Cloye's nine position secondary cam gear

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Can someone give me better instructions on how these work? The packaged instructions are worthless.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
In for info as I plan on buying these myself. Can you post pics of what you have? how many gears does it come with? adjustable at just the crank? or the exhaust valve or intake.... or all three? curious myself how all this will work.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
are you talking about the cloyes intake gears? each slot that the key can fit into is 2* of adjust for your intake cams. when paired with a set of trick flow adjustable crank gears you are able to fully degree in your cams since they adjust your exhaust side.
these are much better than the sliding type of cam gears as they'll never move.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, but these can be used on either intake or exhaust. The timing dot on my GT500 is the exact opposite of the timing dot in instructions, so it's a source of confusion for me. The gear is not marked like the instructions either in that it shows degrees advanced or retarded. At this point I'm assuming that the retarded is in 2 degree increments clockwise of the straight up slot and advanced is the opposite. So if I wanted to install my intake cam 2 degrees advanced, I would put the key in that slot and line up the index link on the chain with the dot over the 8 degree retard slot. I'm looking for comfirmation if I'm looking at it correctly.

Last edited:

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
Yes, but these can be used on either intake or exhaust. The timing dot on my GT500 is the exact opposite of the timing dot in instructions, so it's a source of confusion for me. The gear is not marked like the instructions either in that it shows degrees advanced or retarded. At this point I'm assuming that the retarded is in 2 degree increments clockwise of the straight up slot and advanced is the opposite. So if I wanted to install my intake cam 2 degrees advanced, I would put the key in that slot and line up the index link on the chain with the dot over the 8 degree retard slot. I'm looking for comfirmation if I'm looking at it correctly.

I know they have markings on them for what degree yada yada, but they need to be used in conjunction with a degree wheel. I would not trust them to be exact- as you would not trust a cam to be exact in its measure. that's why I said they're for intake only since you adjust the exhaust side using the trick flow adjustable gears. You must degree the exhaust cams first. the index links are only for starting the process really. You are incorrect in that advancing is turning the cam counterclockwise and retarding is clockwise however. here's a link to performing the centerline method of degreeing. http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Instructions/Files/COMP4-102.pdf

Last edited:

JeronimoJC

Established Member
Can someone give me better instructions on how these work? The packaged instructions are worthless.

You are right! Those instructions are worthless. I just updated post #4 in a THREAD that has a couple of links to some good instructions. In the post I also listed what parts and tools I used for a cam swap and degreeing job. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread