Chevy Corvette ZR1 Just Smashed the Ford GT's VIR Lap Record

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Pretty much this. One big merge coming up again.
Oh yeah, just links go in road side. Videos go here.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
So Ford sets the record "without trying" and everyone loses their shit. Chevy beats it a week later and they're "meaningless". Got it
Yes a fully prepped zr1 just for vir and who what else, to be strictly used as marketing material. Of course their time will be fast. After all if it’s not they will not publish it. Like the z06 and z28 ring times.

Last edited:

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Dedicated? Jim mero, an engineer, set the time. I wouldn't really call that dedicated. It's not like Oliver Gavin or Jan Magnussen were out there trying to set quick times.
Lol, quite the opposite, Jim is their guy that they use to set the lap times for all corvettes.

None of this really matters, if Ford did return with a factory backed effort (multiple cars, several days, a pit team with engineers), GM will come back with a "Factory Alignment" ZR1 and beat Fords time. LOL
Would love to see the GT in action though with a recorded lap time.

blk02edge

Established Member
I think people are discounting that the ZR1 is simply a bad ass car, just look at the fricken specs, its like the new ACR, NOT a discredit to the ford gt at all imo. People calling that car a dissapointment are broken free of reality

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
BABB933B-8014-49BA-ABE1-2F92BA1F04E7.jpeg

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Okay,....so I'm confused here.
We're talking about the Z06 with the 2:39 time, correct? The video is of a Z06 with the new upgrade for 350 bucks. Not the ZR1.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Pretty much this. One big merge coming up again.
Oh yeah, just links go in road side. Videos go here.
Hey Brad, this is like 2 threads in one.
I think the OP messed up the title of the thread, maybe? The first 12 posts are talking about the Z06. Opening post is about the Z06. Then it all of a sudden goes into the ZR1? lol

Z06

Established Member
Okay,....so I'm confused here.
We're talking about the Z06 with the 2:39 time, correct? The video is of a Z06 with the new upgrade for 350 bucks. Not the ZR1.
It got merged, I started both threads but now I’m confused, seems someone may have also started one before me.

Z06

Established Member
Yesterday I started one with the Z06, which ran 2:39:xx, I started one about an hour or so ago with the ZR1. Now it seems to be merged? Sorry for the confusion fellas.

Z06: 2:39:xx
ZR1: 2:37:25

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
It got merged, I started both threads but now I’m confused, seems someone may have also started one before me.
LOL
You're talking about the Z06 with the magnaride upgrade right? That's what the video is.
The ZR1 beating the FGT time should be another thread, in my opinion. 2 different cars. I wonder why they got merged?

Coiled03

Established Member
Lol, quite the opposite, Jim is their guy that they use to set the lap times for all corvettes.

None of this really matters, if Ford did return with a factory backed effort (multiple cars, several days, a pit team with engineers), GM will come back with a "Factory Alignment" ZR1 and beat Fords time. LOL
Would love to see the GT in action though with a recorded lap time.

Yeah, so at the end of the day, the only fair comparison is when both teams go all out, as hard as they can on the track, a la the Daytona 24 Hours. We all saw how that turned out.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Hey Brad, this is like 2 threads in one.
I think the OP messed up the title of the thread, maybe? The first 12 posts are talking about the Z06. Opening post is about the Z06. Then it all of a sudden goes into the ZR1? lol
I see that. I just saw the Z, and merged them all. Gonna be a bitch to separate them now. Oh well, it’s a...Chevy deal.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't know??? Seems like the ZR1 is faster? (Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to own either car. Both are incredible machines.)
From the article,........................

Chevrolet announced today it was able to lap a 2019 ZR1 equipped with the optional eight-speed auto and ZTK performance package around VIR in 2:37.25. That's 1.37 seconds quicker than the Ford GT's time, making the ZR1 the fastest production vehicle to ever lap the course.
Aside from a harness bar and five-point harnesses, Chevy says the ZR1 used was totally stock, set up with alignment and aero settings specified in the owner's manual. The $2,995 ZTK package gives the car a whole bunch of aggressive features, including an adjustable carbon fiber wing, a front splitter, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires, and track-ready magnetic ride control. The lap was set during validation testing earlier in January leading up to the car's production.
The driver, vehicle dynamics engineer Jim Mero, is known for his mastery of the Nurburgring behind the wheel of Chevy products. If anyone was going to break the record, it would be him. Chevy was keen to note that Mero is an engineer, not a pro-driver, which was definitely a dig at Ford, which set the record using Ford GT race driver Billy Johnson.
Also, like Ford, Chevy claims it wasn't going for a record, rather the time was set during validation testing for the ZR1.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah, so at the end of the day, the only fair comparison is when both teams go all out, as hard as they can on the track, a la the Daytona 24 Hours. We all saw how that turned out.

No, because the Balance of Performance skews things and removes your “all out” assertion. BoP is good in theory but still flawed in execution, we’ve seen it over the past few years and especially favors new cars but it’s there to try and put them all on a level playing field, not duke it out and let the best car win. NASCAR did the same thing with the restrictor plate, car of tomorrow and max cubes among other things.

Coiled03

Established Member
No, because the Balance of Performance skews things and removes your “all out” assertion. BoP is good in theory but still flawed in execution, we’ve seen it over the past few years and especially favors new cars.

Yeah, it was sarcasm, bro. But seriously.....FGT >>>>>>>>>>>>>> ZR1. It's not even debatable.

Users who are viewing this thread