check engine light question

Dubbnasty

Carolina Mountain Snake
Established Member
Driving around today and my check engine light came on. It is showing a EVAP code. It's the second mustang I've had that has shown this code. The other I never got rid of, just worked around it. Anyone have the solution to this problem? My car is a 97 cobra. And please don't say its the gas cap. This has been checked & checked & checked on my 96 GT & it didn't help at all.

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
The gas cap fix is a lazy mans diagnosis. When customers come in with CEL I would say 85-90% of those codes throughout all different makes and models is the evaporative emissions code. The evap system is basically allowing the fuel tank to vent so it wont explode with pressure. Due to the tree hugger EPA folks, you cant have all those gas fumes vent into our precious mother earthship air. So, they vent into a carbon canister on most vehicles. That system is designed to throw a check engine light at any loss of pressure through the venting system.

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
As far as a solution, I send my customers to the dealer or a reputable shop to find and fix the leak. I'm sure there is someway to turn the light off in a tune.

Last edited:

Bright Blue Cob

Established Member
I was lucky it was only the vacuum line running to the nipple going into the intake manifold that collapsed from heat and old age.. There are several excellent write ups, if you Google the code, explaining all of the fixes needed IE solenoid, vacuum lines etc.

Dubbnasty

Carolina Mountain Snake
Established Member
Thanks big time. I told my girl the other day it sounded like a vacuum leak coming from the engine. I'm gonna have to try that.

Users who are viewing this thread