Cig lighter under head unit not working

5.4ever

Crawling before Walking
Established Member
I recently plugged in an air pump to this socket and left it on too long, because when I came back to it, the pump had stopped. The other socket by the arm rest works fine and all electric components work also. Is this socket pused independently??? I doubt it.

Can it be the actual socket?? Has anyone replaced it? I need it for my detector

4601S/C

Established Member
Have you checked the fuses yet? Not just visually scanning over them, but testing them with a test light? If you don't have one they are super cheap and can be had at a local auto store.

oldmodman

Established Member
I had a socket go "bad" in another Ford product and as soon as I touched the fuse the socket started working again. I removed and replaced the fuse and sanded the metal tangs in the fuse socket. It worked ever since.

It must have started arcing since I had a big spotlight plugged into the socket and it must have been right at the max current. the fuse socket arced and messed up the contact.

04Mach1Blurr

1st GT500 M122 Eaton Mach
Established Member
Check the fuse first, its located under the driver's dash, just use the owners manual to locate the correct fuse location. If that is no good, pop up the shift boot cover and see if the connector (to the left of the shifter) is connected tight. That is the harness for most things in the center dash.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I had that very same problem but never fixed it. Just didn't really use it. I'm guessing a fuse, though.

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
I had that problem on my old vert. It was the cig lighter itself. I believe the fuse is for both plugs so they would both be out if it was the fuse. I pulled the console and the fuse plug had power so i knew it was just a broken/dead lighter. I never replaced it because i never used it much.

5.4ever

Crawling before Walking
Established Member
I had that problem on my old vert. It was the cig lighter itself. I believe the fuse is for both plugs so they would both be out if it was the fuse. I pulled the console and the fuse plug had power so i knew it was just a broken/dead lighter. I never replaced it because i never used it much.

This makes the most sense. Thanks

Well the only reason I need this for the radar. I have been looking into hardwiring it so that may be easier. thanks guys

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Please post up what you end of doing to fix the issue. Ie. replacing the fuse. This will help someone in the future who might have the same problem and read through this thread. Thanks. :)

Users who are viewing this thread