Certified Flight Instructor Checkride Passed!

Ford>Chevy

Established Member
Yesterday, I successfully met the requirements to become a Certified Flight Instructor! The preparation for this day has been going on the past 9 weeks, and boy was it hard. The course required everyone enrolled in the class (8 of us) to compile a binder with 71 Lesson Plans inside of it to teach to our students. Mine ended up being close to I believe 700 pages, double sided at that, and we had 6 weeks to complete it along with flying everyday we could. If we didn't fly, we taught lessons to our instructors (90 minutes). And then in the afternoons, we had a ground class that lasted 3 hours everyday, Monday-Friday, for 6 weeks. I taught 3 times, and went the full 3 hours each day. The exam itself (the final for lack of better term) was a 5.2 hour discussion on the ground, and the flight was just under 2 hours coming in at 1.7. We broke up the exam over a period of days due to bad weather but had we done everything in the same day, it would have been a 8AM-4/5PM affair. The amount of stress that has been temporarily relieved is so comforting now that this is over. I am so happy to finally achieve this accomplishment as I have been working towards it the past 4 years since I was in High School, and am now entering my final year as a college student. Oh, and one more thing, for any Boilermakers in here, Boiler Up!! Who wants to go fly!?

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
CFI 1.jpg
CFI 2.jpg

Coiled03

Established Member
Wait, so you're not going to be a commercial pilot? Your goal was just to be an instructor? That's cool, just not what I would've expected. Congrats either way!

EDIT: Sorry, if it sounded like I think being an instructor is any less worthy of a goal than being a commercial pilot. I realized it might've sounded that way when I said "just" to be an instructor. That wasn't my intention.

Last edited:

Ford>Chevy

Established Member
Wait, so you're not going to be a commercial pilot? Your goal was just to be an instructor? That's cool, just not what I would've expected. Congrats either way!
I will be instructing for awhile in the near future. Airlines have minimum hour requirements which I do not meet currently, but yes....airlines are the goal!

08mojo

Established Member
I will be instructing for awhile in the near future. Airlines have minimum hour requirements which I do not meet currently, but yes....airlines are the goal!

I have a few friends that are commercial pilots. You are certainly on the right path (which you obviously know). Good luck!

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Congrats!

A friend in the Navy has done helicopters, fixed wing instructor and now learning what I understand is the equivalent of a 737. They definitely put you pilots through a lot, he was planning to leave and go commercial pilot as well until they offered him this gig.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Congratulations, I can relate to the stress-monkey off the back feeling when I completed my teaching degree (not nearly as difficult or strenuous I’m sure) from...

Indiana! Purdue sucks :)

Equalbracket

Established Member

EDIT: Sorry, if it sounded like I think being an instructor is any less worthy of a goal than being a commercial pilot. I realized it might've sounded that way when I said "just" to be an instructor. That wasn't my intention.

It's nobody's goal to become a CFI I have three in my family, nobody does it for the money as there isn't much to be made, it's just a step you have to take to log the amount of hours required for commercial flight

B0B

Established Member
Congratulations! That’s awesome. I have my private pilot check ride coming up in about two weeks then I’ll be starting my instrument training. I’ll be following the same path as you over the next year. I decided to pursue a career in aviation this year and I can’t wait to get there. I plan on becoming a CFI until I reach 1500 hours then off to Horizon, then Alaska. It’s a long road but the payoff is huge.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Get your II and start working at a flight school. That's about the best way to log hours unless you are a millionaire.

Or go 50/50 on a 152 with someone who has their license and is an A&P. They do the maintenance and you can repay them with instruction. Those little planes can be leaned out to like 5gph and they are so slow you get like an hour just trying to do a few touch and goes lol.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Congrats OP! Pops has his single engine certificate and I've always wanted to get mine. Unfortunately I have to wait until I can afford it (after grad school).

I was talking to some airline pilots (won't say which one) at a bar a while back and I asked them if they had any advice for someone working on their private certificate, their response left me in shock:
pilot-"ALWAYS round up your hours."
me-"what, like 31minutes is an hour?"
p-"lol, no, like 1 hour is 4 hours."
*blank stare*
p-"you'd be very surprised."

So not the best advice I've ever received...

Coiled03

Established Member
Congrats OP! Pops has his single engine certificate and I've always wanted to get mine. Unfortunately I have to wait until I can afford it (after grad school).

I was talking to some airline pilots (won't say which one) at a bar a while back and I asked them if they had any advice for someone working on their private certificate, their response left me in shock:
pilot-"ALWAYS round up your hours."
me-"what, like 31minutes is an hour?"
p-"lol, no, like 1 hour is 4 hours."
*blank stare*
p-"you'd be very surprised."

So not the best advice I've ever received...

LOL.

I mean, do they validate the number of hours you write down? I have no idea how any of that works.

Users who are viewing this thread