Change global spark (timing) from SCT X4

demas

Established Member
Hi,
I am running a 93 octane tune from Justin@VMP and he told me that in order to use the tune with 91 octane
I can decrease the timing (Global Spark parameter) from the SCT X4 by 1.

Can anyone explain to me please how to do that?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
I have an Xcal 3, I would assume it's simular... Just reload the tune and click options, then scroll thru till you find what your looking for.
I would data log before and after to check that it actually changes your timing. My X3 doesn't seem to change anything.

demas

Established Member
Ok thanks man, will do :)
If anyone knows different about X4 please let me know

evil281

Established Member
Ok thanks man, will do :)
If anyone knows different about X4 please let me know

I have the X4 and VMP. When you select the tune you would like to load it will ask if you would like to view other parameters. It will have global spark, axle gear ratio, tire size etc.

demas

Established Member
I have the X4 and VMP. When you select the tune you would like to load it will ask if you would like to view other parameters. It will have global spark, axle gear ratio, tire size etc.

Cool! thanks !

ShatterPoints

Cool! thanks !

The handheld will change global spark. I would not use global spark to make any adjustments. It bypasses all tables and modifiers and just adds or subtracts from the final calculated total. That's bad because of the 16 or so hfdx tables + borderline knock table etc which are all evaluated to arrive at the final calculation. I suppose it would really depend on how the tune was originally done and its possible pulling spark globally in your case may not be horrible. Personally I would be weary of doing that.

AKDMB

Established Member
Pulling timing globally is fine, adding timing globally would be risky. Whatever timing value the PCM arrives at( between Borderline and MBT tables as well as what the knock sensors add/subtract) , it will subtract from that. I would try to stay away from making chanes on the handheld and just ask for another tune.

Last edited:

bmoney50

Established Member
I have added and removed global spark for 2 years without issue for index racing. Ideally you want to be tuned for max spark and just remove as needed. talk with your tuner and log log log so you know what's going on.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Remember, Global is what the name implies. It's not WOT, it's not at any particular rpm. As load decreases, spark advance goes up (take a peek at a cruise log vs a wot log at the same rpm to see). No need in using global. Just order a revision and get it bumped up.

bj

Users who are viewing this thread