CCW Question - Kids...

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
For those of you who CCW with small children in the house how do you talk with your kids about the secrecy and seriousness of the situation without instilling fear in them?

My daughter is 7 years old. I just started my CCW process. I'm carrying around the house as often as I can to break my holster in, get used to it, test it with different clothing options, etc. Well, my daughter has seen me carry a few times as I'm doing stuff around the house. I can tell it's causing her concern. I've tried to explain to her why, etc. but nothing seems to be getting through. Thoughts?

The cutest thing she's said so far: "Daddy, when you carry your gun do you feel like a cowboy?". lol

smitty2919

Established Member
Do you think she understands the concept of a gun? I would think you need to explain to her what it is and that it is dangerous if not used correctly...like running with scissors, or playing around with a knife. They are not toys. When used correctly they are safe but used incorrectly she can cut herself. She may warm up to it the more she sees it on you.

You can phrase it as "I wear it to keep our house and family safe".

I don't have kids nor e a CCW so my suggestion may be nothing.

crfrider16

Heretic
Established Member
She my be curious about it, and scared of it as well. I think the best way to make her feel at ease is to just sit down with her and show her the gun (safe handling goes without saying) Teach her about making sure it's unloaded, muzzle discipline, finger off the trigger, etc.

I feel like a lot of gun accidents happen with kids because their curiosity gets the best of them, when if they were just introduced to it properly, it wouldn't be a problem.

At 2 years old, my son knows what my gun is, and he knows it's "danger." He obviously doesn't comprehend much at his age, but it's never too early for them to learn to respect firearms.

SHOdown220

Established Member
That's a good question, I haven't thought much about it as I don't currently have kids but I will in the next few years. I do carry though, every day. It was hard enough explaining that to my fiancé when we first met. I think another problem is going to be her telling everyone at school and all her friends parents that you carry a gun around which most people think is just the craziest thing in the world. I wish you the best of luck but I don't have a lot of suggestions. What are you carrying by the way?

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks guys.

I've tried explaining to her that I am doing this to protect her and Mommy. Then we play the game of would you protect Zoey? Would you protect Mrs. Reid? Would you protect ... The game goes on.

Then the next question is "Protect us from who Daddy?". Another tough question to answer without instilling unnecessary anxiety or fear of other people.

I've always had guns around the house. I've always kept them locked up though. This is the first time she is seeing one out and on me.

I do like the suggestion of showing her the gun and letting her handle it (safely of course). I think that might ease her anxiety a bit.

So really this boils down to addressing general gun safety (easier to explain) and, secondly, the moral implications of carrying a loaded weapon (tough to explain without instilling fear or anxiety).

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I knew nothing about guns and their supposed danger or requirement for home safety growing up.

Not to say we didnt have them, just that they werent some mystical machine. Dad, Grandpa, Uncles, and friends all had them, kids didnt mess with them, sometimes he had one on him, sometimes my friends used them to hunt. No big deal. I also grew up around heavy equipment and knew a slip of a jack handle could kill you, so a gun was always the same way. Treat something wrong and someone died. Respect everything.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
It would be no different then any family that hunts and has guns around the house.

Proper gun safety is taught and continuously monitored.

Start with the basics and talk to her about handling a gun properly and safely. This is Paramount!

A gun should be pointed in a safe direction at All Times and at No Time pointed at another person.

Handle every gun as if it is Loaded and ready to fire.

Take her to a shooting range and demonstrate to her how to properly load, aim and fire the weapon.

Show her how to properly check to insure the weapon is empty and how to store and transport it safely.

After all that, if you feel she is old enough, let her handle the unloaded gun, watching her to make sure she handles it correctly at all times. Stress the importance of always knowing where that gun is pointed and that it is pointed in a safe direction.

When you feel she understands and respects the rules of handling a firearm, you can progress from there.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Just want to add that I was never taught that a gun's purpose is to kill people, or that you carried it to stop bad people.

