Cleaning Your Stripes

Fender34

Established Member
Hey guys. I know I'm intruding on your forum but i have a quick question, bare with me. My friend's dad just got a 09 gt500 and he is afraid to wax the stripes or even clean them.. He is just wondering how you guys clean them or how you are supposed to clean them and what with.. If you guys could help out that would be great.. Thanks!

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I treat them like the paint - I use a clay bar, quality microfiber cloths, and quality paste wax (from someplace like properautocare.com or Adams polishes). I go in the direction of the stripes so as not to fubar the edges. As with waxing, you don't want to use too much pressure. I won't use the Porter-Cable buffer on them though...only by hand.

Last edited:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
For the most part, you can treat them like paint.

You can actually polish them with a PC and the proper pad at a slow speed. They're sooooo easy to scratch it's ridiculous.

Don't use anything with mineral spirits or heavy solvents.

I've been using CG ClearSeal on mine; works well for me.
QUICK DETAILER CLEAR SEAL GLOSS ENHANCER NEW!

CG Final Polish does nicely for cleaning and lightly polishing them (paint too).
scratch and swirl remover FP final polish

CG FP will not take scratches out (the superfine scratches).

A PC, speed 4; 4.5 with a 4" LC white pad; and Menz. 203S worked for me. Work slowly.

Mixxer once recommended to me about the same setup, but used 3M Ultrafina as the polish.

BreezeHill

Established Member
Just got a Shelby with white stripes and found this in query. Thanks I will need to do this . Also anyone know the best way to scrub/clean the brake dust off my svtpp wheels?
I treat them like the paint - I use a clay bar, quality microfiber cloths, and quality paste wax (from someplace like properautocare.com or Adams polishes). I go in the direction of the stripes so as not to fubar the edges. As with waxing, you don't want to use too much pressure. I won't use the Porter-Cable buffer on them though...only by hand.

Users who are viewing this thread