Clean Engine Bay Progress/Ideas

Jwelch159

Established Member
Building a 5.4 DOHC and trying to clean things up a lot. I hate seeing wires and hoses everywhere so I am attempting to keep things simple and clean. Starting this thread to show what I'm doing, the progress I've made, and to get some more ideas from you guys.

So far I've smoothed out the valve covers a bit on the lower side. I know you won't really see them on the 5.4 unless you're really looking. 9xX2PJm.jpg57fDkOP.jpg
Valve covers are at hydrodip now getting some fake carbon fiber slapped on them. Got some nice washers with counter sunk bolts to really jazz them up. (Picture before smoothing and dip)

Ive now started building a custom upper intake. I had a Boss 260 which I hacked up to make my own upper. Trying to hide the IAC and move all vacuum ports and what not to the back side or under the intake. Going to do front entry with the throttle body. AvFbHiV.jpg

Attachments

• O2GtgBu.jpg
    O2GtgBu.jpg
    646.6 KB · Views: 579

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Looking good. I'm interested to see what all you do. I run a Sullivan intake and I have gotten rid of a few things over the years, but I've never gotten around to actually cutting any wire and deleting anything. Where did you get the washers on the head covers?

Mrpancho95

Established Member
Looks good interested in seeing how that upper intake looks when done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jwelch159

Established Member
Got a picture from the dipper. Going to try and pick them up this weekend. Trying to figure out what color to paint timing cover and all the accessories. Debating between a aluminum silver or a more dark gold(ish) shade of pewter. Any input?27226416430_da84cf9255_b.jpg

Jwelch159

Established Member
Got the valve covers and I'm pretty pleased with them. Some warping in the "carbon fiber" lines but overall not to bad. Also filled in the 32v plaque on the coil cover27034915854_49d0cfe1dd_b.jpg

Blown38

Established Member
Valve covers look great!

I took ours one step further and welded a plate over the lower recessed area.

20120221_203723.jpg

Jwelch159

Established Member
Finally have done enough for an update! Through switching jobs and buying28021815444_f0e0188e8f_b.jpg a 93 cobra that needed some work I finally got to sit down with the intake for a little bit. Needs a little more shaping and a few more pieces fitted and I should be ready to weld.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
How did you come up with that design for the intake? Are the two plenums connected anywhere besides the throttle body? How long are the runners going to be?

Jwelch159

Established Member
Have always wanted a front entry intake but wanted something more substantial looking than the Sullivan. Not sure on exact runner length. This is just an upper intake so it's all hollow underneath to bolt on to a boss 260 lower which is similar to the cobra R lower intake.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
So it's just one big plenum? I couldn't tell if those tubes were individual or it they were cut and connected. I've been toying with designing my own intake for a while so I was curious at how you came up with this.

Jwelch159

Established Member
Yep all hollow underneath for one big plenum. Took the upper off boss intake and just cut off the base of it and used that as the base for the tubes.

Jwelch159

Established Member
Building full motor for N/A e85, 12.5:1+ All forged, head work, custom cams. Wanting a 7,500rpm motor around 500hp motor

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Well done on those mods. That should definitely be a wild looking intake. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread