Christmas, Commercial, Religious, or Both?

Christmas for you is...

• Commercial

Votes: 36 43.4%
  • Religious

Votes: 17 20.5%
  • Both

Votes: 30 36.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bkaul

Established Member
The origin of the date actually seems to come from a second or third century tradition tying the date of Jesus' death to the anniversary of his conception. December 25 is 9 months after March 25, which is the date which equated to the date of his death comparing the Hebrew and Roman calendars for that year.

But the Hebrew calendar doesn't correspond exactly with the Roman one from one year to the next (c.f. the changing dates of Passover, etc.), and it's just a generic "+ 9 months" origin, never stated as a precise anniversary.

Other theories have tied the date of Jesus' birth to the Jewish Feast of Tabernacles, largely based on the eschatological associations of "the day of the Lord" with that feast in Zechariah and elsewhere. These theories are more modern in origin, and fit some of the evidence well, though they don't line up with the traditional date. Christians in the first couple centuries didn't seem to pay much attention to the date of Jesus' birth - it was the third century or so before any records start popping up. So an exact date is impossible to determine in any case.

Yes, it's often simplified as "Christmas is Jesus' birthday" but I don't know that many people when pressed would say that they think means December 25 is the exact date he was born, or even interpret the phrase as being a claim of that. It's a holiday that's celebrated near one of the dates that's a possibility for when he could've been born, and that date's as good as any other we have, so we celebrate it as "Jesus' birthday" whether or not he was really born on that date, and aren't terribly concerned with the precision of the estimate.

Last edited:

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
Yes, it's often simplified as "Christmas is Jesus' birthday" but I don't know that many people when pressed would say that they think means December 25 is the exact date he was born, or even interpret the phrase as being a claim of that. It's a holiday that's celebrated near one of the dates that's a possibility for when he could've been born, and that date's as good as any other we have, so we celebrate it as "Jesus' birthday" whether or not he was really born on that date, and aren't terribly concerned with the precision of the estimate.

Who is this "we" you seem to want to represent? I'm not going to start another long debate about all this shit. I was making a point, not poking you to google your afternoon away.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
wow some of the responses are a bit.....
i'll put it to you this way, i have a 2yr old yeah that lil guy in my Sig and there's nothing better that i like to see than his face when he opens his gifts. i got him a tricycle for his b-day and he was so happy, there's nothing like that feeling. i don't see it as commercial but religious and just personal happiness. if you guys don't have kids you'll understand when you do.

bkaul

Established Member
Who is this "we" you seem to want to represent? I'm not going to start another long debate about all this shit. I was making a point, not poking you to google your afternoon away.
I dunno, Western Christians in general who celebrate Christmas on Dec. 25 as opposed to Eastern ones who prefer Jan. 6? I'm not trying to misrepresent anyone, just trying to share the historical info of why it's celebrated when it is since you brought it up ... really, I started out here trying to back you up on plausible non-December dates that people have theorized; I'm not sure what triggered the argumentative response? If you don't like my wording, paraphrase it to your heart's content when you read it. I'm not trying to raise your hackles or pick a fight.

Have a Merry Christmas :)

Last edited:

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
I dunno, Western Christians in general who celebrate Christmas on Dec. 25 as opposed to Eastern ones who prefer Jan. 6? I'm not trying to misrepresent anyone, just trying to share the historical info of why it's celebrated when it is since you brought it up ... really, I started out here trying to back you up on plausible non-December dates that people have theorized; I'm not sure what triggered the argumentative response? If you don't like my wording, paraphrase it to your heart's content when you read it. I'm not trying to raise your hackles or pick a fight.

Have a Merry Christmas :)

I must have missed something in the context above. I respectfully shut my mouth now.

bkaul

Established Member
Cool. Sorry if I worded anything poorly myself.

Back to the poll, I'd go more for the "religious" aspect. I hate shopping. ;) Good point by lobra97 though that the one doesn't have to be opposed to the other - giving gifts is always good when we don't get too carried away.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
Commercial for myself (have to celebrate the Winter Solstice and all), but somewhat religious by virtue of my wife.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
my family also makes a birthday cake for jesus and sings happy birthday every year, religion is not dead in my family, christmas is a time to celebrate god and jesus and part of that is the time spent with friends, family, and participating in a feast and gifts

Users who are viewing this thread