Check engine light P1516 ?

95FSTCOBRA

Established Member
Check engine light came on today, Code P1516. (Intake manifold runner control input error) Sometimes the idle get stuck at 1500rpm.

Anyone had this code come up? I was told it could be imrc control or just clean the runners .So I guess my work for this weekend is to clean the imrc's. any suggestions? Thanks

Last edited:

9svt8

Bleeds Ford Blue
Established Member
I had that issue before. If you want to postpone the inevitable of tearing it apart and cleaning them...try what I did. Kinda hard to see, but with a flashlight look back and you can see the springs that provide tension on those cables. Mine were crudded up with light rust, and dirt from over the years. I used PB blast and coated them down. (both sides driver and passenger) Then I reached back and pulled on the cables several times to work that stuff in (stuff works amazing) then I took it out and ran it for a while. That was a year ago, haven't had an issue since. Every once in a while I will do the same thing just to make sure they stay lubed. It'sa quick and easy fix for now. If you get them moving freely with ease by pulling on the cables, and have those springs well lubed and still get the code, then your controller has gone south. Let me know how ya make out bro

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Mine was caused by a fraying cable. You can check for that issue too just by feeling the cables back there.

95FSTCOBRA

Established Member
I had that issue before. If you want to postpone the inevitable of tearing it apart and cleaning them...try what I did. Kinda hard to see, but with a flashlight look back and you can see the springs that provide tension on those cables. Mine were crudded up with light rust, and dirt from over the years. I used PB blast and coated them down. (both sides driver and passenger) Then I reached back and pulled on the cables several times to work that stuff in (stuff works amazing) then I took it out and ran it for a while. That was a year ago, haven't had an issue since. Every once in a while I will do the same thing just to make sure they stay lubed. It'sa quick and easy fix for now. If you get them moving freely with ease by pulling on the cables, and have those springs well lubed and still get the code, then your controller has gone south. Let me know how ya make out bro

Cool man, thanks alot, ill let u know. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread