Check engine light on after oil change

jasong712

Established Member
So, I did an oil change on the '14 GT500 for the first time. This is a track pack car with the oil cooler.

I drained the oil and put 7.5 quarts in. I drove it for about 50 miles and the check engine light came on. I pulled the dipstick and it's hard to tell if it's over filled or not. It might be a little over filled though..... Will the light come on if the car is overfilled?

I used Motorcraft 5w50 and an 820 S oil filter.

Kapy

Established Member
These cars have the most inaccurate oil dipstick I have ever seen on a car. One pull you are all good. Dip again and pull you are not.

I have resulted to just be happy to be in between on the marks. You try to fill to the top you will overfill. Then you will spend endless attempst of loosening drain plug just enough to drip out enough oil to re-measure.

Easiest thing to just do is realize the car is 8.5qt car. Drain the oil put 7.5 in it because a quart is in the lines and just be good with it.

Going from the stick on this car will drive you nuts. I don't understand it. I hope if somebody on here with some engineering background with this car could explain why this dipstick is so all over the place.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Add a quart. You are a quart short of what you need. 7.5 is for non track pack.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Whether you have the SVTTP or not, 2013/2014 GT500s take 8.5qts of oil when CHANGED. (SVTTP cars take 9.5 on INITIAL fill.)

Attachments

• GT500 Capacities and Specifications.pdf
    24.7 KB · Views: 229

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Did you happen to check the code yet, it might be completely unrelated to your oil change.

jasong712

Established Member
I haven't checked the code. I thought it might just be a coincidence after the oil change, but I thought I would throw it out there. I can easily put another quart of oil in the car, if that's what indeed I need to do.

I will take it to the dealer Monday and see what they say.

One last question, there is only one drain plug for the oil pan right???

paluka21

Established Member
Whether you have the SVTTP or not, 2013/2014 GT500s take 8.5qts of oil when CHANGED. (SVTTP cars take 9.5 on INITIAL fill.)

This is true. My non-TP was 8.5 quarts on it's oil change. OP you're probably a quart too low.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Down one quart of oil is not going to trip a check engine light. It is just a coincidence that the light came on right after you did an oil change so something else is awry.

You have a separator, if you removed it to drain out the collected oil double check that you reinstalled the locking tabs properly as that could trip the light if you drive the car a bit after doing the oil change without the separator being reinstalled properly.

Tony

NELCO

Established Member
I agree being a quart down will not make the check engine light come on, The reason I asked if you have an oil separator was I got the check engine light after changing my oil and draining the separator. I had loosen one of the fittings and did not tighten it down enough causing a slight vacuum leak.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator

Right guy. Don't know what I was thinking . :beer:

jasong712

Established Member
Down one quart of oil is not going to trip a check engine light. It is just a coincidence that the light came on right after you did an oil change so something else is awry.

You have a separator, if you removed it to drain out the collected oil double check that you reinstalled the locking tabs properly as that could trip the light if you drive the car a bit after doing the oil change without the separator being reinstalled properly.

Tony

I didn't actually remove the lines, I simply just unscrewed the filter and drained it. I will double check it though.

Thank you

Cman01

hello
Established Member
I didn't actually remove the lines, I simply just unscrewed the filter and drained it. I will double check it though.

Thank you

I don't know which separator you have (I had a Bob's and currently use the JLT one) but I would check the screw in fittings that the hoses are attached to and make sure they are tightened down.

On both separators the barb fittings were slightly loose, I removed them wrapped Teflon tape on the threads and screwed them back in tightly. You want to eliminate all possible areas of vacuum leaks.

Users who are viewing this thread