Charging System

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
I have a bad feeling my alternator is tapping out. So, I get the car out of storage and go to start it. RRR RRR click click click. :dw: I hook up a spare battery from my boat with some jumper cables. Start the car and leave the battery hooked up for a few to let the battery charge a bit before I disconnect the jump. Take it off, all is good. :rolling: Go for a spin, everything normal. I do a little suspension work so the car sits for about two weeks. Go to start it, RRR RRR click click click. I decide my stock battery is due for replacing anyway so I drop in an optima red top. Go for a ride today and the batt light starts flickering at a red light. I hang a u turn and make my way back home. When I slowed to a stop from the highway the light came on for about 2 seconds and that was it. When I got home the voltage with the car running was 13.8 off was 13.2. I pull the car back into the garage, and when I started to drop the clutch, the light pops on again for about 2 seconds. Check voltage again 13.2. :??: What do you think?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
How many miles on your car? Is it the original alternator? Alternators going bad are unfortunately very common with this car. If you end up having to replace the alternator, I highly recommend the Start 'n Charge performance alternators. Jim is an alternator pro and has a great product. Best alternator on the market IMO. Go to my website and browse down to the bottom of the main/home page for contact info. He doesn't have a website. Stang Shifter Gaskets

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
31,000 on the car. It's the stock alt. It's just a weekend car now. The first year I put about 17k on it. After that just a couple thousand per year.

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
Took the alternator to a local shop. Dead. I had it rebuilt same say for $150. Two year warranty. I would have bought a start n charge, but I'm impatient. I'll go that route when I cook this one.

Users who are viewing this thread