Ceramic coated intake.

SLPRCTM

Established Member
Hello All,

I decided to do some modifications to my lower intake while I had it off for a valve cover swap. I have a whipple so it all had to come off for the passenger side cover to be replaced. I did a little port/clearance work to the injector bosses and gasket matched the ports. (I will do the heads on the next adventure). While I had it off, I decided to have it fully ceramic coated inside and out. I was wondering if anyone else has tried this? The ceramic coating will obviously insulate the manifold but will also smooth out the rough casting of the aluminum. I run a killer chiller and on a dyno, average an ITA2 temp of 88'F. My thought was if I can reduce the radiant heat entering the manifold, it should reduce my intake temps further. I tried searching here and all over the net and could not find anything about someone trying all this on one of our intakes. Anyone else looked into this or though of giving it a try? I have a retune scheduled for Oct 6th so I will have data to report back with in a few weeks.

Thanks! :beer:

cobracide

Established Member
A ceramic coated lower would hold the IN heat and would probably have opposite of the desired effect. Go killer chiller to lower intake temps.

Last edited:

SLPRCTM

Established Member
I already run a killer chiller so my application is a little different. Basically the theory is to prevent heat transfer in the intake manifold. The intake sits in a well surround by the hot engine. This causes the manifold to absorb heat from the block and add heat to the incoming air charge. As long as the manifold is hotter than the air charge, heat is being added to the air charge. I am already sending 88 degree air into a hot manifold. If I can keep the manifold temp down or atleast drop the amount of heat the intake transfers back into my cold intake air, this will drop the IAT2 temp that enters the cylinder.

SLPRCTM

Established Member
Thanks! Without the killer chiller, it would be a toss up as to what is hotter, the intake air charge or the manifold. My goal is ice crystals on the intake valves. ;-) haha!

SLPRCTM

Established Member
Not sure. The manifold should be done on Thursday, so I will ask what manufacture it is when I pick it up. I will post a couple pics also before I put it back on.

Last edited:

keith89

Established Member
ugh. I wish i thought of this when I had my lower intake off. I have a killer chiller too. I can feel the hoses in and out of the intercooler are very cold. I know the lower intake is absorbing engine heat and radiant heat from the outside while it's being cooled from the inside by the killer chiller. I'll subscribe to see how this works out.

SLPRCTM

Established Member
Picked up the manifold today. It looks awesome. It is going to be a shame to bury it in the motor under the super charger.

DF7A2183-318A-4A0B-869E-B11CFD62802E-3452-0000061EED9B2D75.jpg

C7473135-6733-4C84-968C-BB3E96FEA516-3452-0000061ECD7910DC.jpg

9FF3D297-A45C-48E5-8E4E-B459A933CF88-3452-0000061EB54ABEF4.jpg

IA Shelby

Established Member
I will be very interested to see your results. On the surface it seems to be a brilliant idea. Then again I don't have a degree in ceramic engineering. I hop this works. Thanks for sharing.

SLPRCTM

Established Member
I did the install work on all the mods on my car including the killer chiller. I am a HVAC tech so the refrigerant portion was very easy. The manifold coating was done by Accessories Plus in Belmont, Ca. They do some of the best work I have ever seen and are super nice and friendly. They are very picky about quality and things get done on time.

Vnmous1_04

InFamous Racing
Established Member
I did the install work on all the mods on my car including the killer chiller. I am a HVAC tech so the refrigerant portion was very easy. The manifold coating was done by Accessories Plus in Belmont, Ca. They do some of the best work I have ever seen and are super nice and friendly. They are very picky about quality and things get done on time.

Yeah I do all the work on my car also but leave the crafts to the craftsmen haha don't bother trying unless I want to learn something new but I will probably do the exact same thing...just waiting for you haha to let us know the results...especially since I will be running an E85 2.9 Whipple W/ Killer Chiller...so that makes me really interested in your setup

SLPRCTM

Established Member
Got everything put back together tonight and went for a ride. Car runs great and seams to have a bit more zip in the mid throttle range out of boost. I will see what my IAT2 temps are when I get a chance to data log or if I get my tune first.

Users who are viewing this thread