change fuel pump or not???

oscarhdz

Established Member
hi, i make a swap from v6 99 to a cobra 99, i swap everything need to start the engine, te cars runs good and everything, but i didnt changed the fuel pump, i still have the v6 pump, so i want to know if the car isnt giving me the hp it should because of the fuel pump, or is it the same fuel pump from the v6 to the cobra, thanks for your answers.
:beer:

oscarhdz

Established Member
but you do thing that my car isnt doing his best with that v6 pump?? cause i thing so, cause i have this on my car: 32v 99 cobra engine, long tubes, UDP, 2 1/2 complete exhaust with dynomax, 3.73s gears, irs with tokico shocks subframe connectors, all poly bushings and other performance bar, motoblue racing coils, jlt ram air intake, and sct bama tune, and i took it to the track and with normal sumitomo tires, normal preassure on tires, and letting it go at 2,000 rpms, my best was 14.3's i couldnt do less, so maybe the tak off was to slow but i didnt want to brake the irs, i was doing safe take off, but i thing i could do better, so i was thinking maybe the pump wasnt sending enough gas. thanks and please dont laugh on my times :)

01yellercobra

Established Member
I would do some datalogging. If your fuel pump duty cycle doesn't hit 100% I wouldn't worry about it. You probably just need practice at the track. And some decent tires.

oscarhdz

Established Member
thanks how do i do the datalogging can you tell me please, and yes i need practice its my first time going to the track, thanks

Last edited:

swt99svt

Established Member
I would change it to a SVT Focus pump but that is just me. They are the best bang for the buck.

+1. Think about the mileage your car had and the age of the pump itself. You bumped the power and went with and entirely different power plant. Spend the $$$ and save your motor from grenading. If anything, you'll have the extra fuel to spare when you go FI.

oscarhdz

Established Member
ok thanks a lot, do you know a page where i can find the svt pump, cause on ebay it come s uo a lot of different pump aftermarket and everything, and i dont know a lot of fuel pumps, so i need your advice. thanks

swt99svt

Established Member
ok thanks a lot, do you know a page where i can find the svt pump, cause on ebay it come s uo a lot of different pump aftermarket and everything, and i dont know a lot of fuel pumps, so i need your advice. thanks

Can't speak to the SVT but I bought the Ford GT pump @ Jegs for $169 and that was better than any price I could find. The second piece you need is the submersible fuel line and that part number is #27093 and it's made by Gates.

oscarhdz

Established Member
but are you running on turbo or supercharger?? or did you installed a fuel regulator too?? cause its not too much lph 255 for a N/A. just asking?? thanks for your help or do you have your oem cobra fuel pump, maybe i can buy that one.

swt99svt

Established Member
but are you running on turbo or supercharger?? or did you installed a fuel regulator too?? cause its not too much lph 255 for a N/A. just asking?? thanks for your help or do you have your oem cobra fuel pump, maybe i can buy that one.

I'm on a blown setup. I will have my stock cobra pump available once the install is complete.

scotts99snake

Established Member
I had a problem with the SVT Focus pump when I procharged my 99 cobra. Other guys have had no problems. I will say if you plan on supercharging it in the future, I would bite the bullet now and buy the 03 tank and pumps. Save yourself the headache. If you do decide to go with the focus/gt single pump setup you can save yourself a few bucks on the submersible fuel hose and buy the plastic line as shown in this thread: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/engine-tuning-214/762154-my-pprv-delete.html

oscarhdz

Established Member
ok thanks a lot, right now supercharger or turbo its not on my plans, too much cash for me right now, im planning to finish it from the outside, and then im going to get the intirior of the cobra 03 04, and then back to the engine. i think im going to go with the focus pump, thanks.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I had a problem with the SVT Focus pump when I procharged my 99 cobra. Other guys have had no problems. I will say if you plan on supercharging it in the future
I can relate, just maxed the Aviator Bap setup on the Dyno today at 5700 rpms and 486RW, gonna modify the stock tank to accept the twin Cobra hat and basket!

oscarhdz

Established Member
I can relate, just maxed the Aviator Bap setup on the Dyno today at 5700 rpms and 486RW, gonna modify the stock tank to accept the twin Cobra hat and basket!

i saw on your sig that you have IRS, on the track do you get any type of wheel hop or something? or did you erase it with only the billetflow brace? its cause i have irs too and i have all mm bushings, subframe connectors, billetflow cover plate, kenny brown brace, tokico rear shocks, and when i launch at 3,500 rpms it still does wheel hop!!! i dont know what else to upgrade to launch it hard. i need to launch it at 1,500-2,000 rpms to dont have that problem.

01yellercobra

Established Member
i saw on your sig that you have IRS, on the track do you get any type of wheel hop or something? or did you erase it with only the billetflow brace? its cause i have irs too and i have all mm bushings, subframe connectors, billetflow cover plate, kenny brown brace, tokico rear shocks, and when i launch at 3,500 rpms it still does wheel hop!!! i dont know what else to upgrade to launch it hard. i need to launch it at 1,500-2,000 rpms to dont have that problem.

You need stickier tires. A set of DR's will help. If you can get a set of tires for the track it might be worth looking into slicks.

oscarhdz

Established Member
so if i buy some nittos it will help me more than the sumitomos i have to avoid wheel hop, and the slicks would be even better. but with some nittos are fine right?

Users who are viewing this thread