CCW on Motorcycle

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
How do you guys CCW while on two-wheels? Looking for suggestions on different methods of carry. I am a long time CCW and have my daily rigs set.

Just bugs me that I can't find something I'm comfortable with on the bike. For reference I ride adventure touring, sportbikes, or supermoto. Geared up most of the time (helmo, jacket -with chest and back protection, and proper riding gloves).

Do you IWB?? OWB? How do you ensure concealment and still maintain reasonable access?

Keep firearm in (removable/lockable) tank bag? Thinking something like GIVI tanklock tank bag with a Crossbreed Pac Mat holster. I get off bike and tank bag comes with me....

I'd, more than likely, purchase a dedicated firearm for motorcycle carry. Most likely an 8-shot revolver in .357 or greater. Extensive practice and training in chosen carry method and firearm go without saying...

Concerned about accessibility with riding gear on, firearm causing more damage to me during a crash, security and concealment while riding (I live in a non-open-carry -liberal/commie-state. Any brandishing and some minivan-driving-soccer-mom will have her way with me).

And not to be a jackass; but if you have an opinion on why someone would want to CCW while on a bike, or in general, please start another thread. Thanks in advance for your respect.

CV355

_
Established Member
It really depends on if you want access to the firearm while on the motorcycle. I always wear gloves, so there's no way I'd be able to grip my normal CCW pistols. The other option is a larger frame pistol but now it becomes harder to conceal. Tank bags work, but I usually just wear a backpack.

I would not recommend IWB or pocket carry while on a motorcycle- obvious mobility reasons aside, if you ever go down it'll cause more damage to you than it is worth.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I carry IWB in my normal position because honestly I won't be able to access it until I'm off the bike. Outside of wearing my thigh rig (which would probably be frowned upon) I just don't see any reasonable spot for me on a sport bike to carry it so I just keep it there like normal. I try to keep my jacket covering it but I also don't worry about it uncovering and revealing that I am carrying. I doubt many people really notice it.

For your situation and what bike you described I would probably be looking into a pouch you could have placed in hands reach with easy access to your pistol.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Wouldn't a revolver be pretty tough to carry?

Why not look at a pocket carry 6-shot firearm?

P238/P938, Ultra carry, LCP, etc.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So I bought the Givi Tanklock. This one: http://a.co/gXpdJK4 (ST602).

I'll use the Crossbreed Pac Mat holser inside the tank bag.

Once I get the bag in-hand I'll figure out the sizing and what I can fit in it with regards to firearm. That 10" barrel S&W 500.... lol

For me; I think the tank bag route gives the most accessibility without sacrificing personal safety in a crash. If I can't access the firearm while on the bike or with my gear on as I get off bike; it is pointless to carry. As I said, I wear a lot of gear that would really inhibit fast and reliable access if I were to IWB or OWB.

Wouldn't a revolver be pretty tough to carry?

Why not look at a pocket carry 6-shot firearm?

P238/P938, Ultra carry, LCP, etc.

One of my two existing CCW would suite this. Problem is I'm concerned about using a Semi-auto in this situation. Simply because of the slide getting caught on gloves or gear and causing a malfunction. Revolver, in this sense, is more reliable; but at the sacrifice of round count.

It's a tough balance between round count and ballistics. A 9mm or .380, even in a +P+, regardless of round count, wouldn't give me a warm fuzzy in several of the scenarios that could arise on two-wheels. I'm also not a fan of safeties on CCW firearms. There is no way I could train, or feel comfortable enough, to manipulate a safety with riding gloves on under duress. Another nod to the revolver.

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
Don’t ride anymore but when I did I rode sport bike (crotch rocket). If I was carrying much more than my I’d and cc, I used a backpack. Didn’t want a tank bag scratching the paint.

Was never comfortable carrying on my waist just cause you’re moving around so much. So for me, it went in the bag. If I wanted it back on my waist, I would slip it on once I got off the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

SHOdown220

Established Member
I carry a XD40SC in a n82 pro holster, excellent retention and is tuckable meaning i can tuck my shirt in between the metal clips that clips over my belt and the holster itself. This way when riding my shirt covers the firearm. The guys who make these holsters are local to me and ride also, we all use the same holster. one of them has been down on the bike with the gun in holster and it still retained unlike the FBI guy dancing at a party. On longer trips its usually placed into my tank bag though.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
So I bought the Givi Tanklock. This one: http://a.co/gXpdJK4 (ST602).

