Chips vs. Direct Flash

need4snake

Banned
I got rid of a Mach 1 a few months ago and I had a Diablo Revolution Chip for it, I think it stores two tunes. Anyway, is this worth hanging on to? I was going to try and sell it if I can to help pay for some new parts. Would I have any use for it on my 04 Termi? Everyone is just flashing the computers directly now right?

The only mods I'm going to do are 2.76 or 2.93 pulley exhaust, CAI etc...

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Is it the Black one? They can be re-written the reds can't. If your tuner uses Diablo software it's a good option if you don't already have a handheld for the Cobra..

need4snake

Banned
Yeah that's the other problem... I have a handheld for the Mach 1, but it won't work on the Cobra. I'm gonna call Diablosport next week and see if they will swap it out. But yeah it is the black chip with the little devil horns on it. No question it can be re-written. So unless I can get Diablosport to swap out my handheld or at least give me a fair deal on trade I guess I should hang on to the chip.

Last edited:

need4snake

Banned
Yeah I haven't done any dyno tuning in quite a few years, but the guy who did my diablo chip is still around I think.

I think I would rather move to direct flash though with a handheld. Believe it or not, I just bought this car a few weeks ago with 38K on it and the Ford dealer was able to give me a full 3/36 warranty on it. When you flash the computer and restore it back to stock there is no way for them to tell it was ever modified. Where as the old story with the chips is that you end up removing that cover and the silicone on the computer interface and that's how they tell you screwed with it.

Oakley

Established Member
I have one of these too. I took mine out because my tuner can only flash and i dont have the hand held unit. Are these things worth anything?

JMD0346

Established Member
I use a black REV chip too. Im gonna switch to a handheld though next time I get a re-tune.

You should be able to use it on your Cobra I would think. IMO Id go ahead and get a Predator/Xcal etc. for it if you have the loot.

Both do the same thing but with a handheld you get real time data and data logging capabilities.

I dont know about your tuner but mine used to give a trade up credit for the chips to a handheld. Not sure if he still does.

GodStang

Established Member
I recommend getting a handheld. The ability to datalog is great. Why can you not use your Mach1 handheld on the Cobra? I used a 2005 V6 SCT XcalII on a 2003 GT and then on two 2003 Cobras. Would figure it would be the same.

Users who are viewing this thread