Changing the oil in my eaton... HELP!!

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
Thanks for the help guys! I know i can be frustrating! lol Im just anal about my car so i hunt and hunt until i satisfy myself with the answer...

Thanks again! GM SC oil it is then...

RussZTT

Established Member
Bob uses it in all his blowers when he sends them back. Brian (posi) does the same thing. I have the same oil in mine with no problems. This is Mobil 1.

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
Bob uses it in all his blowers when he sends them back. Brian (posi) does the same thing. I have the same oil in mine with no problems. This is Mobil 1.

Hmmm.... Guess the pressure stuff doesnt really matter too much if noone has blown anything running mobil...

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
The Mobil One synthetic has been working great with literally thousands of Eatons for the past 6 years. VERY few reports of Eatons failing and when they do, it's not because fo the blower oil.

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
So either way... GM SC oil or Mobil 10w30.... cant go wrong it seems...

Considering im anal and ill be changing the blower oil every 6 or 9k miles, neither will have time to shear before being changed again...

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Didn't try and prove the thinner oil but the car ran a 11.28 @ 124 in the 1/4. Same blower is getting ready to go back on again.

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
Nice! Ill prob just run mobil1. I already have some at the house. Ill prob just be sure to change it every 6k or 9k miles. Cheap insurance IMO...

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
^Just so you know there's a bearing in the front of the snout right behind the pulley that needs oil bad. Thicker oil is going to take longer to get to it from the resevoir and get it lubed at start up. Plus it's the one that will usually fail. Might want to switch to something thinner.

RussZTT

Established Member
^^ True, and with the force of gravity going away from the front during acceleration, you need all you can get.

cobracide

Established Member
I use either Mobil1 15w-50 or Castrol TWS 10w-60 in the Eaton.

That's getting a little thick as POSI mentioned. It needs to be a thin oil. The target spec is the Nye 605's 8.7/54

Nye 605 spec -
Kinematic Viscosity 100°C 8.7 cSt ASTM D-445
Kinematic Viscosity 40°C 54 cSt ASTM D-445

Amsoil 0w-30 is closest to the Nye 605 spec for weight.
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, 10.3 cSt (ASTM D445)
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, 56.6 cSt (ASTM D445)

Amsoil 10w-40
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, 14.6 cSt (ASTM D-445)
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, 90.5 cSt (ASTM D-445)

Amsoil 20w-50
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, 18.9 cSt (ASTM D-445)
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, 123.8 cSt (ASTM D-445)

---

65mph_Roll

Established Member
I thought the engine oil circulated through it. Is that true for the rear of the blower but not the front?

RussZTT

Established Member
I thought the engine oil circulated through it. Is that true for the rear of the blower but not the front?
No, the Eaton is self containing. If you look on the front under where it has the Ford logo, that hex screw is the fill and drain. Oil only sits in the snout.

65mph_Roll

Established Member
No, the Eaton is self containing. If you look on the front under where it has the Ford logo, that hex screw is the fill and drain. Oil only sits in the snout.

So what about the back berings? does the oil circulate to the back, or sealed bearings back there?

Users who are viewing this thread