Check engine light on after oil change

fotontom

Established Member
Oil separator

This happened to me on my first oil change. It seemed to be the oil separator. I unplugged it again, and then re-installed it. It was fine, then. The CEL never re-appeared.

Snoopy49

Established Member
I didn't actually remove the lines, I simply just unscrewed the filter and drained it. I will double check it though.
Thank you

What oil separator do you have? Is it possible that the o-ring fell out when you removed the cup or could it have been damaged when you screwed the cup on? Normally these cars don't tolerate much of a vacuum leak and will not idle smoothly if one exists. You didn't mention if it affected the running of the car, so I assumed that the only indication of a problem was the CEL. It would be interesting to know just how sensitive the system is a vacuum leak.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Another place to look for a vacuum leak is the dipstick. If you fired up the car with the dipstick out or not seated, it may have caused the setting of a code. Check and see that the dipsticks o-ring is not damaged and that the dipstick is fully seated in its tube. You will need to find out which codes are involved. You can borrow a code reader from most auto parts stores and read the codes and you can also clear the codes with most readers.

carguy19

Established Member
Make sure the dipstick is fully seated and make sure the oil cap isnt loose. Anything getting into the PCV system can trip the light.

Check your connections on the oil seperator. I ended up teflon taping mine just to be 1000% sure it wasnt leaking when I emptied it last time.

jasong712

Established Member
What oil separator do you have? Is it possible that the o-ring fell out when you removed the cup or could it have been damaged when you screwed the cup on? Normally these cars don't tolerate much of a vacuum leak and will not idle smoothly if one exists. You didn't mention if it affected the running of the car, so I assumed that the only indication of a problem was the CEL. It would be interesting to know just how sensitive the system is a vacuum leak.

I have a JLT seaprator.

I think I have a resolution to this deal.

I installed another quart of oil making the total installed being 8.5 quarts. I didn't even check the dipstick as this would only short circuit my brain even further. I also unclipped the entire oil separator..made sure the oring was good...and I made sure I had the filter completely tight.

I unhooked the battery for 20 minutes or so and started the car....no light. I drove the car a little over 100 miles today and the light didn't come on. It looks as though it was a slight vacuum leak from the JLT. I will just remove the entire separator assembly going forward. I emptied the separator on my raptor the other day by removing the entire assembly and I had no issues either. This seems to be the way to do it.

In answer to the other questions about how the car ran....initially, the car went into limp mode and the check engine light was flashing, I pulled over and let the car idle and the light went off. The light didn't come back on until 20 miles later or so. Even then, the car didn't idle rough or anything like that. As a matter of fact, it ran great.....so great...that I outran a Hennessey Camaro later that night . LOL

Thanks for all the help guys.

Snoopy...your car is my twin, so it seems fitting that you helped so much. ;)

Last edited:

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
I have a JLT seaprator.

I think I have a resolution to this deal.

I installed another quart of oil making the total installed being 8.5 quarts. I didn't even check the dipstick as this would only short circuit my brain even further. I also unclipped the entire oil separator..made sure the oring was good...and I made sure I had the filter completely tight.

I unhooked the battery for 20 minutes or so and started the car....no light. I drove the car a little over 100 miles today and the light didn't come on. It looks as though it was a slight vacuum leak from the JLT. I will just remove the entire separator assembly going forward. I emptied the separator on my raptor the other day by removing the entire assembly and I had no issues either. This seems to be the way to do it.

In answer to the other questions about how the car ran....initially, the car went into limp mode and the check engine light was flashing, I pulled over and let the car idle and the light went off. The light didn't come back on until 20 miles later or so. Even then, the car didn't idle rough or anything like that. As a matter of fact, it ran great.....so great...that I outran a Hennessey Camaro later that night . LOL

Thanks for all the help guys.

Snoopy...your car is my twin, so it seems fitting that you helped so much. ;)
Glad you were able to figure this out, jasong712. Thanks for the update!

Deysha

Users who are viewing this thread