cleaning the k&n fipk

64comet

Established Member
It is really easy. Just take the filter off and follow the directions on the recharge kit. As far as how often, when it is dirty. Many things make a difference in how often needed, but when you think it needs cleaned, clean it. Only takes a few minutes, let it dry over night and then oil it and reinstall in the morning. :beer:

Thrust

Established Member
I clean my filter every six months or so. I usually do it every daylight savings time.

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
I think it depends on where you live as well .. SO much crap in this Texas air, I bet I clean mine every 3 - 4 months ..

Crowley

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
At each oil change, you should remove the filter and brush out any debris. I use a nice painter's brush (unused of course) and run the brush along the ribs of the filter.

Every 12-15,000 would be the clean/re-oil time frame I have always used. When I re-oil (after it has dried off good), I spray (not too heavy on the spraying, just a light coat) then let it sit overnight, wipe off any excess oil which has dripped then install. After about a week or two, it would be a good idea to spray the MAF element with an electrical contact cleaner in case some oil builds up on the MAF wire. No need to clean/re-oil too often.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
SnakeBit said:
At each oil change, you should remove the filter and brush out any debris. I use a nice painter's brush (unused of course) and run the brush along the ribs of the filter.

Every 12-15,000 would be the clean/re-oil time frame I have always used. When I re-oil (after it has dried off good), I spray (not too heavy on the spraying, just a light coat) then let it sit overnight, wipe off any excess oil which has dripped then install. After about a week or two, it would be a good idea to spray the MAF element with an electrical contact cleaner in case some oil builds up on the MAF wire. No need to clean/re-oil too often.
EXCELLENT comments and instructions. I especially like your recommendation to (A) be careful not of over-oil the element, and (B) check the MAF wire after a week. The issue of oil building up on the wire is more likely to occur when the filter is over-oiled. I also think once a year is sufficient for the average driver.

I'd like to toss out a suggestion. It would be better to perform maintenance of any type by the mileage vs. using a seasonal time stamp like DST. Keep a Maintenance Log on your computer or use the one in the back of your Owners Manual. I especially like the computer version because you can check it reguarly and put upcoming maintenance on a computerized calendar such as the one found in Microsoft Outlook. Just a thought.

Here is a GREAT software product that will do all of the above for you, and more. And it's only $39.95 for the desktop version. Check out the Scheduled Maintenance screen. A great way to not only record your maintenance, but it even tracks fuel economy and alerts you when scheduled maintenance is coming up. Kind of like a Quicken version of auto maintenance. I'd highly recommend checking it out. Here's the link.
http://www.carcaresoftware.com/mobile/top_intro.htm

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
I've never cleaned mine, my car has probably 8k miles on it since I installed. where do I get the "recharge" kit?

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Get the Recharge Kit. I have found them where ever they sell K&N Filters. It comes with the cleaner and the oil.

Users who are viewing this thread