Chernobyl (2019) | Official Trailer | HBO

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Was listening to Coast to Coast AM this morning and George and his guest were discussing Chernobyl.

They daid the scientists had many, if not all, of the safety devices disabled and they were running unauthorized tests.

CobraVenom01

Established Member
Premium Member
When I got my hazmat tech license a couple months ago I had to do a full report on this. Was absolutely insane how many mistakes were made, intentionally and also accidental. Looking forward to watching this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRNG ITT

Established Member
Not sure I can watch this one.

“Every atom of Uranium is a bullet...”

Hollywood hogwash.

When U-235 undergoes fission (by absorbing a low energy thermal neutron), it splits into 2 new atoms (called fission products) and releases large amounts of energy (binding energy) and, on average, 2.08 new thermal or fast neutrons that go on to possibly cause another fission event. (or could be absorbed by a poison or even escape the core and contribute to net loses.)

It’s the the radiation energy such as alphas, betas, gammas and neutrons that act like “bullets” and do damage to organic cells.

So the 92 electrons, 92 protons, and 143 neutrons (atoms) that make up Uranium 235 don’t all act like “bullets”.

I’m willing to bet at some point in the show, someone will yell “The reactor is CRITICAL!!!!” (Critical is not a good or bad thing, it just means that net reactivity addition in the core is 0, as in you are not increasing or decreasing in power level, just stable.

Who am I kidding, I’ll orobably watch it anyway though.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
“Every atom of Uranium is a bullet...”

Hollywood hogwash.

When U-235 undergoes fission (by absorbing a low energy thermal neutron), it splits into 2 new atoms (called fission products) and releases large amounts of energy (binding energy) and, on average, 2.08 new thermal or fast neutrons that go on to possibly cause another fission event. (or could be absorbed by a poison or even escape the core and contribute to net loses.)

It’s the the radiation energy such as alphas, betas, gammas and neutrons that act like “bullets” and do damage to organic cells.

So the 92 electrons, 92 protons, and 143 neutrons (atoms) that make up Uranium 235 don’t all act like “bullets”.

To be fair though, if you were attempting to explain the level of danger that an incident (such as this one created) to an oblivious person of authority that’s attempting to downplay it...... which description is going to get your point across better?

Regardless, pretty crazy stuff.

BRNG ITT

Established Member
To be fair though, if you were attempting to explain the level of danger that an incident (such as this one created) to an oblivious person of authority that’s attempting to downplay it...... which description is going to get your point across better?

Regardless, pretty crazy stuff.

You’re absolutely right. And it also makes for great tv. Just have to turn my mind and bias off for this one and try to enjoy it.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Not to sound cold, but Chernobyl has always been my favorite disaster. I'm looking forward to this movie. I think half of my YouTube recommended is at all times something Chernobyl related.

Users who are viewing this thread