Changed to AMSOIL 5w-50, felt the engine was a little quieter and smoother

arsenalrocks

Established Member
so I did an oil change at 1000miles (as all of you should do), and I noticed the engine was a little bit quieter and smoother, which is a good thing. so I think I am going to stick with the AMSOIL brand for now.

Also did a tranny fluid change, on a tech car it was pretty easy, drain bolt at the center bottom, fill hole is right on top of it on the driver side. used about 2.4qt. I didn't go with Ford's OEM tranny fluid as I was not convince it is full sync, I used PENNZOIL PLATINUM LV MULTI-VEHICLE ATF which is full sync and meets the Ford's specs to a T. it has the same color and texture as the OEM fluid and it was not expensive at all.

also, i noticed, if you hold the clutch for 5s before you start the car, you can hear the fuel pump being primed, and it in turns caused a less violent and loud cold start, may consider doing that if you start the car early in the morning so you don't wake up the neighbors.

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
The placebo effect, you got to love it. My vehicles always seemed to run better after a wash and wax.

Last edited:

liter of cola

Established Member
is changing the tranny fluid along with the first oil change something you guys would recommend with a new car?

Voltwings

Established Member
Well if its anything like the 11-14 MT-82 the factory fill is crap, and pretty much any quality aftermarket fluid is better. I'm partial to redline myself, i just got tired of the ridiculous Amsoil prices. My fiance and i both road race, and to change the oil (just engine oil) in both our cars was $200... pass.

arsenalrocks

Established Member
yes my M3 calls for full tranny fluid flush(6mt only)and diff fluid change at 1200miles. and of course the engine oil

based on what I am seeing, changing the engine oil at 1000miles or so is a must.

will change my diff fluid after my first track day, should be simple drain and fill since I have tech pack.

is changing the tranny fluid along with the first oil change something you guys would recommend with a new car?

arsenalrocks

Established Member
I did a lot of research on the motorcraft mercon LV fluild, not once it says it is full sync.
so i picked up the PENNZOIL PLATINUM LV ATF for about 7/qt which is designed for mercon LV and it is full sync.

i have to say my tranny fluid at 1000mile is very clear. i only changed it cause i want full sync fluid for track days.

Well if its anything like the 11-14 MT-82 the factory fill is crap, and pretty much any quality aftermarket fluid is better. I'm partial to redline myself, i just got tired of the ridiculous Amsoil prices. My fiance and i both road race, and to change the oil (just engine oil) in both our cars was $200... pass.

Rainier42

Established Member
I did a lot of research on the motorcraft mercon LV fluild, not once it says it is full sync.
so i picked up the PENNZOIL PLATINUM LV ATF for about 7/qt which is designed for mercon LV and it is full sync.

i have to say my tranny fluid at 1000mile is very clear. i only changed it cause i want full sync fluid for track days.

The tranny only took 2.4 qts? Would have thought it was more with the Track Pack oil cooler.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member

Never pay retail, only buy Amsoil at wholesale cost signing up as a preferred customer.

Preferred Customer

Also, you can run a top tier lubricant like this longer than your standard off the shelf lubricants. Example, circle track racers were changing their oil every weekend with cheaper lubricants. With Amsoil RD50, they were good every 3-4 weekend changes. (UOA proven results)

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Never pay retail, only buy Amsoil at wholesale cost signing up as a preferred customer.

Preferred Customer

Also, you can run a top tier lubricant like this longer than your standard off the shelf lubricants. Example, circle track racers were changing their oil every weekend with cheaper lubricants. With Amsoil RD50, they were good every 3-4 weekend changes. (UOA proven results)

I'm running redline in my vehicle, I've heard different reports. Is it good for 10-15k miles or should I change it sooner?

Voltwings

Established Member

Preferred Customer

I did, but 8 quarts in my 5.0 + 6 in her v6 + filters for both... aint cheap.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I'm running redline in my vehicle, I've heard different reports. Is it good for 10-15k miles or should I change it sooner?

You'd be surprised how far 8 quarts of oil in the sump can take you, even on cheap lubricants. I need to brush up on my GT350 knowledge, as in......

What is Ford's recommended oil change interval?
What is Ford's recommended oil viscosity?

I did, but 8 quarts in my 5.0 + 6 in her v6 + filters for both... aint cheap.

I understand, but the trick with Amsoil Signature Series is to run the lubricant longer than you would cheaper off the shelf blends.

Rainier42

Established Member
You'd be surprised how far 8 quarts of oil in the sump can take you, even on cheap lubricants. I need to brush up on my GT350 knowledge, as in......

I understand, but the trick with Amsoil Signature Series is to run the lubricant longer than you would cheaper off the shelf blends.

The new GT350 takes 10 quarts, I believe the 2012-13 Boss was 8/8.5 quarts.
Recommend change interval varies ... 7-10K miles under normal use and 3-5K miles if tracked.
Recommended oil viscosity is that same as the GT500 and Boss 302s ... 5w50 meeting the Ford Spec. Amsoil 5w50 Signature oil meets this spec.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
As you can see, I have been absent here for a while and now playing catch up on the new 2016 GT350. Seems to be one hell of a car. Thank you for the 10 quart update, that wasn't expected from Ford at all.

Same oil filter as the Coyote? Motorcraft FL500 type filter, or the FL820?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member

This is for a Fiesta ST. 5/20 is what Ford recommends. I'm not sure about their oil intervals. I would guess 4/5k miles.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The placebo effect, you got to love it. My vehicles always seemed to run better after a wash and wax.

This. I swear my trucks engine is quieter with Amsoil than Royal Purple and 2-stroke oil in the fuel tank. I also know I'm lying to myself.

That truck takes 15 quarts.

Rainier42

Established Member
As you can see, I have been absent here for a while and now playing catch up on the new 2016 GT350. Seems to be one hell of a car. Thank you for the 10 quart update, that wasn't expected from Ford at all.

Same oil filter as the Coyote? Motorcraft FL500 type filter, or the FL820?

No, a new and specific filter for the GT350: Motorcraft FL-2069
And it needs to be torqued down to 18 ft/lbs or it might come lose due to engine vibration.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
This. I swear my trucks engine is quieter with Amsoil than Royal Purple and 2-stroke oil in the fuel tank.

Ah I remember the old days of watching my father pour some Marvel mystery oil in the gas tanks of his work trucks. Said it made them run better.

Users who are viewing this thread