Changing front control arm bushings

03kevo

Established Member
Any special way of removing the old bushing and installing the new ones, and what tools are needed for that. Do i need to remove the bushing shell/replace them?

Car has 167000miles

TRBO VNM

You are better off buying new a-arms from steve at tousley. They come with new ball joints as well and at that mileage, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have the new ball joints. Last I checked the price of the new arms outweighed the time to deal with bushing replacement.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Maximum motorsports sells oem style control arms with a newer style bushing that is supposed to be better. I believe there around 400ish.

hotcobra03

Established Member
what makes you think about changing them ,i got twice the mileage all that ive done was rear inner tie rods and front sway bar frame mounts..

ive had play on steering rack inners since new ..

we have a very bumpy dirt road leading to our sub division..i drive on it every day..bad enough to keep braking the front brake pads loose from caliper

full tilt boogie has irs parts,,might want to check his site and see if he is doing front arms...

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
Squeezing out the old bushings is a nightmare :cuss:

A drill, a hammer, an arbor press, a couple of hacksaw blades and some BAND-AID's comes in handy :nonono:

Figure about 2-3 hours to get them out.

Maximum motorsports sells oem style control arms with a newer style bushing that is supposed to be better. I believe there around 400ish.

Ford Mustang OEM Front Control Arms, 1994-2004 [M-3075-D] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

If you're referring to these, they appear to be the OEM for 03-04s. Bushing appears to be the same one our cars came with.

EDIT: Tousley's price is even better. According to their diagram on the website, the control arms they offer also come with a ball joint. Price is: $187.10 for each arm, not including shipping of course.

Last edited:

Termilvr

Established Member
I just installed global west bushings upfront. Removing the stock bushings is a pain, use a drill to drill out the rubber and then a hacksawed/sawzall to split the shells. Had the new sleeves pressed in along with x2 ball joints at a machine shop.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread