Cell Phone Carriers Logging Keystrokes!!!

STROKED2VALVE

Established Member
Just got this from work.

Attached is a link to an article about a piece of software that is installed on many Android, Nokia and Blackberry phones. While the software according to the vendor and carriers (AT&T, Verizon, etc) is to provide information to help improve service, it is clearly capturing ALL information from the use of the phone (watch the video and you will see that is it capturing keystrokes. An example of what this means: if you access your bank account and enter your user ID and password, that information is captured by Carrier IQ and stored on their server via this software.). The research by the individual who found this has created a firestorm as you can imagine. Articles have surfaced on Wired.com, InformationWeek, ZDNet.com, CNET.com and I’m sure many other sites. We are monitoring the information as it is made available and will keep you posted on new developments.

Researcher’s Video Shows Secret Software on Millions of Phones Logging Everything | Threat Level | Wired.com

Awt2

Established Member
I don't see it being a huge deal for Android espically since alot of phones are rooted with custom roms. The software is not impossible to remove. Although, it is a breach of ones privacy. If it was installed, but the logs could only be accessed with legal reason, its understandable

I mean hell, your ISP already keeps a log of your web traffic. Is it really much more to keep raw text? There is far too much data, that even if someone wanted to try and fish something out of it, it would be alot of work. Remember, this isn't just software on one or two specific phones. This is across networks

Also, if your carrier wanted to, they could get most of the information anyway, they have your credit information, they have your name. All the "big" information they could possibley get, they already have access to.

To sum this up, the only problem I see with this, is its a breach of privacy.

Sent from my ThunderBolt using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm not surprised by this OR concerned with this.

There are a dozen ways to track peoples usage of a phone, so even if I remove this from my phone, it is still being tracked multiple other ways. I cant do anything to prevent it, so there is no point in caring or being paranoid.

04SVTF

Established Member
Also, if your carrier wanted to, they could get most of the information anyway, they have your credit information, they have your name. All the "big" information they could possibley get, they already have access to.

I don't think he is necessarily concerned about the provider having the info, more concerned about the info getting "misplaced" or stolen.

Last edited:

STROKED2VALVE

Established Member
Several years ago a laptop was stolen that contained information from military service members. Was there different ways of obtaining service members personal information, sure. My point is just because information is obtainable doesn't mean several avenues of obtaining that info need to be available. Identity theft is and has been on the rise. My bank log in name and password are for my eyes only, not my carrier or the criminal that obtains it illegally from my carrier.

Satyr

Established Member
Another reason why my cell phone isn't used for any really important stuff. Then again, my ISP has access to all my passwords, SSN, and answers to most questions that only I should know...and they can read this right now. Doh!

Must...sever...all...connections...to...the...interwebz...

STROKED2VALVE

Established Member

Did you provide your carrier with your online bank log in ID and password? No of course you didn't. They do have access to your credit report, but that's hardly what I was referencing.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
If you're on the grid at all, then all of your information is out there for the having.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Not surprising. And just another instance of our privacies being compromised by the Digital Age. The only way to really privatize your identity is to throw away your computers, smart phones, tablets, etc. and move to a remote wilderness area. Seriously, nothing is private any longer. Virtually everything we do is monitored in some form or fashion. Which is why we're not hearing a lot about this new discovery on the local news. It just isn't big news.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
This will make Skynet a more efficient killing machine.

Sent with My Massive Johnson

Mjavant1985

Figgy (Cam) Newton
Established Member
Not suprised to much by this. Got a scam phone call at home the other day, from a guy guy with heavy pakistanish accent that as soon as i said "hello" he spat out my social #,bank account #, and current balance of said bank account and said i was being sued for non-payment of a bank loan that i never took...i laughed, and hung up.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
meh...not surprised. I'd just be happy if the damn thing would make a phone call and maintain it.

They can log that.

Awt2

Established Member
meh...not surprised. I'd just be happy if the damn thing would make a phone call and maintain it.

They can log that.

This is true. I hate dropped calls in my basement, even with "4g"

Users who are viewing this thread