I was taught that handling/using a gun improperly WILL kill someone. It was a tool, albeit one you dont screw around with. I never thought of them as evil or scary even when little.

Blown 89

Established Member
Chances are she's being influenced by anti-gunners at school and I'm sure she's seeing firearms being demonized on TV and is scared. Liberals are scaring the hell out of kids right now unfortunately....it's the only way they can push their agenda. I've had parents ask me not to mention the "G word" because their family doesn't believe in even talking about them. These are the types of people your kids are around at school all day and are driving that fear. You are in Illinois, I guarantee you she's getting that at school.

Talk to her like an adult, explain that there are criminals in the world, and give her an open invitation to see and handle it whenever she asks. She needs to understand that it's just a hunk of metal. You'd be surprised how many people think guns will load, walk around, and kill people all by themselves. My parents had an open door policy with firearms which was educational while eliminating the fear and curiosity most of my friends at that age had and allowed me to grow up as a rational adult about firearms.

Get a cheap revolver and subsonic rounds or even an air rifle and take her out plinking cans at a quiet and private range. If she's this terrified of them taking her out with a loud firearm will only make things worse.

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
Years ago I tried to explain gun safety to a friend's two little girls but they just didn't seem to get it.

So the next time we went out to the desert they went with us.

I set a watermelon out as a target and set the girls up ()one at a time) with a 410 shotgun. One round only. And stood behind them to catch them when it knocked them over.

After the watermelon exploded I told them now think about your puppy. If you had shot your puppy that was exactly what would happen to his head.

Now that they are all grown up they are suing me for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and mental abuse :kaboom:

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Chances are she's being influenced by anti-gunners at school and I'm sure she's seeing firearms being demonized on TV and is scared. Liberals are scaring the hell out of kids right now unfortunately....it's the only way they can push their agenda. I've had parents ask me not to mention the "G word" because their family doesn't believe in even talking about them. These are the types of people your kids are around at school all day and are driving that fear. You are in Illinois, I guarantee you she's getting that at school.

Talk to her like an adult, explain that there are criminals in the world, and give her an open invitation to see and handle it whenever she asks. She needs to understand that it's just a hunk of metal. You'd be surprised how many people think guns will load, walk around, and kill people all by themselves. My parents had an open door policy with firearms which was educational while eliminating the fear and curiosity most of my friends at that age had and allowed me to grow up as a rational adult about firearms.

Get a cheap revolver and subsonic rounds or even an air rifle and take her out plinking cans at a quiet and private range. If she's this terrified of them taking her out with a loud firearm will only make things worse.

Spot on. This is exactly what is happening. Guns have been demonized to the point where folks are afraid of them.

I just met my wife and daughter for lunch. I'm going to leave work early today and take her to the range while I shoot (she has to stay outside but she can see me through the glass). Then we are going to go home and clean it together. She's super excited. lol.

Once I get my rifle repaired I plan on taking the whole gang out for some shooting at a friends property. I'm going to bring along a few "low power" toys to try to teach my Daughter how to shoot.

Last edited:

nxhappy

Established Member
buy her a .22, seriously. The only way to teach safety is to do it hands on. If she has a gun, and you TEACH her the importance of safety, she will respect all guns. Of course, keep your gun locked up and not accessible to children.

T.Man

Established Member

Couldn't agree more. Exactly what I've done with my daughter, 7 almost 8 years of age.

Spot on. This is exactly what is happening. Guns have been demonized to the point where folks are afraid of them.

I just met my wife and daughter for lunch. I'm going to leave work early today and take her to the range while I shoot (she has to stay outside but she can see me through the glass). Then we are going to go home and clean it together. She's super excited. lol.

Once I get my rifle repaired I plan on taking the whole gang out for some shooting at a friends property. I'm going to bring along a few "low power" toys to try to teach my Daughter how to shoot.

