Chevy Corvette ZR1 Just Smashed the Ford GT's VIR Lap Record

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
We've been over this. The FGT guys were just dicking around when they set their lap time.

You can’t be serious, they may not claim to be balls to the wall but to even run a 2:40 in either of those cars is serious concentration and effort, much less either of those times.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
I live near VIR and the rumor around here is that the Ford guys were drunk when they ran the lap and to top it all off they had to stop to let a bunny across the track. If they were serious and didn't care about bunnies that half million dollar Ford GT would have killed the Zr1. :)

Well as long as they had fun and were safe. A bunnie's life is worth the record! =D

Voltwings

Established Member
You can’t be serious, they may not claim to be balls to the wall but to even run a 2:40 in either of those cars is serious concentration and effort, much less either of those times.

He is serious, did you read the article? Ford had a pretty fluffy, civilian speced GT. Not even a "track oriented" GT at that, it had none of the performance options selected. That's what he means by dicking around, they were literally just doing laps. If they were going for a record, it was 100% the wrong car to be doing it in.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Chevy said they weren’t going for a record but had a pit crew, and a 5-point harness?
Just like 13cobra said there is a big difference between testing out some known issues from owner feedback to what GM did. GM also had 2 other cars to test.

3rd party really needs to test these cars. GMs been known to tweak shit going to the track. Remember the track alignment c7z after it was dominated by a GTR?

You aren’t going for a record with only 3 people in the crew, tire conservation for magazine testing, and limited time.

Oh I know the details and trust Ford wasn't going for the record. It doesn't sound like they were going all out for it, especially since the track version of the NFGT wasn't used.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
He is serious, did you read the article? Ford had a pretty fluffy, civilian speced GT. Not even a "track oriented" GT at that, it had none of the performance options selected. That's what he means by dicking around, they were literally just doing laps. If they were going for a record, it was 100% the wrong car to be doing it in.

So what you're saying is a 400k manufacturer contracted specialty car should have been optioned up to save face...got it!

Voltwings

Established Member
What i'm saying is GM does not get to claim they beat a FGT until Ford puts an actual effort into it. If the Zr1 beats it then, then so be it, but that's not something they have earned yet.

Like i said, the fact that they did not bring a specd car proves they were not going for any sort of record attempt. And if they were, then we're just all idiots for liking it i guess.

Last edited:

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Damnnnnnnnnnn,........you mean the C7Z gets even better?!?!?
Sign me up!

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

....lol 2:40?

It would take a good driver to do that. But just think, the Prototypes would run 25-30 seconds faster.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I posted this in the new zo6 vir thread.
From spartan on the FordGTForum,
“Billy is here at Daytona. He showed me a photo of him in a t shirt after he did this. He also said he took a photo of his gauge cluster showing him taking a turn at 158 MPH with one hand on the wheel and a phone on the other. Crazy dude.

Billy said he could go faster!!”

Ford won’t get into the lap time wars as its really pointless. Any manufacturer can go faster, while ignororing the oem specs or even the national regulations. Without pre and post full inspections and computer read outs these times are meaningless.

ryanro24

Established Member
From spartan on the FordGTForum,
“Billy is here at Daytona. He showed me a photo of him in a t shirt after he did this. He also said he took a photo of his gauge cluster showing him taking a turn at 158 MPH with one hand on the wheel and a phone on the other. Crazy dude.

Billy said he could go faster!!”

Ford won’t get into the lap time wars as its really pointless. Any manufacturer can go faster, while ignororing the oem specs or even the national regulations. Without pre and post full inspections and computer read outs these times are meaningless.
So Ford sets the record "without trying" and everyone loses their shit. Chevy beats it a week later and they're "meaningless". Got it

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So Ford sets the record "without trying" and everyone loses their shit. Chevy beats it a week later and they're "meaningless". Got it

Chevy beat it earlier this month I believe and it was just released.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

The driver posted the picture of the lap time, it’s not like ford came out touting it although I’m sure they were happy about it. There’s a big difference between that and making a dedicated effort to turn the fastest lap possible

I don’t think anyone here is going to argue it’s “meaningless” but Ford’s position appears to be that they don’t see a value in making that dedicated effort so people can waive their dicks around on the internet about it

ryanro24

Established Member
Dedicated? Jim mero, an engineer, set the time. I wouldn't really call that dedicated. It's not like Oliver Gavin or Jan Magnussen were out there trying to set quick times.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Dedicated? Jim mero, an engineer, set the time. I wouldn't really call that dedicated. It's not like Oliver Gavin or Jan Magnussen were out there trying to set quick times.

The article said he is basically the foremost expert with the Covette at The Ring and VIR. There's always someone faster but it's not like this guy is no slouch. He knows the car as good as anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread