changed alternator now problem

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
over the weekend i changed out my alternator and once it was all put back together and i fired it up there was belt chirp or a pulley noise cant quite tell yet. almost sounds like its coming from the #4 lower but yet i never ever had problems before:shrug: also im lost now im hitting #15 in boost instead of #18:??: if anyone has anysuggestions on where to start with troubleshooting id appreciate it

thanks
anthony

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
That is odd.
Did you put your old alt pulley on the new alt?
I assume you have a larger alt pulley since you run a 4lb lower.
Check you pointer on the tensioner make sure the belt is properly tensioned and not loose.

Last edited:

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
That is odd.
Did you put your old alt pulley on the new alt?
I assume you have a larger alt pulley since you run a 4lb lower.
Check you pointer on the tensioner make sure the belt is properly tensioned and not loose.

yeah i put the aftermarket pulley on the new altternator and can you explain to me(rookie) about the pointer on the tensioner thank you

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
ya my tensioner is like the one showed in the picture thats located in post #7.....i just dont get how it was running perfect then i change the alternator and have problems

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
ya my tensioner is like the one showed in the picture thats located in post #7.....i just dont get how it was running perfect then i change the alternator and have problems

Double check to make sure that the belt is run properly and seated in the grooves.
Other wise I'm at a bit of a loss.

Black306

Established Member
Check to see if the alternator is working. Just cause it came off of a shelf at a parts store, doesn't mean it's working properly.

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
Your welcome!
I'm glad to help my west coast connection.
Did you find the problem?
not yet
Does the belt appear to be running true when you watch it?

well i looked at it a little before it got dark lastnight after work and im noticing that the lower has wobble to it....more than id like to see:shrug: i dont think i did anything wrong while changing out the alt and the belt is on correctly so i dont see whats going on and why im loosing boost

Last edited:

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
Yeah, that's what I was wondering about.......Are you sure you got the lower bracket/spacers all back together properly?

i hope so.....my buddy at his shop did most of the alt work....i was there but more to watch.....so now where do i start? do i unfortuantley take it back off and start over? do i check my lower make sure thats tourqed right? now how would i even know by looking rather or not the spacers got put back together correctly?

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
You might have to take apart and do over to make sure it's correct

I would start by checking that all bolts are tight

Do you have the instructions/partslist for lower install?

Last edited:

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
You might have to take apart and do over to make sure it's correct

Do you have the instructions for lower install?

i just might still have them....damn what a PITA lol thats what i get for letting other work on my ride i guess.....wonder if i can put it on the lift and tell by just looking to see if it is together correctly instead of taking it all apart again....btw thanks for your help:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread