Center console trim buzzing sound

jpk

Established Member
I've got that annoying constant buzzing coming from the center radio+AC controls area. I already found the fix on here about upgrading the AC vents in the center console to the newer part that supposedly doesn't buzz. It definitely quieted things a big. But the buzz is still there.

If I just put a finger on the trim piece around the radio, it goes quiet. But let off and its there. Anyone have a quick fix for this?

'88347coupe

just a good ol boy
Established Member
Mine does the same thing. I'm thinking the only logical fix is a hand grenade. Ive tried and tried to fix it.

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
I had the same problem with mine a while back. If I remember right there is a double layer of plastic underneath that is like plastic spot welded. I ended up filling the voids with clear silicone and it fix it completely.

jpk

Established Member
I had the same problem with mine a while back. If I remember right there is a double layer of plastic underneath that is like plastic spot welded. I ended up filling the voids with clear silicone and it fix it completely.

Did you use like bathroom caulk silicone, or automotive stuff? I think I have both somewhere in the garage. I guess I will pop off the bezel and see what's under there.

JuStAkId

Just roll with it
Established Member
Did you use like bathroom caulk silicone, or automotive stuff? I think I have both somewhere in the garage. I guess I will pop off the bezel and see what's under there.

how does the bezel come off?

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
Just use a big tube of 100% silicone for a caulking gun because you will need a lot. Home or auto will work.

04cobra88

Established Member
had my car at the track today and I left there with 2 new buzzing and rattle noises one being right under my shifter boot an the other right on the dash where my gauages are oh joy! don't think it was worth going to the track lol espically when you don't run the times you expected !! :(

jpk

Established Member
how does the bezel come off?

I pulled it off a bunch of times working on trying to fix the issue yesterday. I must have popped it off and on at least 10 times getting to the root of the issue. So I got the steps down cold

1. Remove shift knob
2. Remove shifter boot and bezel by grabbing the base of the bezel where the leather boot connects and pulling up.
3. Now start prying the center console bezel off starting at the bottom. The bottom snaps in and will pop off easily
4. Pull the middle and again the next set of snaps should pop out easily.
5. The top of the center bezel where the AC vents are is the hardest to pull off. Slowly but forcefully pull until it finally snaps free.

jpk

Established Member
OK, I *finally* think I cured my center console buzzing. It was more involved than the fix discussed on the thread linked above.

A while ago now I purchased the upgraded AC vents that supposedly don't buzz. I installed them and the buzzing went away for a little while, but then came back! Buzzing was reduced probably by 50% with new vents.

I pulled off the bezel and I put the RTV sealant around the AC vent cluster where it snaps into the bezel as shown in some of the pictures on the other thread. Put the bezel back on and again at first it seemed fix. But after a few miles of driving and hitting bumps and rough road, the buzzing was back! It was again a bit reduced, but still there. Listening carefully, it sure sounded like the buzzing was not coming from the AC vent area at all, but was coming from the three buttons at the bottom of the center console (defrost, traction control, fog lights). If I just put my finger lightly on the defrost button, the buzzing would stop.

Now I was determined! I tapped all over the console and it sure seemed like tapping on the buttons made the buzzing noise. I pulled the bezel off and sat in my garage tapping all over the bezel to see if I could make the buttons buzz when the bezel was off. Nope, I couldn't. So I figured that it must be the buttons making the noise when the bezel was in place and rubbing on something behind the bezel that holds it in place.

I started applying Dynomat to everywhere I thought the bezel made contact with the dash behind it. I'd put a piece on something, pop the bezel on, tap around, and see if it buzzed. I must have put Dynomat on 8 different places on the bezel and dash before I found it.

It's the spiked prongs on the bezel! When the bezel is popped on, they vibrate on the plastic holes in the dash that hold them in place, creating an annoying plastic buzz. I covered each spike on the bezel in a thin piece of Dynomat, and popped the bezel on. It was slightly snug but still could get the prongs to pop into place.

Silent!

Phew! For those who have tried the recommended AC vent fixes and still have noise, try this. I am so happy to have a much quieter interior, it's like I got a new car!

jpk

Established Member
I think what I found out explains why people are able to quiet it when they jammed pennies or toothpicks into the top of the bezel. The pressure on the bezel will push down on the plastic spikes keeping them from vibrating in their holes. Wrapping them in a thin layer of dynomat (I imagine electrical tape could do the same trick) also snugs them in place and prevents those pointy edges from making noise.

Zemedici

Established Member
i used 3m tape on the top of the bezel and mine went away, as stated above when pressure is put on the vents it ceases, so I put tape to hold it in place and it never made the noise again.

Users who are viewing this thread