cleaning up the calipers

20SVT03

Wishin for that KB!
Established Member
I'm really looking to paint my calipers. i found a thread on here a while ago where someone took alot of time to sand down the caliper and mounting bracket and then painted them and i thought wrote a How-to but i cant find it by looking through the threads or searching. I'm not super picky about this but i want gloss black and im going to polish the COBRA letters. painting isnt really the issue its getting everything prepped right for a very smooth finish. Initially i thought the brush on paint was the way to go but it looks like spray can is the sure win. i want the appearance of powder coating but without the expense. Any advice on smoothing all of the imperfections out?

BBCOBRA

Established Member
I used the G2 kit. It is a brush on kit but it is a very tough epoxy paint. for prep, all you need to do is take a wire brush and clean off scale and dirt, then spray off with brake cleaner.
The paint is a 2 part epoxy. I mixed mine and started on one caliper and made my way around the car till I had done two coats on all four. It started to get pretty thick by the time I got to the third caliper so I'd suggest you mix half of the batch, do two calipers. mix the other half then do the other two calipers. Mine still has a glossy finish after two years.

I also painted the rotor centers at the same time. I used high temp caliper paint on the rotors and they are starting to fade now.
100_4678.gif

Last edited:

cobracide

Established Member
I used the G2 kit as well on stock rear calipers (black) - the painted calipers looked better than my powdercoated ones. It's probably just the new paint gloss though, a bit reflective where as the powdercoat (stock 10th anniversary red) was flat. Apply several coats.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
You can get all the G2 stuff on eBay cheaper than buying it in the store. The place I bought mine from shipped it for free also.

Had my front (Brembo) calipers powder-coated, but here is the rear in the G2 silver:

P1010961.gif

The rotors still look like crap, so will probably just spray-paint the hubs silver with the high-temp caliper paint from AutoZone...

20SVT03

Wishin for that KB!
Established Member
BBCOBRA thats pretty much what im going for but its smoothing out the texture that i want to fix. I'm not knocking it because it looks great but see the dimples of the caliper bracket and the slight imperfections that show through the paint because the caliper isnt smooth thats what i want to get rid of. i want it to look like yours but smooth as if it was a new set of powder coated brembo rotors

greengt88

Established Member
Get a set of used stock rears, spend some time sanding them and prep them super well. Paint job is only as good as the prep work.

BBCOBRA

Established Member
yeah, that's what it would take to make them smooth. I have seen some where they sanded them down and even polished to a mirror like finish. They look great that way but it takes alot more time.

SpectorV

Established Member
the BEST way to do it is to remove them and break them down and paint them then put it all back together. Sanding/cleaning very good is the base then coat them good (light coats to get going so it doesnt run and in warm temps) then you can get a little heavier as you go. Plan about 5-10 coats slowly to get it right.. but dont put to much paint as well as not to little.

I need to repaint my rears...

20SVT03

Wishin for that KB!
Established Member
So Its been about three slow weeks now of grinding, smoothing, and painting my calipers but they are turning out so good. One at a time I take them to my shop, grind down all the little imperfections, clean them, shoot them with about 5-6 coats of gloss black and then 2-3 coats of clear. I must say its a very nice touch, I just cant wait to have it all put back together.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Huh? You're going to tell us you're nearing completion of redoing your calipers and you are teasing us by not posting a pic? LOL! Seriously, you should take a pic of one of the finished calipers to whet our appetite, and then when everything is installed post a final pic of the finished product with the wheels mounted. I'll bet they're going to look awesome with the amount of work you're putting into the prep.

SpectorV

Established Member
make sure you are using high temp paint and do the rotors as well with silver or what ever.. the calipers will look great but if the rotors are all rusty it wont matter one bit as everyone will focus on that instead of the calipers.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Three weeks to clean and coat calipers? Wow. Seems a powder-coating job or some of the G2 stuff would have been much easier. From what I have heard, high-temp paint will still always come off...

20SVT03

Wishin for that KB!
Established Member
first i have to figure out how to post pics on here. basically its taken three weeks because im not overly determined to get it done. Powder coating would have been nice but i was trying to go the cheap route

Users who are viewing this thread