Great idea. Sounds like you've got a great plan. Good luck buddy

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
If you're CCW and a 7 year old notices, I think you're doing it wrong. LOL

I'm not sure what I would do in your situation.

cbj5259

Established Member
I guess my situation is a little different as I carry as a requirement of my occupation, but the impression it leaves on my children is the same as anyone else. My kids know that a gun is a tool that is just one of the tools on daddy's belt. They have grown up seeing me with one and it really doesn't phase them. I removed the "mystery" of the gun a long time ago...as soon as they started asking questions. Let them look at it and ask questions. Children are naturally curious and will be all the more curious if you shroud it in mystery. Once you remove the curiosity from the equation they won't care any more. I've explained it to them as if it were a car. Cars help people move around and do important stuff, but used improperly or handled by a child they can injure or kill people. So I always explain that someday when they are old enough to drive a car and be responsible we can discuss learning how to handle a firearm.

As far as being concerned about what they might say to others...I would just let them know that some people are afraid of guns just like some people are afraid of dogs, cats and cars. So out of respect for those people we don't talk about it with other people.

Russo

Unofficial Glass Tech
Established Member
If you're CCW and a 7 year old notices, I think you're doing it wrong. LOL

I'm not sure what I would do in your situation.

sarcasm with no helpful advice, come on man..

my wife and i have three male offspring (6,9,12), we have had the talk with them, brought out all the rifles and pistols to the table, disassembled them, let them ask questions, etc.. i made it clear that they do not touch them and if they ever wanted to see them, hold them, shoot them, i would let them, but they must ask permission... that alleviates all the bad "curiosity" with them.. a few months ago i took my oldest offspring to the range to shoot my sbr Kriss suppressed and my wife's Daniel Defense MK18 suppressed.. he literally freaked because the guy on the side of us was shooting a .270.. he was miserable and didn't even pull the trigger one time.. it wasn't a good experience, but at least i know where he stands..

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Im staying with my brother and his family right now. He has a 7 year old and a 4 year old and while they may see my pistol on me when I leave for work in the morning, they never touch it or know where I put it. I would teach them about it but it's not my place and I dont think my brother and sister in law want me to. Basically I just keep it out of their reach all the time.

TaraFirma

Established Member
I guess my situation is a little different as I carry as a requirement of my occupation, but the impression it leaves on my children is the same as anyone else. My kids know that a gun is a tool that is just one of the tools on daddy's belt. They have grown up seeing me with one and it really doesn't phase them. I removed the "mystery" of the gun a long time ago...as soon as they started asking questions. Let them look at it and ask questions. Children are naturally curious and will be all the more curious if you shroud it in mystery. Once you remove the curiosity from the equation they won't care any more. I've explained it to them as if it were a car. Cars help people move around and do important stuff, but used improperly or handled by a child they can injure or kill people. So I always explain that someday when they are old enough to drive a car and be responsible we can discuss learning how to handle a firearm.

As far as being concerned about what they might say to others...I would just let them know that some people are afraid of guns just like some people are afraid of dogs, cats and cars. So out of respect for those people we don't talk about it with other people.

Best post in the thread.
This is pretty much what I've told my 4 year old. Every time he sees my gun he tells me "I don't touch daddys gun"
I've told him when he gets older we will go out shooting together. I know he can't wait, he always gets excited when I tell him that.

nxhappy

Established Member
totally agree on the curiosity thing. if the kids understand the gun they won't want to play with it. I think it's very important they learn the difference between toy guns, video games, and REAL guns.

MFE

Established Member
Now's the time for her to understand that the world is full of good people who are willing to help people in need, but it's also got a few bad people who cause the trouble. And unlike the movies, you can't always tell who they are. Chances are we'll all go a long long time without ever running into one, but they're out there. And as good as the police are, they can't be everywhere, and it's ultimately your job to protect yourself and your family. So, with that said, she also needs to understand that the gun isn't dangerous all by itself, but it can be if it's not treated with respect. Now's the time to teach her the basic safe handling rules, and FFS keep it locked up when it's not on your hip.

Users who are viewing this thread