China, err, GM motors

Detroit_Doc

Established Member
I dare you to watch this and not be pissed.

LiveLeak.com - GM is China motors , thank you barry

I've lived in Detroit all my life. I've had friends and family at the HQs of Ford, Chrysler and GM. I've heard many stories (mainly from GM) about meeting after meeting about moving jobs overseas for years.

If you think you are "Buying American" when you buy GM, watch this video and think again. The worst part is the technology transfer to the Chinese. The U.S. spends many years and dollars to invent processes and techniques and then we give it all to the Chinese for the promise of cheap labor.

SicShelby09

Banned
I dare you to watch this and not be pissed.

LiveLeak.com - GM is China motors , thank you barry

I've lived in Detroit all my life. I've had friends and family at the HQs of Ford, Chrysler and GM. I've heard many stories (mainly from GM) about meeting after meeting about moving jobs overseas for years.

If you think you are "Buying American" when you buy GM, watch this video and think again. The worst part is the technology transfer to the Chinese. The U.S. spends many years and dollars to invent processes and techniques and then we give it all to the Chinese for the promise of cheap labor.

You think fords are all american?????? lol, mt82 is all i gotta say.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
No car is 100% American, but it looks like GM is moving more towards the China market. Obviously they make more money overseas, cheaper labor.

You think fords are all american?????? lol, mt82 is all i gotta say.

German design, assembled by the Chinese.

Last edited:

Shoeman 1

Established Member
My wife's Hyundai Sonata is just as much as an American made car as most of the The Big Three. Although it is a foreign company and their profits go back home. I'm sure a lot of the Big Three profits never make it back to this country, as they are usually hidden in off shore accounts to avoid paying taxes on those profits.

jlauth

Established Member
No car is 100% American, but it looks like GM is moving more towards the China market. Obviously they make more money overseas, cheaper labor.

German design, assembled by the Chinese.

Its not just that fellas...lets see 300 mill americans vs 1.3 billion chinese. Thats a lot of Chinese people to sale cars to...so if GM, Ford, and Chrysler dont sell cars over there they will struggle. There are more cars sold in China now than there are in the US and its because of the huge population and the fact that much of the country is moving forward technologically. The major problem is that none can sell cars there unless its a partnership. They can only be a 49% shareholder, and have to partner with a chinese company that is the majority owner.

I'm not saying that the big 3 should push all of their manufacturing over there (I would be jobless if they did), but they are going to have to get in on that market if they want to be sustainable.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This story has been unfolding for years. No surprises. The worse is yet to come.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Both GM and Ford build more cars outside the U.S. than in. That should be no surprise to anyone. They are also trying to reduce jobs in western Europe, because costs are so high.

Ford is investing $5 billion in China in efforts to catch up. We are in a Global economy, and this is the way it is. The overhead in the U.S. is not even comparable to China, so why not. Good business IMO. The Chinese market has a lot of room to grow.

Last edited:

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
What does everyone expect when unions have crippled the big three?

[youtube_browser]s2CxgJVZYA8[/youtube_browser]

jlauth

Established Member
What does everyone expect when unions have crippled the big three?

[youtube_browser]s2CxgJVZYA8[/youtube_browser]

I'm not a union thumper, however after working at a powertrain plant i can see why its needed. Many of these guys would literally get forced overtime that would never end and have to work 80-90hrs/week. Also an operator on many lines cuts a few 100k worth of parts, and should he make a mistake it could mean his job...even if he has worked there for 25 years without making a single bad part.

Its a very different environment though, and yes the union also does at times safeguard the lazy. The union is not really needed anymore in some situations, but only if the big 3 would play nice if they were gone, which i doubt they would be.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
The union is not really needed anymore in some situations, but only if the big 3 would play nice if they were gone, which i doubt they would be.

There is no "nice" in business. They don't put a gun to your head and make you work for them. It's your choice. Go work somewhere else if you're not happy.

The far, far majority of workers do just fine without unions. They no doubt served their purpose once, but have morphed into something much different. We have plenty of labor laws on the books, as well as multiple agencies that protect workers.

They simply protect the weak and punish the strong these days. Businesses need to be able to adjust to the ever changing economic landscape, and unions simply make it much more unnecessarily difficult.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
So GM gets bailed out on the US tax payer's dime and they send their business to foreign countries. Good ole America!!

I'm hoping this thing is going to be cyclical. When our economy is at its worst maybe the big American car manufacturers will finally start bringing back jobs here. I suspect this will only take a 100 years or so. :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread