catch can or pcv pre-filter?

Bad99SVT

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
Here is a pic of my setup...moroso catch can and lines. works great.
1000625.jpg

Taz

Established Member
Here are a few references for those of you who haven't yet figured Google out:

PCV Valve: Positive Crankshaft Ventilation Valve: Ventilation System: PCV System: Breather Tube: Emission Control

Jeep CJ-7 PCV System Not Working

PCV System - A Breath of Fresh Air

And for those of you who have a tough time with the BIG words, like “breather,” here’s a VIDEO presentation of the PCV system …

YouTube PCV System Presentation

Note that a key aspect of the PCV sytem's operation is the intake of fresh, METERED air. That comes from the hose on the passenger side cam cover through what is referred to in the docs as the BREATHER TUBE.

If you stick an open catch tank, as above, or a couple of breathers on the car, you're opening the system to UNMETERED AIR. This changes the A/F ratio because the PCM doesn't know its there, so it doesn't add fuel for it.

:bored:

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
JESUS H. CHRIST! When did this forum become the domicile of the short bus crowd???

Taz is near the breaking point :lol: Your drawing and explanation would suggest everything works in a static condition of high vacuum which isn't when there is a problem. What about at WOT when there isn't any vacuum or under boost? What happens to the blow by and accompanying oil mist then? In the end, however you want to look at this issue of oil in the intake the solution is the same, run a filter(s) or a catch can from both VC's.

Taz

Established Member
JESUS H. CHRIST! When did this forum become the domicile of the short bus crowd???

Taz is near the breaking point :lol: Your drawing and explanation would suggest everything works in a static condition of high vacuum which isn't when there is a problem. What about at WOT when there isn't any vacuum or under boost? What happens to the blow by and accompanying oil mist then? In the end, however you want to look at this issue of oil in the intake the solution is the same, run a filter(s) or a catch can from both VC's.

It's a STANDARD diagram of the operation of a PCV system GEORGE! I didn't just cook it up all by myself.

Say, here's an idea, :idea:

Why don't you READ the docs? Here's an even BETTER idea. Find me one goddamned piece of reference material to support YOUR suggestion.

EVERYONE in the automotive community is WRONG except YOU and the other retards on this forum?

Whatever. I'm not going to argue with you, because you'll just drag me down to your level and beat me to death with your STUPIDITY.

:nonono:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Quote "At full throttle, there is nearly zero vacuum. At this point the PCV valve is nearly useless, and most combustion gases escape via the "breather tube" where they are then drawn in to the engine's intake manifold anyway."

Thanks for posting that up and confirming what I already knew about the PCV.

Here's my home built setup on my SCCA race car.

Pass side valve cover

footballpractice005.jpg

Driver side valve cover

footballpractice006.jpg

My cheap ass catch can that works!!!

footballpractice007.jpg

footballpractice008.jpg

01yellercobra

Established Member
It's funny when people get upset over other people's experiences. Sorry that my experiences don't match up with the only way things are supposed to work. I have had both set ups. I have datalogged. I didn't need to adjust my A/F when switching from a sealed PCV system to open breathers.

Taz

Established Member
It's funny when people get upset over other people's experiences. Sorry that my experiences don't match up with the only way things are supposed to work. I have had both set ups. I have datalogged. I didn't need to adjust my A/F when switching from a sealed PCV system to open breathers.

How lovely for you. Can you bend spoons with your mind too? Now, that woud be impressive. My datalogs and everyone else's that I have seen do NOT correspond with your experience, so I should rely on your report based on ... ?

For those who missed it earlier, I said I have been running the setup depicted in the sketch I provided AT MODERATE BOOST LEVELS FOR 7 YEARS, and it has worked perfectly.

If my breather had been venting into my inlet tube, there would be droplets on my throttle plate. And if that ever happened, I'd change the setup for sure, because I don't want any oil build-up on my intercooler.

The car sees boost every time I drive it, and I drive it plenty hard on the road course, but There has never been ANY BLOWBY on my throttle plate or anywhere inside my inlet tube. Seven years, bone dry.

:rolleyes:

sleepin 4.6

Established Member
WoW.....this thread is beating the dead horse.

btw if your afraid that a homemade catch can looks to ghetto for you then just get a universal one off ebay for 20 bucks.

Last edited:

99cobra09

"Stock Car"
Established Member
I run a breather on the passenger side head and a LIIGHTNING PCV VALVE on the drivers with a oil separator and have no problems now. Before i had the same set up except a regular PCV valve which dosen't have a check valve inside, and the lighting PCV valve does, used in boosted applications.

Silver03Termi

Established Member
The drawing is wrong. The pass side doesn't ingest any incoming air. Both banks push air out via blowby, the blowby is air already measured by the MAF. The pass side puts the blowby back into the intake tract directly, usually not too much oil because the hose is at the front of the VC and less subject to oil slosh. The DR side is correct. Either filters on both or direct both to a catch can, the solution is up to you.

this guy is right. The test is simple, and listed below.

:read::read::read::read:

Air is DRAWN out through the PCV valve into the intake by VACUUM. When there's no vacuum there's no flow out of the valve because nothing is PULLING it out.

The air that is pulled out of the crankcase through the PCV has to be REPLACED. That's what the hose to the other cam cover DOWNSTREAM of the MAF meter is for.

NOTHING should be coming out of that hose back into the intake. THAT'S WHY there's no CHECK VALVE on that side.

If you're FORCING anything out either side, your motor is F'd up.

EVERY reference source you can find for the PCV will describe it the SAME WAY, because THAT'S how it works.

Sorry partner, you're a little off. Yes the vacuum helps pull the air out of the head, on both sides. The check valve is in place because the line coming out of the bottom of lower manifold sees boost. The "idea" of the check valve is to keep the blower from pressurizing the head. Those check valves fail, and they allow air to pass both ways, even out of the box. Buy a new one if you doubt me. If you pull the the elbow off of both sides, you can feel the air being pushed out of the head, even at idle. The vacuum is only part of the equation. Blow by, like stated previously, is a big factor.

Pull your blower off and I bet you will find a little bit of oil in the elbow. If you are so sure about the way the system flows, let me send you a check valve with a cracking pressure<1psi to put in. Watch what happens.

Last edited:

Silver03Termi

Established Member
How lovely for you. Can you bend spoons with your mind too? Now, that woud be impressive. My datalogs and everyone else's that I have seen do NOT correspond with your experience, so I should rely on your report based on ... ?

For those who missed it earlier, I said I have been running the setup depicted in the sketch I provided AT MODERATE BOOST LEVELS FOR 7 YEARS, and it has worked perfectly.

If my breather had been venting into my inlet tube, there would be droplets on my throttle plate. And if that ever happened, I'd change the setup for sure, because I don't want any oil build-up on my intercooler.

The car sees boost every time I drive it, and I drive it plenty hard on the road course, but There has never been ANY BLOWBY on my throttle plate or anywhere inside my inlet tube. Seven years, bone dry.

this doesnt mean that you still dont have air coming out of your head, carrying oil down stream. It jsut means that it hasnt collected in those locations. Run a catch can on both sides for a while. You'll be surprised at what you get.

Taz

Established Member
Sorry partner, you're a little off. Yes the vacuum helps pull the air out of the head, on both sides. The check valve is in place because the line coming out of the bottom of lower manifold sees boost.

I believe you are the one who is a bit off.

1. The PCV line goes into the UPPER Intake, NOT the lower, which on a PD application does NOT see any boost, and is typically under slight vacuum all the time due to intake restrictions, EVEN UNDER WOT.

2. New Edge Cobras were equipped from the factory with check valve PCV’s. And they produced NO boost, so the factory installed a check valve because of the BOOST the car wasn't seeing?

The "idea" of the check valve is to keep the blower from pressurizing the head.

3. That's nonsense. See above.

Those check valves fail, and they allow air to pass both ways, even out of the box. Buy a new one if you doubt me.

4. Gee, parts fail, what a revelation. I have an inline catch tank on the driver side, so what’s your point?

If you pull the the elbow off of both sides, you can feel the air being pushed out of the head, even at idle. The vacuum is only part of the equation. Blow by, like stated previously, is a big factor.

5. I have done so, and no, I cannot feel any air being PUSHED out of my heads. As I stated earlier, if air or anything else is being PUSHED out of your heads, your motor is in serious need of a rebuild. Probably because the last nimrod who owned it was as knowledgeable as you about engines.

Pull your blower off and I bet you will find a little bit of oil in the elbow. If you are so sure about the way the system flows, let me send you a check valve with a cracking pressure<1psi to put in. Watch what happens.

6. See # 1 above.

Let me run this down for you ONE MORE TIME:

I don’t have any oil being sucked into the UPPER intake under vacuum (or forced in under pressure - LOL), because I have a SEALED catch tank on the driver side that traps all the blowby goop that makes it past the valve. It’s DRY on that side.

