Clay Model Shows Ugly Hood

NVWSSV

Read It Upside Down
Established Member
I received a press kit from the 2005 New York Auto Show from last year. This kit was for the unveiling of the GT500. After viewing one of the videos, I noticed two quick clips showing the ugly hood. Here are a few screen shots I took for you to look at.

It just makes me wonder if this is the hood they were planning to use all this time and just showed us the good-looking hood to set the hook.

uglyhood2.jpg

raisedvents.jpg

blubyeu

Established Member
This hood?

jqnldx.jpg

jqnlnq.jpg

It actually looks a little better in person, but I like the 03/04 recessed Cobra hood better than the bulging hood.

NVWSSV

Read It Upside Down
Established Member
chuckstang said:
those clay model pix above looked photochopped anyway
While they may look chopped, I guarantee they are not. I don't even know how to use photoshop. They are screen prints from a video. Other guys here that have the press kit can verify the video, like crazyhorse06's post.

NVWSSV

Read It Upside Down
Established Member
blubyeu said:
This hood?
Yeah, that hood. But what I'm trying to say is that these clay models were made before the concept was unveiled at the 2005 NY Auto Show. The yellow GT500 pics showed up in the summer, a good 5 or 6 months after the NY Show.

It bugs me that Ford showed us the Terminator-like hood when it looks like they had this hood in the works all along. Some people have used the Bait And Switch analogy, I didn't want to go along with that but now I may have to agree. For some reason it's just not sitting right with me.

Maybe Ford didn't have time to get this hood ready for the NY Show? This could be a good argument, but if they only had clay models at this point, how could they know the hood needed to release more air/heat from under it?

Thanks for letting me rant, I feel better now. Done.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
You know it seems every second time somebody posts a pics, someone else says it looks photchopped. Why would he photochop the pic?

I would like to see someone take that pic and photchop the concept hood on it, and see what a chop job looks like.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
they already knew the hood needed to release more air because the V6/GT stangs build up pressure under there, not to mention the pressure buildup that caused the hood to blow off on the mulitmatic(pretty sure it was theres) FR500. im not sure if the concept hood would be able to let out all that pressure considering how far forward the vents are in the hood, not to mention the fact that its already been said that it didnt provide enough clearance for the s'charged 5.4l anyways.

crazyhorse06

Established Member
Ry_Trapp0 said:
they already knew the hood needed to release more air because the V6/GT stangs build up pressure under there, not to mention the pressure buildup that caused the hood to blow off on the mulitmatic(pretty sure it was theres) FR500. im not sure if the concept hood would be able to let out all that pressure considering how far forward the vents are in the hood, not to mention the fact that its already been said that it didnt provide enough clearance for the s'charged 5.4l anyways.
Bingo.

Milstang

Established Member
And another ditto...

I also have the press kit and that is from one of the videos. You can see it a little better where Carroll is touching the vent in the second pic.

Kenardo

Established Member
Ugly Hood

Please tell me that Ford has enough brains to go into production with the original Prototype Hood ( perhaps the koolest looking hood I've ever seen on a car next to the Ford GT ) and not the UGLY HOOD !!! The UGLY HOOD turns the Mustang Shelby into a GUNKER ! Who do you have to get to at Ford to stop this insanity. The guy who came up with the UGLY HOOD should be shot. God Help Us !!!

mrsuds

Established Member
Kenardo said:
Please tell me that Ford has enough brains to go into production with the original Prototype Hood ( perhaps the koolest looking hood I've ever seen on a car next to the Ford GT ) and not the UGLY HOOD !!! The UGLY HOOD turns the Mustang Shelby into a GUNKER ! Who do you have to get to at Ford to stop this insanity. The guy who came up with the UGLY HOOD should be shot. God Help Us !!!

If all it takes to turn you off on the car is the hood than you were never a big fan of the car in the first place.

Try to look pass the hood, there's more to the car than just that..

Kenardo

Established Member
The UGLY SHELBY HOOD

Ya right let's all look past the UGLY SHELBY HOOD. Ok, how about if we put a brown bag over it when we get it. I played hockey & football with some guys who used to do that with their dates, well let's not call them dates.
Oh, you know what I mean. UGLY !!! An UGLY HOOD is an UGLY HOOD !!!The designers at GM and Mopar must be laughing their heads off over this screw up.

crazyhorse06

Established Member
mrsuds said:
If all it takes to turn you off on the car is the hood than you were never a big fan of the car in the first place.

Try to look pass the hood, there's more to the car than just that..
not to mention that the concept hood will not function correctly.

"It might blow hoods off every time I get up to 75mph, but, they sure look good each time I get them replaced."

I agree with mrsuds. If the hood or the wheel size or the lack of IRS turns you off enough to not buy the car, you either weren't a fan to begin with or you never intended to buy one and are just internet bitching.

Kenardo

Established Member
Ugly Hood

If the UGLY HOOD on the Shelby is the best that Ford can come up with for the air lift problem then its no wonder the whole company is having money trouble. I wonder why the new R/T on the news stands this week is not having these problems ? Come to think of it the GT500R isn't having this problem. Makes you go ?????

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
ok then almighty-expert-in-the-fields-of-engineering-and-design, what is your suggestion? a cowl induction? wait, those are designed to suck air in. how about a hood like the 03/04s? oh wait, thats the concept hood and the scoops are to far forward to be effective AND it doesnt provide enough clearance. then theres the air extraction design like we are seeing now. oh wait, that wont work because its ugly. i guess ill take a hood that keeps the pressure inside the engine bay, and keeping the heat from the supercharger in also, but atleast it will look good. right?

lets see you come up with a good looking yet effective hood, genius.

crazyhorse06

Established Member
Kenardo said:
If the UGLY HOOD on the Shelby is the best that Ford can come up with for the air lift problem then its no wonder the whole company is having money trouble. I wonder why the new R/T on the news stands this week is not having these problems ? Come to think of it the GT500R isn't having this problem. Makes you go ?????
Ugliness must equal function.

R/T must not have this problem because it is ugly all over.

What GT500R?

Users who are viewing this thread