Clear Protection film

Kapy

Established Member
Hello everyone,

I am considering the 3M protective film on the impact areas of the GT 500.

Anybody out there have this done to their's yet and have any feedback comments?

If you happen to know any reputable folks to perform this in the Dallas metro market please let me know.

Thanks,

KP

fast ford brian

Established Member
Did the front of my 03 with it 2 years ago. Daily drive mine and so far no nicks or chips and the bugs almost wipe right off. I highly recommend this to any one who drives a nice car .

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
I would look at Link XPEL :beer:
X-Pert tint in Houston did the install on my bumper,hood and fenders. The matte strips were done with Xpel's matte finish clear film. It turned out great !

Kapy

Established Member
Thanks guys appreciate it.

Probably a wise investment although mine is not a daily driver.

eagle eye

Established Member
Hello everyone,

If you happen to know any reputable folks to perform this in the Dallas metro market please let me know.

Thanks,

KP

I can't speak for the latest 3M products but just finished yesterday having the Shelby covered with Xpel Ultimate. Have read nothing but positve reviews about Xpel. 10 year warranty and is transferable.
I had the entire hood,(minus the stripes) entire fenders, A pillars, headlights, driving lights, entire front bumper cover, grille opening, rockers, mirrors, panel between the windshield and the glass roof, lower section of rear quarters and even had the installer plot out film for both doors and rear doglegs below the stripes.
Came out great. Very pleased up to this point but time will tell.
Xpel now has Stealth film thats used on matte colors. You can cover your matte stripes without changing them to a gloss finish.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Xpel or autobahnD. The new venture shield is horrible and I had it removed from my Shelby and put AutobahnD on.

jay38372

Established Member
My recommendation if any one decide to get a clear bra installed by a professional installer is two other places to have them put the film on, they usually have bulk film in stock anyway, along the top of rear bumper in case something gets scrapped loading or unloading the car, and behind the door handles you'll be surprised how much finger nails scratch paint pulling on door handles. Just my .2 cents.

MNCobra

Established Member
i will be doing mine with the 3M clear Bra for my road trip home....this will be the 3rd car i have had with it....

662HP631TQ

Established Member
How do you all wash your cars with this stuff on it? I plan to put it on the front which would be the hood fenders and bumper and maybe the lights.

Thanks!

shelbysvt

Established Member
Hello everyone,

Thanks,

KP

It really depends on the roads in your area. If you plan on switching tires to MSS you won't get the rocks flailing everywhere and won't have to worry as much about it. If your roads are really really terrible then you probably need paint protection film. My car is a DD my roads aren't terrible and I don't have a single rock chip or scratch anywhere (knock on wood).

I've had a bird fly into my grill (and do no damage thank god) but no rocks lol.

There was an earlier thread on this where someone asked and I said venture shield by 3m is garbage and many of the members on here argued and said it was good but I see now some learned first hand about my warning and had it removed (good for them).

If you want a quality film go with the self healing xpel ultimate or the 3m scotchguard. Again ALL films will yellow don't let anyone tell you different. The warranties will only cover as long as the shop you get it from is in business so don't listen to the BS lifetime warranty nonesense.

If this car though is not your DD and your roads are not bad, I wouldn't worry about a paint protection film. I would just use paint protection products instead to make the car more slick. For example zaino AIO makes the car very slick that everything literally slides right off it, even dust.

Now if you want to pay the 2k just for peace of mind and money is no object to you then by all means go ahead since that is a different story.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
It really depends on the roads in your area. If you plan on switching tires to MSS you won't get the rocks flailing everywhere and won't have to worry as much about it. If your roads are really really terrible then you probably need paint protection film. My car is a DD my roads aren't terrible and I don't have a single rock chip or scratch anywhere (knock on wood).

I've had a bird fly into my grill (and do no damage thank god) but no rocks lol.

There was an earlier thread on this where someone asked and I said venture shield by 3m is garbage and many of the members on here argued and said it was good but I see now some learned first hand about my warning and had it removed (good for them).

If you want a quality film go with the self healing xpel ultimate or the 3m scotchguard. Again ALL films will yellow don't let anyone tell you different. The warranties will only cover as long as the shop you get it from is in business so don't listen to the BS lifetime warranty nonesense.

If this car though is not your DD and your roads are not bad, I wouldn't worry about a paint protection film. I would just use paint protection products instead to make the car more slick. For example zaino AIO makes the car very slick that everything literally slides right off it, even dust.

Now if you want to pay the 2k just for peace of mind and money is no object to you then by all means go ahead since that is a different story.