I have NO check valve on the passenger side, and my inlet tube and throttle body have been BONE DRY since I bought the car new in ’01. No droplets when it was N/A and none with a PD blower. This is strong EVIDENCE that no blowby is being PUSHED out the passenger side cam cover.

Esta claro?

I have been wrenching on cars since LONG before you were even a gleam in your father’s eye. Mostly domestics, but a few of the Italian, German and Swedish Euro-trash cars, as well. I haven’t lost a patient yet, so I’m fairly confident that I know my way around an engine bay and how Tab A inserts into Slot B.

All this crap was asked and answered and hashed out YEARS ago. I’ve been around this forum since my car was new, because back then, there was actually some useful information being exchanged, instead of a bunch of conjecture and ridiculous fantasy. Why don’t you noobs do a little RESEARCH before you start spouting off about how things are? And stop spreading BAD information.

this doesnt mean that you still dont have air coming out of your head, carrying oil down stream. It jsut means that it hasnt collected in those locations. Run a catch can on both sides for a while. You'll be surprised at what you get.

WHAT??? You said WHAT? :??: That is truly one of the more absurd statements in this entire thread. If blowby is getting into your inlet tube from the passenger side head, you WILL see it on the inside of the tube and in the throttle body. Period.

Mine is bone dry over there, so I'd want to install a catch can on that side to catch the oil mist that I'm NOT getting, right?

01yellercobra

Established Member

Does it really make you feel that much better to insult people? You talk about us bringing you down, but it's you coming off like a jack ass. You're begining to sound like Quadcammer when he was losing interest in his car. If you don't like the people, stop coming around. Pretty simple.

I'm done with this. Have fun Taz.

Last edited:

Taz

Established Member
Does it really make you feel that much better to insult people? You talk about us bringing you down, but it's you coming off like a jack ass. You're begining to sound like Quadcammer when he was losing interest in his car. If you don't like the people, stop coming around. Pretty simple.

I'm done with this. Have fun Taz.

I joined this forum long before you, so let's play it this way: (1) either quit broadcasting bad information, or go find a board where no one will call you out on it, and (2) stop trying so hard to prove how ignorant you are. How's that?

Look back at my first post in this thread. It was plenty civil. Then, little sharp-toothed nasties like you started nipping at my heels. I'd much rather keep it sociable, but I won't put up with bad information.

Oh, and STOP PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH!

:fm:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I didnt really think my setup was ghetto, I dont expect anyone to copy it on a street car with looks being important, but for something that's purely functional with a strong nod towards being as light as possible my setup accomplishes both.

My catch can setup shows that a functional catch can, can be made for very little money and it will work just as well as the $100 setups.

sleepin 4.6

Established Member
I didnt really think my setup was ghetto, I dont expect anyone to copy it on a street car with looks being important, but for something that's purely functional with a strong nod towards being as light as possible my setup accomplishes both.

My catch can setup shows that a functional catch can, can be made for very little money and it will work just as well as the $100 setups.

I wasn't saying yours was, I was just referencing it to if it was to him. I understand what you meant.

Silver03Termi

Established Member
I believe you are the one who is a bit off.

1. The PCV line goes into the UPPER Intake, NOT the lower, which on a PD application does NOT see any boost, and is typically under slight vacuum all the time due to intake restrictions, EVEN UNDER WOT.

2. New Edge Cobras were equipped from the factory with check valve PCV’s. And they produced NO boost, so the factory installed a check valve because of the BOOST the car wasn't seeing?

3. That's nonsense. See above.

4. Gee, parts fail, what a revelation. I have an inline catch tank on the driver side, so what’s your point?

5. I have done so, and no, I cannot feel any air being PUSHED out of my heads. As I stated earlier, if air or anything else is being PUSHED out of your heads, your motor is in serious need of a rebuild. Probably because the last nimrod who owned it was as knowledgeable as you about engines.

6. See # 1 above.

Let me run this down for you ONE MORE TIME:

I don’t have any oil being sucked into the UPPER intake under vacuum (or forced in under pressure - LOL), because I have a SEALED catch tank on the driver side that traps all the blowby goop that makes it past the valve. It’s DRY on that side.

I have NO check valve on the passenger side, and my inlet tube and throttle body have been BONE DRY since I bought the car new in ’01. No droplets when it was N/A and none with a PD blower. This is strong EVIDENCE that no blowby is being PUSHED out the passenger side cam cover.

Esta claro?

I have been wrenching on cars since LONG before you were even a gleam in your father’s eye. Mostly domestics, but a few of the Italian, German and Swedish Euro-trash cars, as well. I haven’t lost a patient yet, so I’m fairly confident that I know my way around an engine bay and how Tab A inserts into Slot B.