I'll use the Crossbreed Pac Mat holser inside the tank bag.

Once I get the bag in-hand I'll figure out the sizing and what I can fit in it with regards to firearm. That 10" barrel S&W 500.... lol

For me; I think the tank bag route gives the most accessibility without sacrificing personal safety in a crash. If I can't access the firearm while on the bike or with my gear on as I get off bike; it is pointless to carry. As I said, I wear a lot of gear that would really inhibit fast and reliable access if I were to IWB or OWB.

One of my two existing CCW would suite this. Problem is I'm concerned about using a Semi-auto in this situation. Simply because of the slide getting caught on gloves or gear and causing a malfunction. Revolver, in this sense, is more reliable; but at the sacrifice of round count.

It's a tough balance between round count and ballistics. A 9mm or .380, even in a +P+, regardless of round count, wouldn't give me a warm fuzzy in several of the scenarios that could arise on two-wheels. I'm also not a fan of safeties on CCW firearms. There is no way I could train, or feel comfortable enough, to manipulate a safety with riding gloves on under duress. Another nod to the revolver.

You should just go shoot with your riding gloves and see if you run across any issues. It would be good to shoot with them anyways.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You should just go shoot with your riding gloves and see if you run across any issues. It would be good to shoot with them anyways.

That is definitely the plan. My local shop has a very large rental inventory at their indoor range. I plan on testing several firearms to see if they fit the bill. I don't mind increasing head-count in the ol' safe; but I want to make sure I make the right choice.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I OWB carry, as does my girl.

Hard to conceal....but no one ****s with you on the bike if you've got a .40 or .45 staring at them.

And for some reason I thought this thread was about wheels.

Here we can open carry and I have been thinking about an OWB for riding....normally I wouldn't, but I kinda want the numbnuts mother****ers on the road to see it.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Here we can open carry and I have been thinking about an OWB for riding....normally I wouldn't, but I kinda want the numbnuts mother****ers on the road to see it.

Normally I'm not a fan of open carry. Don't want to draw attention to myself. But on a bike?? Around here?? Yeah, that would stop, or at least make them think twice, about screwing with you. I'd fully support open carry on a bike. Too many liberal cucks around here for that.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Marengo guns by chance? :)

No. I hadn't heard of that place until I just googled it. Certainly worth a stop. Thank you.

Unfortunately my local gun shop are a bunch of dicks. I usually window shop then go online to buy. They are one of the biggest shops in Will County. I'd prefer to not give them any free advertising. lol.

Zemedici

Established Member

Tanya does that occasionally as well, as she'll ride in a T shirt. Just put int in her rear waistband.

I wear a jacket 100% of the time, so mine's not visible.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
I think open carry is more detrimental than beneficial in some ways. You're basically drawing attention to yourself.

Conceal carry doesn't necessarily guarantee you anymore safety. We had a girl in our class that rides and was carrying concealed and she got attacked on her bike in a road rage incident. The guy pushed her off her bike and had her on her knees with her bike leaning on her and her head pinned against a barrier as he tried to choke her out with her own helmet. She struggled to fumble around for her pistol inside of her jacket but she finally got it out, reached up, pressed it against the guy, and blasted him through the heart and killing him. She was obviously cleared of wrongdoing but there was a lot wrong with the whole situation. After talking to her and hearing her story though, you should definitely consider something very accessible because you can easily be blindsided by an attack and be forced into a disadvantageous position where you need quick access to your firearm.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Conceal carry doesn't necessarily guarantee you anymore safety. We had a girl in our class that rides and was carrying concealed and she got attacked on her bike in a road rage incident. The guy pushed her off her bike and had her on her knees with her bike leaning on her and her head pinned against a barrier as he tried to choke her out with her own helmet. She struggled to fumble around for her pistol inside of her jacket but she finally got it out, reached up, pressed it against the guy, and blasted him through the heart and killing him. She was obviously cleared of wrongdoing but there was a lot wrong with the whole situation. After talking to her and hearing her story though, you should definitely consider something very accessible because you can easily be blindsided by an attack and be forced into a disadvantageous position where you need quick access to your firearm.

It's stories like this that scare the shit out of me. You can't trust some humans on the road anymore. They are dangerous and unpredictable monsters capable of terrible things with little provocation.

Carry often...

Users who are viewing this thread