Cheapest Way to fix Cylinder 8 Failure--another one--Cheapest rebuild/fix -HELP

by9468840

Established Member
It is almost impossible not to ask. Was your car tuned? As far as I know leading tuners supporting this forum figured that the reason to #8 issue was the factory tune. Wondering if your car is stock?

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
Yep we sell all the gaskets and bolts you'll need.

As far as reliability goes I mean it should be just as reliable as any other stock engine as long as the cylinder walls are in good shape and it's re assembled correctly.

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
sorry to hear i was wrong. i was pulling for you and your engine. i would still consider dumping the pcv system for a breather setup once you have it back together.

its about cost neutral to buy the new boss crank vs having the gt crank rebalanced. on the plus side of rebalancing, you don't need to worry about getting new main bearings (they are individually sized to each journal). but, i would take the jpc deal and call it a day. having boss internals doesn't add resale value and only mildly better than gt internals. if you really want the strength, get a full forged aftermarket piston and rod setup, balance the crank to those and get arp head studs to button her up with.

I wished you were right. I seen forged rods and pistons for around 1000 bucks, how much should I pay for balancing? Will I need special rod bolts or bearing etc to hang with the forged pistons and rods? Just trying to see how much I would be going in versus just fixing it, taking that money to get myself so I'm not upside down in the financing and sell it to buy another one. I've just already got so much money in this car, I just spent over 2 grand getting the rear end fixed a month ago.
Yep we sell all the gaskets and bolts you'll need.

As far as reliability goes I mean it should be just as reliable as any other stock engine as long as the cylinder walls are in good shape and it's re assembled correctly.

If you read the above, this is more than likely going to be my route so I can just get it together and sell it. May get a 13-14 model and be done with it.

Judging by his latest posts, it's a bolt on car tuned by Tuners INC....

Nail on the head. So far 4.10 gears, cai, o/r x pipe, and yes, tuner inc tune out of orange park.

However, I don't blame tuners inc, that tune was strong as hell, I believe it was damage done using the bama tune. Bama sent me a tune several different times and couldn't get it right, running rich, bouncing off rev limiter between shifts etc, I think the tune from tuners inc is the best the car ever ran.

Last edited:

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
Few questions

After looking at pricing to get the forged internals/boss rotating assembly/shortblock rebuild , and considering my current position I'm in financially, I've decided to cheap out and just try to get this car back on the road asap.

Can I re-use my head studs and nuts?
What would be the disadvantage of re-using them if so?
Can I pull just the drivers head, drop the oil pan, and change the piston and rod?
Can I re use anything? (rod bearings, main bearing, etc)I think I read somewhere they were specific for each rod?
Even if the block is scorned up, can I just bore .005 over and get oversized rings? If so, does this make a weak link?
If I get lucky and cheap out, how reliable is just replacing the ring and piston?

In the worst case scenario, and the cylinder wall is scorned, can I just get it re sleeved and replace the rod, piston, and ring? How much should I pay for something like a re sleeve job at a maching shop, and where do I buy the sleeve?

I obviously want the car to be reliable after its all back together, but I'm really tight right now money wise, and need the cheapest alternative.

Does anyone know of any step by step guides on someone removing the 5.0 from a 2011 mustang? I've googled and had no luck at all. I've pulled several engines before, but would like a guid to make sure this job is done right

Also, where are the parts? I looked on oreillys and didn't see a complete engine gasket set? I imagine it would be cheaper, because pulling the engine I'll need them exhaust collector gaskets, intake manifold gasket, oil pan gasket etc

So far I'm thinking for the parts list

Rod
Piston
Bearing
Engine gasket set
8 quarts oil
coolant

So again, do I need to buy new head studs? Rod bearings? What am I missing...

usnfenix

GM recall advisor
Established Member

Nail on the head. So far 4.10 gears, cai, o/r x pipe, and yes, tuner inc tune out of orange park.

However, I don't blame tuners inc, that tune was strong as hell, I believe it was damage done using the bama tune. Bama sent me a tune several different times and couldn't get it right, running rich, bouncing off rev limiter between shifts etc, I think the tune from tuners inc is the best the car ever ran.

i live in orange park. and no offense to tuners INC but i think thats your problem. ive heard of them damaging two other mustangs that i know locally. and i brought them a GM car and it never ran right and this was supposed to be their specialty. talk to them about what happened. and if its the bama tune well they offer their #8 warranty but not sure if you can go that route. worth looking into. all this #8 crap is why my 14 GT is staying un-tuned for now. when my warranty goes then ill pull the trigger.

pufferfish

Established Member
Few questions

After looking at pricing to get the forged internals/boss rotating assembly/shortblock rebuild , and considering my current position I'm in financially, I've decided to cheap out and just try to get this car back on the road asap.

Can I re-use my head studs and nuts?
What would be the disadvantage of re-using them if so?
Can I pull just the drivers head, drop the oil pan, and change the piston and rod?
Can I re use anything? (rod bearings, main bearing, etc)I think I read somewhere they were specific for each rod?
Even if the block is scorned up, can I just bore .005 over and get oversized rings? If so, does this make a weak link?
If I get lucky and cheap out, how reliable is just replacing the ring and piston?

In the worst case scenario, and the cylinder wall is scorned, can I just get it re sleeved and replace the rod, piston, and ring? How much should I pay for something like a re sleeve job at a maching shop, and where do I buy the sleeve?

I obviously want the car to be reliable after its all back together, but I'm really tight right now money wise, and need the cheapest alternative.

Does anyone know of any step by step guides on someone removing the 5.0 from a 2011 mustang? I've googled and had no luck at all. I've pulled several engines before, but would like a guid to make sure this job is done right

Also, where are the parts? I looked on oreillys and didn't see a complete engine gasket set? I imagine it would be cheaper, because pulling the engine I'll need them exhaust collector gaskets, intake manifold gasket, oil pan gasket etc

So far I'm thinking for the parts list

Rod
Piston
Bearing
Engine gasket set
8 quarts oil
coolant

So again, do I need to buy new head studs? Rod bearings? What am I missing...

just put the head change kit on the list. it gives you a set of head gaskets and head bolts and is about $100. part number is m6067m50br (for 12mm bolts) or m6067m50br11 (for 11mm bolts). make sure which bolts you have.

you should be able to reuse the rod bearing. they are not custom sized like the main bearings.

Users who are viewing this thread