CEL problems...

lastexit99

Established Member
Ok a little background. I got a 96 cobra. Mostaly stock except for the rear gears. My gar has been a daily driver almost its whole life, but the 5 it has been garage kept.

Last summer I got a random CEL that would come and go, and when I had the code read it was the Evaporative emissions code. SO after some research I replaced the check valve & solenoid under the hood as well as the nearly 20 year old hose that runs between them. Didn't turn the light off.

So yesterday I put on a new vapor canister and ran new hose from the solenoid out to the canister. still got the check engine light. On a side note the line that comes off of the cannister back into the engine bay is just let open. After research I think that is right but doesn't hurt to ask. I wonder if it were plugged up if that would give me the code?

Anyway, I don't know of anything else to check, before I go and spend a few hundred bucks to have it check at a garage anyone else have some suggentions?

lastexit99

Established Member
one guy told me to unplug the battery for 15 minutes to clear the code fromt he computer. I wasn't aware that you needed to do this...any truth there?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
if the light is on and staying on then yes you need to clear it, unhooking the battery will probably clear it, going to the autoparts store and having them read the code for free then clearing it will definitely make sure its cleared.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
shit happens man, weve all had those moments. Id probably get it cleared with a handheld just to be absolutely sure, dont wanna be chasing your tail for no good reason

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
When you unhook the battery, press the brake pedal for a few seconds. That will immediately discharge the cap that supplies temporary power to the KAM. That way you don't have to wait for a long time for the KAM to clear.

lastexit99

Established Member
so last night, I borrowed a code reader, had 2 stored codes, cleared them, unplugged the reader, started the car and ran it for 10 - 15 minutes, no CEL. Hopefully I'm done with this for awhile and can get on with little upgrades I wanna do.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
hopefully that does it but sometimes those codes require a certain number of drive cycles before it trips again (a drive cycle does not necessarily mean a trip to the gas station around the corner will count)

if it does come back I would make a new thread with the exact codes you get (and a picture of the hose going nowhere), hell I know some codes can be caused by a gas cap not sealing properly (not sure what year that started though)

lastexit99

Established Member
So after a day of driving the CEL came back on. I cleared it again last night and it returned after about 10 minutes of driving. Someone had once mentioned that the gas cap could be not sealing properly. Mine does feel little loose, like it is worn with age. 112200 miles will do that I guess. LateModelrestoration.com has new ones for 20 bucks...I guess it maybe worth it to try. Any other suggestions?

SpittingCobra

Established Member
Still struggling with this code myself. I've replaced everything an smoked it. Still has the damn code. My only solution is to have my tuner block the EVAP code in the tune!

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
I bought a new gas cap from the local parts store for like $5. No need to pay $20. But I've had the same code myself. It stopped for awhile after the new gas cap but every time I get gas it will come on then go off the next day for about a week. And it didn't start doing that until 130,000 miles or so.

lastexit99

Established Member
got the car back from the Ford dealer yesterday, they said the car "passed all the tests" and they couldn't get the CEL to come back on. YEAH good news right. There was also an ABS light on that was caused by a bad fuse (one that melted) and he had a tough time replacing it. He got it replaced and it showed the Left side ABS sensor needed replaced. Not too big a deal right...

Well the CEL came back on today, and I have no Turnsignals or brake lights. So glad I took my car ot the shop...(obviously sarcasm).

lastexit99

Established Member
UPDATE:

So I went back to the ford dealer the next day, the fuse for the brake lights and turnsignal had "vibrated loose", and he put it back in and it has been fine ever since. I asked about the CEL being back on, and they said that they did every test they could and it passed. What I probably had was a "pinhole" leak that they couldn't identify. and wasn't doing any harm other than causing the CEL to come on.

Any idea on how to get the light to stay off?

Users who are viewing this thread