Chrome SS Bumper Insert Problem

Roots25

Roots25
Established Member
Hey speeders,
I got the ss bumper inserts for my cobra, and the B and parts of the R and O are peeling off, any ideas? I know i installed them correctly, looks like some of the adhesive dried up or something.

Trying to save the bumper, been told a heat gun to warm the glue and pull them off? not sure what to try.

Are there other lettering that i can use thats not Stainlesssteel, that lay in the bumper better?

thanks again

chris

dsrtdukone

Hurts when I pee
Established Member
A heat gun works well. You might also want to try goo-gone or something similar. By the way, where in Ohio?

Roots25

Roots25
Established Member
thanks guys, from Huron, Ohio, right by cedar point, what do you suggest, taking the letters that are peeling off...off, and reinstall them again w/ new letters, or taking them all off and buying a vinyl or something else that fits better

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
I've had mine on for two years and haven't lost a letter yet and other guys have had them on longer. Sounds like install-prep wasn't done right or you just got some bad adhesive. Try the heat gun or sliding some fishing line between the bumper and adhesive to remove the offenders. 3M has some good two-sided tape at NAPA, Autozone or O'Reilly's. Good luck.

Roots25

Roots25
Established Member
thanks guys, nah im going to hold on to them, just need to get them seated better, thanks

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse

moonltgold

mysticsvt said:
Had problems with the SS and I prepped well. Cut my hand once cleaning and the curvature of my bumper didnt help them stay. I ended up buying the 3D bumper inserts off ebay for $40 bucks. I have Chrome ones on my GT and Black ones on my Cobra.-Shane

Where do you get the black Cobra inserts? Been looking around for them and can only find stainless.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Got them like 6 months ago. Go to the link I posted and call them or email and they will send them-Shane

Scott 01Cobra

have bling will travel
Established Member
Roots25 said:
Hey speeders,
I got the ss bumper inserts for my cobra, and the B and parts of the R and O are peeling off, any ideas? I know i installed them correctly, looks like some of the adhesive dried up or something.

Trying to save the bumper, been told a heat gun to warm the glue and pull them off? not sure what to try.

Are there other lettering that i can use thats not Stainlesssteel, that lay in the bumper better?

thanks again

chris

Do you know who's product it is??? Once in a blue moon a bad section of tape could be your problem. Depends on whether it's coming off the bumper or the letters. If it's coming off the bumper then it prolly was not prepped 100%. Who ever you purchased them from should stand behind the product.

If you need some tape, I'll be in Norwalk Ohio for the FFW event from July 6-9. I could always bring along some tape for you, then you can pull them off and retape them. My tape will stay on forever. If they are my letters, the tape is free ;) but it does not sound like they are.

Staying at the Amerihost but send me a PM and let me know. It's only 2 weeks away.

PS - Fishing line is generally what I use - 60 pd test.

Last edited:

Scott 01Cobra

have bling will travel
Established Member
moonlt said:
mysticsvt said:
Had problems with the SS and I prepped well. Cut my hand once cleaning and the curvature of my bumper didnt help them stay. I ended up buying the 3D bumper inserts off ebay for $40 bucks. I have Chrome ones on my GT and Black ones on my Cobra.-Shane

Where do you get the black Cobra inserts? Been looking around for them and can only find stainless.

Black Chrome (stainless) are now available .... Check link in sig above.

Mad Max

Mod Crazy
Established Member
I took mine off (car came with them). The letters were flat and the bumper curved and parts of certain letters stuck out and away from the bumper. Plus mine were not nice chrome. Bought some letter inserts instead and am much happier with the look and fitment.

moonltgold

Mad Max said:
I took mine off (car came with them). The letters were flat and the bumper curved and parts of certain letters stuck out and away from the bumper. Plus mine were not nice chrome. Bought some letter inserts instead and am much happier with the look and fitment.

What did you use to get the letters off? 3M general purpose adhesive? Did you have to heat the letters up first?

I need to do the same thing.

Mad Max

Mod Crazy
Established Member
I just pulled them off. A few got bent, but I did not care. Just wanted them off. Used lighter fluid to remove residual adhesive off bumper.

moonltgold

Mad Max said:
I just pulled them off. A few got bent, but I did not care. Just wanted them off. Used lighter fluid to remove residual adhesive off bumper.

And the paint was OK after you pulled them off and used the lighter fluid?

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Yeah...try the "OOPS" or the "GOOBGONE". Lighter fluid is for lighting fires-Shane

spray175

Established Member
this is happening to me now too. I got mine from mustangworld. Only had them on for two months and 3 letters are starting to come off

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Still love my 3D bumper inserts. Ten times better than the vinyl and last ten longer than the SS and much easier to clean-Shane

Users who are viewing this thread