Chernobyl (2019) | Official Trailer | HBO

Kiohtee

Established Member
Only a portion of the movie will be based on truth, and of that portion only to a degree. I would venture to guess we only know about Chernobyl what they want us to know.

Case in point: Duga rader

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Not sure I can watch this one.

“Every atom of Uranium is a bullet...”

Hollywood hogwash.

When U-235 undergoes fission (by absorbing a low energy thermal neutron), it splits into 2 new atoms (called fission products) and releases large amounts of energy (binding energy) and, on average, 2.08 new thermal or fast neutrons that go on to possibly cause another fission event. (or could be absorbed by a poison or even escape the core and contribute to net loses.)

It’s the the radiation energy such as alphas, betas, gammas and neutrons that act like “bullets” and do damage to organic cells.

So the 92 electrons, 92 protons, and 143 neutrons (atoms) that make up Uranium 235 don’t all act like “bullets”.

I’m willing to bet at some point in the show, someone will yell “The reactor is CRITICAL!!!!” (Critical is not a good or bad thing, it just means that net reactivity addition in the core is 0, as in you are not increasing or decreasing in power level, just stable.

Who am I kidding, I’ll orobably watch it anyway though.

Not watching it. The level of Hollywood- dumb is too strong.

Chernobyl still exists. Wild animals live throughout the area. Some folks never left. It has been a tourist spot for over a decade.

It was bad. But the Soviets dealt with it. Not as well as we would have. And no one should live there. Otherwise, it’s done.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread