Cerakote on exhaust

96dreamer

Established Member
Anyone have experience with Cerakote on exhaust manifolds and the effectiveness it has on heat? Have a set of ARH longtubes and mid pipe on the way and I am considering coating with their glacier series of air cure coatings. I am not worried as much about corrosion protection since they are all ss but the trans tunnel has always been hot since i've had the bbks and I'd like to cut that down if possible. I have experience doing small fire arms pieces but nothing this large or that has been subject to as harsh of an environment.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Ahhh damnit, who’s the guy on here with orange ultima kit car or whatever?

Total brain fart…

LostM

Established Member
I have done about 10 sets so far. I have nothing but great feedback. I have done the black and 1 set silver. Unfortunatlry, noone has given me concrete heat dat, IE before/after underhood temps, and im not home to do my own car for another month.

As with anythign its all in the prep. Hardest part is degreasing. i do this several times with several agents since these wont be baked
soap and water 1st, then degreaser 2x then acetone 2x. total prep time for me, including blasting ( yes you will need to blast these with alum oxide) is abotu 2 days, and then 5 day cure. The can be boxed and shipped after 1 day, but i wait the 5 since everyone is local

For refernece, its a nice side piece. for Headers alone I charge $150, for headers+connectors+X I charge 200.

oh, and ARH are a PITA. Kooks are way easier

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    450.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 1b.jpg
    1b.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 1c.jpg
    1c.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 1d.jpg
    1d.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 1e.jpg
    1e.jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 1f.jpg
    1f.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 72

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow, very nice work on those headers. Your price to do them is very reasonable. I like the silver, but dang, the black is nice as well.

96dreamer

Established Member
@LostM those all tuned out great, I also agree with CobraBob that seems like a great price. If you were local I would probably just have you knock mine out. Did you use the actual silver or the titanium coating.

I have done or helped do a few gun parts and have experienced the finickyness it can have with prep work. I don't believe these will fit in my blast cabinet without a major hassle so I will have to have them done at a local shop.

If I was really ambitious I would wire in an underhood temp sensor to my ms3 to do a before and after but I don't foresee having the time to do that.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Not specifically cerakote(I think it is jet-hot?), but I have my exhaust manifolds, uppipes, and downpipe all ceramic coated and the heat difference is noticeable. They've also held up well for years to pretty extreme temps. I'll do it to every set I can.

96dreamer

Established Member
I had my bbks ceramic powder coated years ago and it has not held up well. They're pitted and rusted pretty bad imo for being coated. I suspect the prep wasn't all the great since they were coated used. I am hoping with a new set and prepping correctly it will hold up better.

Users who are viewing this thread