Check Engine Light -Please HELP- Code P1233 FPDM

alexgg2

Established Member
Out of nowhere while I was going to work my check engine light turned on. Car seems to be running fine but cant seem to find out why the check engine light is on, though I havent punch it nor want to with check engine light on. I plugged in my diablo predator tuner and checked the code and P1233 popped up which says Fuel Pump Driver Module Disabled or Offline. I checked to see if it was FPDM by using one off my brothers car, I cleared the code on ecu and light still popped up 2-3 seconds after I turned it on. I reinstalled factory ecu settings and engine turns off 2-3 secs after initial start up. If I reinstall predator tuner the engine stays on but the check engine light still pops up. I dont want to drive it around like this since its a fuel problem and dont want my engine to blow. Anyone had this issue before or any ideas of what the cause could be.

These are my mods if any should affect this. Accufab Throttle Body & Plenum, K&N FIPK, Custom Ram Air Induction, 2.76" Billet Flow Pulley, Diablo Sport Predator Tune, O/R X-pipe, Flow Master Catback Exhaust,

Last edited:

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
I had this same code plus my car would not start. :cuss:

I have a modified fuel system (Fore fuel hat, dual GT pumps, and dual FPDM setup) and the problem turned out to be the relay in the dual FPDM setup. Once I replaced it, the car started right up and stopped throwing codes...:beer:

drptitan

Established Member
I had this same code come up one night and it was because my boost a pump went out and my car wouldnt start

alexgg2

Established Member

I have a modified fuel system (Fore fuel hat, dual GT pumps, and dual FPDM setup) and the problem turned out to be the relay in the dual FPDM setup. Once I replaced it, the car started right up and stopped throwing codes...:beer:

...does the factory setup have a relay somewhere for FPDM, I still cant seem to figure it out. Car is just sitting now until I correct the problem. I dont want to take it to dealership because they are going to charge me an arm and a leg. lol But if I cant figure it out I guess I am gona have to take it to dealership but thats the last resort. Does anyone have any other ideas why it might through this code(1233 FPDM Fuel Driver Module Offline or Disabled).

Fastlane Cobra

Established Member
This reminds me that I need to get that relay (as a spare to have on-hand). Thanks for offering that valuable info as always.

I still find it amazing that we have different superchargers, same fuel system, different dyno - located in different countries, same tuner, and same rear wheel horsepower, and by chance our cars were dynoed the same week if I recall correctly (early May 2009).

Ray

Last edited:

alexgg2

Established Member
I have replaced fuel rail pressure sensor(FRPS), Fuel Pump Driver Module(FPDM) and still the check engine turns on after I have cleared the code. I dont know what else it could be. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be, any help would be greatly appreciated.

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
I don't know if there is a relay for the stock fuel system. I checked on my Ford Service Information CD and and found the following information:

Code: P1233 - Fuel System Disabled or Offline

Description: The PCM monitors the fuel pump monitor (FPM) circuit from the fuel pump driver module (FPDM). With the key on, the FPDM continuously sends a duty cycle signal to the PCM through the FPM circuit. The test fails if the PCM stops receiving the duty cycle signal.

Possible Causes:
Inertia fuel shutoff (IFS) switch needs to be reset
Open FPDM ground circuit
Open circuit to FPDM PWR RLY
Open FPDM PWR circuit
Open or shorted FPM circuit (engine should start)
Damaged IFS switch
Damaged FPDM PWR RLY
Damaged FPDM
Damaged PCM
Also for Mustang:
Open B+ circuit to the constant control relay module (CCRM) pin 11
Open ground to CCRM pin 18
Damaged CCRM

Diagnostic Aids: The PCM expects to see one of the following duty cycle signals from the FPDM on the FPM circuit: 1) 50% (500 ms on, 500 ms off), all OK. 2) 25% (250 ms on, 750 ms off), FPDM did not receive a fuel pump (FP) duty cycle command from the PCM, or the duty cycle that was received was invalid. 3) 75% (750 ms ON, 250 OFF), the FPDM has detected a fault in the circuits between the FPDM and the fuel pump.

I hope this info is helpful...

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
It's inside the passenger fender.

You need to remove wheelwell liner to get access

alexgg2

Established Member
Its been over a year now and I still havent been able to find out whats making it pop out this code P1233 FPDM. Anyone else have this problem and know how to fix it. My car still runs but I need to fix it. :shrug:

Black306

Established Member
Sounds to me that you either have a continuity issue with the return signal connection from the FPDM to the ECU, or the ECU is bad. Are you running a modified FPDM, dual FPDM, wire upgrade from the battery, or any other change from the factory? It would be a good idea to check the pin inside the FPDM plug,check continuity of the wire from the FPDM plug to the ecu plug, make sure the wire isn't shorting to ground, and check the pin in the ecu plug.

alexgg2

Established Member
Final found issue to code, apparently when Steeda IRS Subframe Brackets part#555-5405 required holes to be drilled through trunk for the bolts. Well when the holes were drilled the harness was drilled through causing a short. The wires were taped up and the check engine light and code were gone. Luckily no electronic components were damaged with the short. I highly recommend the Steeda brackets for anyone trying to eliminate wheel hop and really tightens up the rear for better handling on corners. Anyone planning to install Steeda IRS Subframe Brackets just be careful not to drill through harness.

Users who are viewing this thread