CLUNK and shifter wiggle

justthebest

Driving like it's my job
Established Member
I did a "spirited" launch this afternoon, and right as the clutch connected, I heard / felt a HUGE clunk, followed by a loose shifter (the stick has about 3/4" wiggle - feels like some screw came loose / something similar).

Anyone else had this happen?

Temps were normal, and my 5-ish mile drive home was normal with normal shifts and temps.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The stock shifter leaves a lot to be desired. Yet another reason to pick up an MGW when it comes out early next year.

bssmith1220

Established Member
I'm waiting for MGW...who on earth would want a 40% shorter throw than the already fairly short stock one:shrug:

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
Perhaps you felt wheel hop (the clunk-bang) and just head some of the noise from the shifter area, which is normal during wheel hop. The slop in the stock shifter is normal. Regarding the short throw shifters, MGW had a nice tech write-up about shortening the throw in any car and why too much is not good as the factory syncros can't handle it. It's not just a ploy to sell his product, it's true.

justthebest

Driving like it's my job
Established Member
Perhaps you felt wheel hop (the clunk-bang) and just head some of the noise from the shifter area, which is normal during wheel hop. The slop in the stock shifter is normal. Regarding the short throw shifters, MGW had a nice tech write-up about shortening the throw in any car and why too much is not good as the factory syncros can't handle it. It's not just a ploy to sell his product, it's true.

Thanks - I think the clunk wasn't as bad as I initially thought it was. No different in pull / all the gears work well. I definitely understand some shifter wiggle, but before this particular drop of the clutch, my shifter was nice and firm with NO (I was impressed) slop. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread