Chip/Programmer for 2004 F250 5.4l

jimjeffords

Established Member
I am looking for my best option out there for this model. I want something I can change programs with or toggle between. Mainly right now I am looking for gas mileage improvement. What chip/programmer offers the best savings on gas mileage?
Thanks
Jim

jimjeffords

Established Member
How about a custom tune?
My buddy has the exact same truck I do. I mean identical except for color.
He gets about 16-17mpg and I get 13-13.5
He was using a superchip but i cant find the model he has listed for sale anymore. He also has a 5.4l..
Because of this I just replaced plugs, fuel filter, air filter, oil, flushed trans, flushed diffs to try to help out and it went from about 12.6 to 13.4 but still nowhere near the 16-17 he gets. My other buddy has the exact same truck but his is a year newer and he is getting a solid 15 but not sure which chip.

Last edited:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
That's probably your difference in mileage is the rear end.

I can't think of anyone that uses chips anymore on OBD-II vehicles. Most reflash the ECM.

jimjeffords

Established Member
So do you think that reflashing the ECM is a better alternative if looking for better gas mileage than a chip?
I talked to him last night and he hasnt changed a thing except the chip. He hasnt touched the gearing. Did they have them come out with different ring and pin from the factory?
Maybe mine has been changed since I bought mine used. He bought his brand new off the lot

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Per wikipedia:
The rear suspension on all F-250 models and some F-350 models use a 10.5-inch (270 mm) Sterling 10.5 axle 35-spline axle with choices of conventional or limited-slip differentials in 3.73, 4.10, and 4.30:1 ratios

so it depends.

Users who are viewing this thread