All this crap was asked and answered and hashed out YEARS ago. I’ve been around this forum since my car was new, because back then, there was actually some useful information being exchanged, instead of a bunch of conjecture and ridiculous fantasy. Why don’t you noobs do a little RESEARCH before you start spouting off about how things are? And stop spreading BAD information.

WHAT??? You said WHAT? :??: That is truly one of the more absurd statements in this entire thread. If blowby is getting into your inlet tube from the passenger side head, you WILL see it on the inside of the tube and in the throttle body. Period.

Mine is bone dry over there, so I'd want to install a catch can on that side to catch the oil mist that I'm NOT getting, right?

1. Not on a terminator. There is a line that comes from the bottom of the lower manifold that goes into a "T" with the back of the blower and the line from the driver side head. The lower manifold sees boost, guess what, that means if the check valve leaks, which most of them DO OUT OF THE BOX, then the head sees boost as well.

2. Why install a check valve at all??? IF your "theory" on how a PCV system works, there would be no need for a check valve. Like I said earlier, if you are SO sure the system FLOWS the way it is designed, let me send you some check valves that WILL work the way they are designed so you can put them on your car.

4. I was referring to new parts.

5. Simple laws of thermo dynamics dictate that the hot air in the head, even if heated by ambient engine temps, will move to the cooler air out side of the valve covers.

6. Your lower manifold is different. Noob. One look at the pcv system on a terminator and you would see why the driver side head sees boost pressure, when the check valve fails.

Congratulations on being a mechanic. Let the engineers continue to hash this out and you keep turning wrenches.

Silver03Termi

Established Member
One last thought:

This board's Owner/Admin advocates exactly the same style setup that I do.

CATCH TANK ADVICE FROM SID 297

Why don't you little fellers go tell Sid how wrong he is.

:rollseyes

1. Sid never mentioned "Taz knows what he is talking about", AND, THAT THREAD IS A SALES PITCH.
2. This is on a N/A '11 GT, not an 03 Cobra, which is what I've been referencing.
3. No one ever said you are running the wrong set up.
4.There isnt a positive pressure being placed on the head, so one catch can may work perfectly fine on this car. Also, the amount of oil coming out of the head has a lot to do with the flow of the oil to the head. If the head gets excess oil, you'll have more coming out. It is that simple.
5. OP, you'll probably be fine with one catch can. If you ever find yourself with a terminator, run 2, or eliminate the lower manifold hose that T's into the back of the blower the driver side head.

Last edited:

Silver03Termi

Established Member
I joined this forum long before you, so let's play it this way: (1) either quit broadcasting bad information, or go find a board where no one will call you out on it, and (2) stop trying so hard to prove how ignorant you are. How's that?

Look back at my first post in this thread. It was plenty civil. Then, little sharp-toothed nasties like you started nipping at my heels. I'd much rather keep it sociable, but I won't put up with bad information.

Oh, and STOP PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH!

:fm:

Since when did being a board member longer than someone make your statements right??

(2) You should practice what you preach.

Looking at your FIRST response to gmsux below, I'd say you were pretty much a dick to him right away.

The drawing is wrong. The pass side doesn't ingest any incoming air. Both banks push air out via blowby, the blowby is air already measured by the MAF. The pass side puts the blowby back into the intake tract directly, usually not too much oil because the hose is at the front of the VC and less subject to oil slosh. The DR side is correct. Either filters on both or direct both to a catch can, the solution is up to you.

:read::read::read::read:

Air is DRAWN out through the PCV valve into the intake by VACUUM. When there's no vacuum there's no flow out of the valve because nothing is PULLING it out.

The air that is pulled out of the crankcase through the PCV has to be REPLACED. That's what the hose to the other cam cover DOWNSTREAM of the MAF meter is for.

NOTHING should be coming out of that hose back into the intake. THAT'S WHY there's no CHECK VALVE on that side.

If you're FORCING anything out either side, your motor is F'd up.

EVERY reference source you can find for the PCV system will describe it the SAME WAY, because THAT'S how it works.

Heat will certainly push air. Keep turning wrenches.

If you're forcing air out of either side, that means the system isn't working the way it is designed to, there is excess oil in the engine, or the motor is F'd up. There is more than one explanation. You'd be wrong to assume one with out investigating the others.

Just because something is designed one way, doesnt mean that it actually works that way. Do you think that automobile engineers infallible?? Wasn't the awesome 01 cobra you have subject to a recall, that eventually cancelled 02 production because the car didnt make the power it was DESIGNED to make????

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread