Cleaning CCW's???

RC-5.0

Established Member
What's the best stuff and best way to clean CCW Classic wheels?

Any non-acidic wheel cleaner should be fine. I use Adam's All purpose cleaner on wheel and tires with a special brush for tires and one for wheels. If you have a lot of Brake dust, you can use either Adams Deep wheel Cleaner or Sonax Full Effects Wheel cleaner...both of these are spray, let sit for a minute or so, then brush away. You want to avoid anything that says "spray and rinse" or anything to that effect...Anything that is safe for the wheel's finish will have to be "agitated" to remove dirt/grease. I even use a sponge with soap water for the wheels.

Hope this helps
RC

Last edited:

10fore

Established Member
Brushes will definitely be your friend, that's for sure! I recommend looking in to the Wheel Wands/Woolies from Griot's Garage. I use them a lot as they work well and save a lot of time. As far as chemical product wise, if the wheels and tires are not caked in brake dust, a good APC or even soap and water will work. If there is a lot of brake dust, the products that RC mentioned would work well. I personally use AMMO Plum and the other products within the wheel regimen that Larry has.

-Tyler

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
No offense but have you guys ever actually owned CCW's? I wouldn't use a brush nor chemical cleaner whatsoever on them. CCW are raw aluminum and will scratch/stain easily. I scratched brand new SP505's with very mild finishing polish.

Ryan...get you a Shine Seal kit from Steve at TF, go voer the rims with Mother's or Adam's #2 metal polish (use #1 if you have oxidation and top with #2), then seal them with Shine Seal. CCW's require extra maintenance and alot of TLC. Wash with a clean mf wash mitt and mild car shampoo then air dry them with a blower.

Last edited:

10fore

Established Member
Actually, I've owned two different sets of CCW's one of those sets being classics and not once did I have any issues with scratches, stains or any discoloration. Granted, I never let the wheels build up with any extreme amount of grime or brake dust, so the use of very aggressive chemicals was something that rarely happened. Using the microfiber wheel wands that I have and had at the time of the CCW's worked well for me, as did the water based cleaning agents I used.

zeus201

Established Member
If my Classics (fully polished) are "super dirty" I'll use Sonax Full Effect and wheel woolies. Routine cleanings I use normal car soap with wheel woolies.

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
Actually, I've owned two different sets of CCW's one of those sets being classics and not once did I have any issues with scratches, stains or any discoloration. Granted, I never let the wheels build up with any extreme amount of grime or brake dust, so the use of very aggressive chemicals was something that rarely happened. Using the microfiber wheel wands that I have and had at the time of the CCW's worked well for me, as did the water based cleaning agents I used.

I've owned 3 sets, my sp500's stained with a drop of hard water that sat for a few hours unnoticed. My new (literally in the box) set of 505's scratched with a finishing polish application. That was the final step of Shine Seal, which totally blew.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I wouldn't use a brush nor chemical cleaner whatsoever on them. CCW are raw aluminum and will scratch/stain easily. I scratched brand new SP505's with very mild finishing polish. CCW's require extra maintenance and alot of TLC.

+1

My sp500s will scratch just looking at them wrong. I do not advise a brush either. I use microfibers that are sopping wet and spray the rim generously before wiping. Use barely any pressure or you'll be sorry. I also highly recommend drying with air to avoid any more contact than is necessary and this will practically eliminate water spotting if you're thorough.

Maybe with more intricate face designed classics you could get away with a few minor scratches....not so with the wide open to the world sp500s....all is bared. The rear barrels are visible clean thru, you had better be ready...."near perfect" doesn't cut it lol

10fore

Established Member
I've owned 3 sets, my sp500's stained with a drop of hard water that sat for a few hours unnoticed. My new (literally in the box) set of 505's scratched with a finishing polish application. That was the final step of Shine Seal, which totally blew.
Well, that's interesting and rather unfortunate. I guess I have somehow managed to have a rather decent amount of good luck then.

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
+1

My sp500s will scratch just looking at them wrong. I do not advise a brush either. I use microfibers that are sopping wet and spray the rim generously before wiping. Use barely any pressure or you'll be sorry. I also highly recommend drying with air to avoid any more contact than is necessary and this will practically eliminate water spotting if you're thorough.

Maybe with more intricate face designed classics you could get away with a few minor scratches....not so with the wide open to the world sp500s....all is bared. The rear barrels are visible clean thru, you had better be ready...."near perfect" doesn't cut it lol

You are forgetting that you should kiss them goodnight and tuck them in warmly. No amount of pampering raw aluminum is too much.

zeus201

Established Member
I also use Adams 1 & 2 with nice MF towels. Usually takes me several hours to all of the wheels. I suppose one could use a powerball or 4" polishing pads on a dual action polisher.

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
I was referring to the regular Mother's but the billet polish is even better. You won't go wrong with the Adam's two step process either. A good one step only would be the Mother's. Take your time and you will be happy. I still say call Steve at TF and order Shine Seal, minus the polish. Once you do all that work, you want to be sure you have them sealed up well.

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
Just don't get the polish unless you have other projects, it'll save you like $10. The polish is good stuff though so for $10 more, it's a nice addition for future polishing.

2004TBV

Living the dream
Established Member
So I did a test area and there are certain spots that look dull. I found that I had to rub vigorously and firmly to get them to liven up. Am I doing something wrong? I did a section about 3" long and my arm was ready to fall off I had to rub so much. Could I use a Mothers Powerball/cone?

Users who are viewing this thread