Centerforce DFX setup sweet

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
so im running on the 600 club and have been using a spec3 clutch for awhile now.

Spec3, when installed, was basically undrivable, I think I lost a couple fillings with all the chatter. 500 miles on breakin didnt help, a couple thousand miles and at least and it was managable with a little clutch/gas finess. The pedal effort was a lot less then stock which was nice.

I always wanted to upgrade the input shaft, and I had heard great things about this new centerforce dfx clutch. So I contacted the guys at lethal performance and picked up a TOB, Centerforce DFX clutch, centerforce pressure plate, and new flywheel (aluminum). Then ordered an input shaft from liberty gears.

Just had it installed yesterday (guy putting it in said everything fit perfectly, no shims needed on shaft or anything), He was really impressed with the pressure plate (its a lot nicer apparently then the spec one).

First impressions, my clutch feels like its from a honda LOL, no kidding, doesnt even feel like it works its so soft (gonna take some getting use to).
but even brand new with no break in there is almost no chatter (thank god),
and it doesnt have any trouble holding the power.

no weird noises, no vibration, nothing unusual on the drive home. I think its perfect, much much more drivable then the spec. I give it s thumbs up :thumbsup:

as good as everyone has been saying :rockon:

Mrcobraguy

Established Member
I think and this if you do the install your self about 900 bucks give or take a dollar or too. I'm just going to buy a new stock flywheel I don't need anything lighter then the 12 pounds that it is, correct me if i'm wrong but its already pretty damn light.

Last edited:

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
Its around 900 bucks like he said. The replacement flywheel was cheaper then buying a replacement stock flywheel (at least then ford looked it up they wanted a lot of money for a stock flywheel).

my replacement flywheel has the advantage of having the inner pressure surface is replaceable (its screwed in), whereas the stock flywheel its riveted.

not sure about weight but picking them both up by hand they didnt feel all that different in weight.

ive driven it some more and I still cant get over how drivable it is, even brand new.

2003 Silver

Banned
Would that be the same price to replace the stocker (not familiare with clutches...obviously). Does it have a liter feel than the stocker? I always feel like I am pushing my back thru the driver's seat when I depress the stock clutch.

seanwr400

Established Member
I installed the same set-up last weekend in my car. Ditto for everything the said, light as a feather pedal, and after 1 afternoon of cruising the chatter is all but gone. Was first clutch I've ever installed in anything, piece of cake, took me a few tries to get the right shim on the input shaft though. Had to rig up a way of clamping my dial inducator to the trans. But only took about 5 hours total, and about 1 hour of that was installing the LCD Cooling Mod. I highly recommend the DFX!

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
yup clutch is feather light (way lighter then stock clutch and is lighter then spec3 as well).

have some more miles on it and it just gets better, stop and go (where the clutch really heats up, no problem, whereas the spec would chatter even more).

super happy with it, still gets my vote :)

StngStr

Mustang-less
Established Member
I need to do this soon. Here are the prices I've been quoted:

CF pressure plate $235
CF DFX $210
Fidanza alum. flywheel $345
throwout bearing $35
Liberty Gear 26 spline input shaft w/shim $255.21

Total without shipping: $1080.21.....ouch. Then I have to pay for shipping and installation too. Sheesh! $1500 for a clutch job?!?!

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
Yeah, sucks! Welcome to the world of high powered cars... I've had Mustangs all my life and I still can't get over it. Just think if you had to test these things yourself with no testimonials from anyone like this thread! That in itself saves a shit load of money. :pepper: :banana:

SA SNAKE

Established Member
So did any of you guys who have had this clutch installed get it balanced? I have heard to get it balanced but local shops tell me I don't need to?

Gil

GodStang

Established Member
Hey Stngstr you are getting ripped. LFP has it for alot less. I just bought the DFX Clutch and PP for $369 total, Fidanza alum. flywheel $299, TOB $23.99, Liberty 26 spline input shaft with shims $269. This is a huge savings over what you where quoated. Mine should be in very soon.

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
@sa snake the flywheel was already balanced. its good to check in case something happens in shipping but cemterforce claims to balancing them before they ship them.

StreetProvenTQ

Established Member
I just put mine in and ill say im not as excited yet, but after reading some of your post it seems like the chatter will go away after a few miles? Damn thing shook me out of my seat. I do like the way the pedal feels though, its very light. I just hope the chatter goes away soon!

seanwr400

Established Member
StngStr said:
I need to do this soon. Here are the prices I've been quoted:

CF pressure plate $235
CF DFX $210
Fidanza alum. flywheel $345
throwout bearing $35
Liberty Gear 26 spline input shaft w/shim $255.21

Total without shipping: $1080.21.....ouch. Then I have to pay for shipping and installation too. Sheesh! $1500 for a clutch job?!?!

Install really isn't that hard. Easier on a lift but can be done on stands. That is one of the things I love about my car is the fact that I can do all the mods myself. It is almost as much fun as driving it. :)

seanwr400

Established Member
StreetProvenTQ said:
I just put mine in and ill say im not as excited yet, but after reading some of your post it seems like the chatter will go away after a few miles? Damn thing shook me out of my seat. I do like the way the pedal feels though, its very light. I just hope the chatter goes away soon!

Have faith grasshopper, it will go away.....

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
that little bit of stutter goes away and believe me that chatter your have now is nothing compared to a new spec3 clutch, ugh.

mine is just getting better and better. still a little bit annoying in really heavy stop and go traffic but still an improvement over the spec.

the lighter pedal is sweet, the little chatter it had is going away, and it holds power really well :) (yeah already got on it a few times lol who could resist).

Users who are viewing this thread