catch can, separator, or breathers?

Voltwings

Established Member
a 2.3L should have no problems spooling a 35R lol unless your head doesn't flow worth a fk.

Point being its a large enough turbo to actually "lag" and take some spool time. When the stock turbo can hit 30 psi at 2250 rpms, you notice it going to a turbo that takes 3500 give or take to do the same ;)

Also, the main point was the blow by's impact on spool, not the spool in and of itself. I've seen this on a few big turbo cars i've tuned, where spool decreased with vacuum applied to the crankcase. Granted, these were all 4 cylinders with 600-700 whp capable turbos, so "getting up there," in size.

Last edited:

D.T.R

Established Member
Point being its a large enough turbo to actually "lag" and take some spool time. When the stock turbo can hit 30 psi at 2250 rpms, you notice it going to a turbo that takes 3500 give or take to do the same ;)

Also, the main point was the blow by's impact on spool, not the spool in and of itself. I've seen this on a few big turbo cars i've tuned, where spool decreased with vacuum applied to the crankcase. Granted, these were all 4 cylinders with 600-700 whp capable turbos, so "getting up there," in size.

Now, if you're talking about a vacuum pump... YES. I can see that being benefitial... but I am not sure that using a catch can with a breather/filter on it is going to help spool.

Voltwings

Established Member
No, i'm talking about applying vacuum, and the turbo essentially is a vacuum pump (for this case). We would route the turbo inlet pipes to pull vacuum on the crankcase.

Its a pretty nifty system i designed that T'd into the stock system so you could run a sealed catch can between the intake manifold and crankcase to filter contaminents out for daily driving. Then there would be a check valve when the IM experienced positive pressure, which would block off the factory routing, open a second check valve and now allow the turbo inlet to pull vacuum on the crankcase during boost.

Basically i didnt want to interrupt the factory flow of fresh air / ventellation through the crankcase, so we designed our system to work around it.

Last edited:

Eric@jpc

Established Member
we have tested his on many many levels. You have to remember we are heads up racers at heart. So anything that will help you win a race we are very interested it.

In my opinion at 800 hp to the wheels these cars dont have enough breather on them period. I have personally taken old 5.0s apart to see the side with a breather with in much better shape the the side with out. I have never tested "spooling" with and with out breathers but i guarantee you engine will love you more if you have less pressure in your crank case. Not to mention you are keeping all oil vapor out of your intake track, For those who dont know Oil will reduce your octane rating.

when the piston drops to BTDC and you have 0 pressure in behind your piston there is less of a chance of contaminating your gas charge with oil coming up through the rings.

Ultimately the best way to have an engine work is with a Vac pump. because everything moves easier with vac

NOW since we have determined Vacuum is the best you guys realize that you engine makes no vacuum at WOT right? so all your doing is sucking in oil vapor at idle and cruise. Wot has 0 inches unless you have a restriction some where and then you might have 1-3 inches at best.

hope this helps

Voltwings

Established Member
I guess since my experience comes from turbo 4's where we use the turbo for vacuum i'm not quite understanding this. If the engine is essentially an air pump, and air is being rushed into the engine, how is there not a vacuum at WOT?

Edit: well, did some poking around on google... not sure i can fully wrap my head around the physics just yet, but somehow there doesnt appear to be any vacuum at WOT...

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
I guess since my experience comes from turbo 4's where we use the turbo for vacuum i'm not quite understanding this. If the engine is essentially an air pump, and air is being rushed into the engine, how is there not a vacuum at WOT?

Edit: well, did some poking around on google... not sure i can fully wrap my head around the physics just yet, but somehow there doesnt appear to be any vacuum at WOT...

If you've got a car with vacuum at WOT there's a restriction in your intake setup.

Voltwings

Established Member
Right, we've established that, i'm just physically not understanding the principle.

The engine is an air pump, at idle and low throttle we see vacuum because the piston travels to BDC, creates a low pressure zone (relative to atmospheric), and air is rushed in; hence, a vacuum. Why does this change at WOT, is air still not rushing in? Basically what causes the pressure differential to disappear?

Bullitt 3309

Established Member
do u have any engine bay pics of it installed?

oilb.jpg

CSG

Established Member
It does not disappear, It is just so small that it is negligible. If you add more restriction you will see more. Seeing 1" of Vac is not out of the ordinary.

Eric@jpc

Established Member
It does not disappear, It is just so small that it is negligible. If you add more restriction you will see more. Seeing 1" of Vac is not out of the ordinary.

right but the whole goal is to have no restriction so ideally you want to be as close to 0 as possible

Users who are viewing this thread