Changing plugs in new 5.0

viperakron

Established Member
New to Fords so excuse this simple question. I've heard horror stories on broken plugs in Ford Mod motors, so want to get it right the first time. I've got a 12 GT with 7000 miles. Want to see how the plugs are burning with my tune after a run at the track.

I need to know the procedure for removing the wire to the stock coils? I released the red clip but the connector doesn't want to release. Is there something else to release? Or just pull harder?
I see from an accel video on line that the coils unbolt and pull out. Now are these motors prone to breaking plugs like the old ones? Is there a special plug socket? With so few miles I would hope there is no carbon and the plug release easily.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
the plugs wont break unless go ape shit on them and torque the hell out of them. as for the coil just pull the red clip and pull the connector and it should come right off.

scott_0

Established Member
the plugs are super easy to access, just dont side load the socket/extension/ratchet and youll be fine. I believe you have to squeeze the underside of the coil plug to release it, I had a tough time getting mine off on the #8 (for a piece of mind peek)

JerryC

Established Member
Start by unplugging the battery terminal.

Do not skip this step! The chances of you blowing the fuse on the battery if you do not disconnect the battery are better than 80%. The extension you use to get the plug out goes right by the fuse terminal and if you touch it it blows and you wont know it.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Do not skip this step! The chances of you blowing the fuse on the battery if you do not disconnect the battery are better than 80%. The extension you use to get the plug out goes right by the fuse terminal and if you touch it it blows and you wont know it.

To make things easy and error free I would recommend just removeing the battery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

mtrsprt

Established Member
Having a good array of tools, will allow you to leave the battery in place with no issues. Different length extensions, universals etc, always come in handy.

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
As many of the others said, disconnecting the battery ground lead (not the positive terminal) is really important. When you change the #4 cylinder plug, it's easy for the socket wrench to touch the positive battery terminal. At best, it'll blow the fuse; at worst, it will burn a hole in the aluminum sleeve around the sparkplug down inside the head, and that's a piece that's not in the parts book - it's a part of the head itself. So, disconnect the ground terminal and all will be well.

As for the plugs, they're pretty stout. No problems changing them.

Last edited:

Tispho

Established Member
I released the red clip but the connector doesn't want to release. Is there something else to release?

You have to press down on the black part after releasing the red clip. Then the connector should come right off.

Users who are viewing this thread