1- I don't recall you ever mentioning that ventureshield didn't work. And since I'm the only person in this thread that said I removed mine- I assume you are referring to me. I removed mine in June- and replaced it with Autobahnd.

2- the warranty from autobahnd is from the company- not the shop. If autobahnd's installer installed it. It's a lifetime warranty.

3- everyone should have clear bra regardless of if they have bad roads or not. These cars go fast. Hitting a rock any errant rock at 100mph will chip your
Paint.

4- where did you get $2000 for clear bra? No one should pay over $500- unless they are getting their whole car done.

5- that is absolutely horrible advice.

Last edited:

shelbysvt

Established Member
1- I don't recall you ever mentioning that ventureshield didn't work. And since I'm the only person in this thread that said I removed mine- I assume you are referring to me. I removed mine in June- and replaced it with Autobahnd.

2- the warranty from autobahnd is from the company- not the shop. If autobahnd's installer installed it. It's a lifetime warranty.

3- everyone should have clear bra regardless of if they have bad roads or not. These cars go fast. Hitting a rock any errant rock at 100mph will chip your
Paint.

4- where did you get $2000 for clear bra? No one should pay over $500- unless they are getting their whole car done.

5- that is absolutely horrible advice.

Chris you paid only 500? I'd like to know where you get urs done. I can't speak for autobahn never heard of them. But xpel and 3m go through the shops at least from what the shops I called told me. All the shops around me for the xpel ultimate and 3m scotchguard charged 2k for the whole front end including rocker panels, a pillars, and mirrors. Yes your right if a rock hits your car at 100mph it most certainly will chip the paint.

To the OP: If you can get any of these quality films for only 500 dollars then I retract my statements and by all means go ahead. I would most definitely get it if it was only 500 or even 800 dollars but unfortunately all shops within 100 miles of me charge upwards of 2k for the self healing xpel or scotchguard.

EDIT: I'll do some research into autobahn though maybe if this is a quality film and cheaper I'll use that. Good suggestion Chris

Last edited:

03outlaw

Established Member
I have been reading the threads regarding paint protection etc. I have a question about the clear bra's etc. Won't the plastic just get pitted up an look like shit as well? Is the idea to just have it changed every few years?

Also, has anyone ever heard of this XZILON Molecular Adhesion? Just curious, because I have some and have been considering applying it. It is supposed to only be available to dealers, but my Dad was a dealer an had a new can he gave me. Any input?

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
I've never heard of someone paying over $700- unless at a dealership.

A friends 458 had his done for $700.

re6uvugy.jpg

shelbysvt

Established Member
I've never heard of someone paying over $700- unless at a dealership.

A friends 458 had his done for $700.

re6uvugy.jpg

Maybe your area is cheaper? I'm not sure why my area they all charge 2k for the high end stuff.

I could get venture shield for 500 on my car though. I like the ferrari and the DIB in the picture though. If I could do it over I'd have gotten candy red or DIB even if DIB is purple sometimes.

I have been reading the threads regarding paint protection etc. I have a question about the clear bra's etc. Won't the plastic just get pitted up an look like shit as well? Is the idea to just have it changed every few years?

Also, has anyone ever heard of this XZILON Molecular Adhesion? Just curious, because I have some and have been considering applying it. It is supposed to only be available to dealers, but my Dad was a dealer an had a new can he gave me. Any input?

I got xzilon on my car at the dealer. Only reason I got it is because they gave it to me for free. Actually I got charged like 15$ for some reason they said they couldn't put 0.

Maybe that is why I don't have rock chips. I'm not sure.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Maybe your area is cheaper? I'm not sure why my area they all charge 2k for the high end stuff.

I could get venture shield for 500 on my car though. I like the ferrari and the DIB in the picture though. If I could do it over I'd have gotten candy red or DIB even if DIB is purple sometimes.

I got xzilon on my car at the dealer. Only reason I got it is because they gave it to me for free. Actually I got charged like 15$ for some reason they said they couldn't put 0.

Maybe that is why I don't have rock chips. I'm not sure.

Dunno where you live- but I live in Boston- everything is more expensive here- so you're getting taken at $2k.

Another friend had his gt2rs done in xpel ultimate including full front fenders and hood for $1000.

So $2k is absurd.

shelbysvt

Established Member
Dunno where you live- but I live in Boston- everything is more expensive here- so you're getting taken at $2k.

Another friend had his gt2rs done in xpel ultimate including full front fenders and hood for $1000.

So $2k is absurd.

Thats what I said. Hence why I don't have a clear bra :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread