Cats or no Cats ????

GT stanger

Earnin' 'N Burnin'
Established Member
if I'm keeping my s-197 all natural, and really just looking for low end power, should i do a x pipe with cats or no cats?

THE_STIG

Established Member
IIRC removing the cats builds high RPM power but you loose power in the lower RPMS. If someone else could chime in.....

silverstang23

Established Member
i would say not cats. If you are taking in enough air up front then opening up the back will result in a power gain. It must be tuned properly though

Oman_cobra

Established Member
keep in mind it'll be very raspy.. i removed the cats before doing the full exhaust setup, & it was very raspy & load..

thats why im with cats in my full exhaust setup, & never been happier :D

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
I ran longtubes & off-road H-pipe with factory catback on my 06 GT and LOVED it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Idkr6E6MLY"]YouTube - 06 Mustang GT with JBA longtube headers, off-road H-pipe, & stock mufflers[/ame]

...(plenty of other videos on my profile was well)...

I will say this though... removing the cats on the 3V really makes them alot louder. If you have an aftermarket catback or plan on going to an aftermarket catback, then you may want to keep the cats. I eventually put on a Flowmaster catback with my longtubes & no-cat exhaust and it was OBNOXIOUS. I liked it much better with no cats & stock mufflers.

The way I saw it... no cats + stock mufflers = more power than cats + aftermarket mufflers.

SKEETER_SVT01

Living it up
Established Member
i went through 2 sets of Bassani cats in less then 6 months. Kept blowing them out. Boost added that though. If your staying lower hp. cats will be fine but if u want some higher hp, get rid of them.

351inside

Established Member
i used to have the pypes offroad x with the stock mufflers sounded pretty good actually, i put the pypes muffler deletes, sounds freaking loud i like it dough lol

Users who are viewing this thread