Centrifugal idle noise comparison? procharger vs paxton/vortech?

nate714

Established Member
Hey guys I'm curious if the paxton/vortech superchargers make as much idle noise as procharger setups? Seems like procharger idle whine overpowers exhaust in many cars I've seen at shows, but I haven't seen many vortech/paxton blowers in person.

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
Paxton idle is pretty quiet if you ask me. I have stock exhaust and barely hear the SC at idle; have to know what you are listening for.

imeyers302

Established Member
Procharger sound depends on whether or not you get the helical gears which are available with the P1 and D1 blowers. With the helical gears mine is really quiet. Just a slight whine at idle. Without them the procharger is definitely louder.

PC03GT

Established Member
The vortech is just loud enough to let you know it's there. I have full exhaust and you can still hear it at idle, but I removed the hood insulation too which probably makes it a little louder

_Snake_

Established Member
Procharger sound depends on whether or not you get the helical gears which are available with the P1 and D1 blowers. With the helical gears mine is really quiet. Just a slight whine at idle. Without them the procharger is definitely louder.

+1

nate714

Established Member
Thanks for info guys. I love hearing air induction and boost noises but the gear noise on some procharger setups sounds like a metal grinder to me.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
If you put a the Vortech V-1 straight cut gears head unit on your Coyote you'd surely know it was there. The V-2 and V-3(the one in the Coyote Kit) use the diagonally cut helical gears which are quieter.

SVTPete83

Established Member
My t trim vortech has straight cut gears and sounds badass at idle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

nate714

Established Member
That sounds undesirable haha. I love loud induction, exhaust, blowoff, etc, but I'll pass on the gear noise.

_Snake_

Established Member
There have been times when I thought something was wrong because my Procharger was so quiet. It really depends on if you get the helical gears.

Gruca

Established Member
My Paxton is pretty loud, but mechanically loud and not so much from the air or the pulley. The JLT intake on it is louder, the Tial Q BOV is even louder...

Users who are viewing this thread