Centri Guys, Intake options?

03zincyellowsvt

Established Member
So i got my car dynoed this april and was a bit disappointed in the power output, it put down 635whp on 100oct at 24psi i was really hoping for between 675 and 700. im starting to think that im a bit restricted on the intake side as i have just an 01 stock intake and throttle body. now i know that as far as options im pretty limited to a sullivan or port/short runner my intake. does anyone have any experience with both or a good comparison of the sullivan compared to the ported/short runner 01? also i keep hearing that the sullivan is pretty much a top end intake would i be giving up too much midrange as compared to the 01?

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
you're bottle necking your setup basically. you could do a sullivan, or a PSR. I went with a PSR. but if your heads and cams are stock then you're not too far off with your numbers as you are really limiting your setup. I am figuring on right around 8xx on pump and meth for my setup on 20#

03zincyellowsvt

Established Member
Yea I know its really bottled up but I figure id gain a good amount of hp just by upgrading the intake. I just don't want to lose any mid range I have

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
No way would I run a Sullivan.. They look sick, but unless it's a full blown drag car you wouldn't see me with one.. They absolutley kill tq regardless of the rear gear that you have..

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/engine-tuning-214/773734-f1a-cog-drive-sullivan-intakes.html

I'm sure you saw this thread, look at the lack of tq! at 7k.. unless you are spinning 8k it's not worth it imo. I would do a PSR, and modifiy it to accept a SBTB, and throw a huge ass intake spacer on it. This is for a street car which I'm assuming you have based off of other posts that I've seen. You mainly run the car on the street.

I hate to say this but based off of that graph I would rape that F1A car with my little T-trim. I make more tq and hp per RPM than him expect for the last 400rpm or so.. And that was with my old setup. What exhaust do you have on your car btw??

EDIT: nvm just read your sig.. There is something wrong here though.. My car on 15psi and 21 degrees of timing only made like 20 less rwhp that you if that, with 9lbs less of boost.... I think there is something wrong besides just the intake.. :shrug:

Last edited:

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
I think there's soemthing up as well- I love the sully, but seems they're going out of business, and the only thing I ike aobut them is the looks.

03zincyellowsvt

Established Member
That's what im afraid of, im hoping id gain around 50 hp with an intake but Idk. Otherwise either the motor or blower is shot, which seems odd because it shows no indication of something failing it seems to run strong, doesn't make any odd noises etc. Any other ideas your making me nervous lol

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
That's what im afraid of, im hoping id gain around 50 hp with an intake but Idk. Otherwise either the motor or blower is shot, which seems odd because it shows no indication of something failing it seems to run strong, doesn't make any odd noises etc. Any other ideas your making me nervous lol

can you do a quick comp test? also-what pulley are you running- cause that will tell alot. if you're running a pulley that should only be giving you 20 psi for example, then we know there is a restriction somewhere. I can't see any pics at work but are you running the procharger upper intake?

03zincyellowsvt

Established Member
Im running a stock 01 intake and tb with a 45t blower pulley and an 81t crank according to procharger at 6500 the blower should be pushing +/- 20psi and im seeing 24psi at about 6700rpm, that's how I figured the restriction was the intake. Ill have to do the comp test next week, Ive kinda been putting it off cuz I didn't wanna get pissed off

Ironhand

Banned
While the Sully is a nice piece, it also requires alot of work to get right. The ports aren't exactly the way they should be. Al P. spends alot of time changing the inside of the lower to the proper port dimensions.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
Im running a stock 01 intake and tb with a 45t blower pulley and an 81t crank according to procharger at 6500 the blower should be pushing +/- 20psi and im seeing 24psi at about 6700rpm, that's how I figured the restriction was the intake. Ill have to do the comp test next week, Ive kinda been putting it off cuz I didn't wanna get pissed off

I think you're fine dude as far as the comp test goes- but if I were you- just for now and budget wise- do a PSR intake- you have a front mount right? what size piping do you have?

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
I would guess that with the right intake you should make 700 on 20-21psi since you don't have any internal work done- it's hard to squeeze more out without pushing the boost- which pushes the octane requirement. 95sc made 905rwhp shutting down at 6800 on 22# and E85. I'm going to be running 20# starting out but revving to 7500-7700- should be around 8xx on pump and meth

03zincyellowsvt

Established Member
That's what im hoping for, id be happy with 675 on 100 and 630ishim on pump, is my 01 intake worth porting and making a short runner or since Sullivan is going under a psr (even though I've never heard if them)

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
That's what im hoping for, id be happy with 675 on 100 and 630ishim on pump, is my 01 intake worth porting and making a short runner or since Sullivan is going under a psr (even though I've never heard if them)

PSR=ported short runner;-)
me and my buddy did mine on my 96-98 cobra intake- seems to be your simplest option

32vApe

Not Fast Enough
Established Member
I dont think a psr would do much. Your still limited by how much the stock intake flows. Yea a sullivan might make a little more peak power but you will loose a good chunk of torque below 6k. Just have the stock intake ported and get a oval throttle body. There seems to be somthing wrong with the combo. How much timing? O/r x or cats? How big is the intercooler?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread