Caught doing 171 MPH

2Rare

Against All Odds
Established Member
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016/04/12/minnesota-speeder-caught-doing-171-mph-on-highway-61/

I don't know how I missed this story on the news here in the TC Metro, BUT let's be honest. If you were the driver in the Camaro, would you have pulled over as he did? LEO had no chance of catching up when he clocked him in on the radar while sitting idle on the side of the road. I know you CAN'T out-run the radio nor the chopper, but would you risk all those fines for a short thrill? I would what I would have done ;-)

PS, I wouldn't be driving any Camaro's to begin w/ unless it was the 67-69 yrs. :rockon:

jbs$

Established Member
I wonder how many on this site, in a moment of youthful exuberance over a half of a mile or so, have briefly hit 170 or better and look at this with the thought, 'There but for the grace of God go I".

o2gt

Established Member
I would have stopped. the odds our your going to get caught. you have a better chance of cutting an ok deal if you stop.

jordanair45

Established Member
Ya, would have slowed down for sure. Unless there was another reason as to why I shouldn't....

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
Several years ago when I was still in high school, a friend of mine was clocked doing 180mph at 3am in his built 300zxtt (it was his college project he built in auto tech class that he sunk a lot of time and money into) and he never stopped. Well he got away that night and hid the car at a friends for a week but as soon as he thought the coast was clear and picked the car up, a cop saw him, pulled him over, and arrested him. It turned out the original cop that clocked him just so happened to own a 300zx when he was younger so he immediately recognized the tail lights that night and therefore all of the local police knew what kind of car to look for. Crazy coincidence. They basically threw the book at my friend and gave him the ultimatum of either going to jail for two years, or letting them auction the car off and put him on probation for two years so of course he chose that.

We don't hardly ever talk about it because when it happened, I was still just friends with the car people that eventually introduced me to him, but every once in awhile he talks about how much he misses it and all the years he went through with it. Rebuilding the engine (three times lol), bigger turbos, tuning, suspension, etc etc. All that sentimental value basically taken away because of one stupid decision. And he's one of the nicest, most proper dudes I've ever met so it sucks to see someone like that down over a car that they really loved.

Basically what I'm getting at is that I use to do stupid stuff like that too but after knowing what happened to him, it's just not worth it to me anymore. And not only because of the legal side of it but because of how dangerous it is. I imagine if he had stopped like this guy in the Camaro did, maybe just maybe he would still have that car

Last edited:

1o1proof

Established Member
I wonder how many on this site, in a moment of youthful exuberance over a half of a mile or so, have briefly hit 170 or better and look at this with the thought, 'There but for the grace of God go I".

I'm old, and no cars in my youth stood a chance of going 170, let alone in a half mile. :shrug:

jbs$

Established Member
It is not that hard if you start the short run already running 75 or so. A 13 - 14 Shelby, a hot vette or a Hellcat will get you there.

snakedoctor

Established Member
My last speeding ticket was in Dothan Alabama in 1997 coming back from Panama city. I was in my 91 Camaro that my dad had built the motor for, racing a LT1 Camaro. I was doing 135 in a 65 and when the cop pulled beside me and waved me down I couldn't breath. Luckily he only gave both of us a ticket for 15 over and it scared me so bad that, that was the last speeding ticket I have ever had. We all do stupid things when we are young

Rainmaker

2highPSI
Established Member
You know, the last time I did a top speed run was around 2 AM on the I-15 South just south of Temecula and north of Escondido. I was around 168 MPH and my head gasket blew. White steam and the smell of coolant everywhere. Got to the side of the road and there was coolant coming out the tailpipes. Pretty scary to have that happen at top speed

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
Last year I guy I know was stop doing 150 plus.By the time they caught up to him 3 cop cars were involved.One of the cops must have been part of the drag race crowd because they should have arrested him right on the spot.They cited him but let him go.He did not loose his license.He had some OJ Simpson luck for sure.

11sec Guy

Established Member
careless driving is getting off pretty easy for doing 100mph over the speed limit. I just got a reckless driving ticket for doing a small wheelie down a side street on my new dirtbike. I have a court date next month, hopefully it gets reduced

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
careless driving is getting off pretty easy for doing 100mph over the speed limit. I just got a reckless driving ticket for doing a small wheelie down a side street on my new dirtbike. I have a court date next month, hopefully it gets reduced

That's what I thought as well.

Guess it'll hurt more if they actually impose the maximum penalties for careless though.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Definitely couldnt have done that in a mustang, would have ended up smashing into an innocent crowd way before hiting 170....

Users who are viewing this thread