catch can or pcv pre-filter?

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I made my own catch can setup for my race car for very cheap. The only way to ensure that no oil vapor gets back to the intake tract is to delete the PCV.

AutoZone sells PCV elbows for Fords. I used two of them, one for the pass side and one for the driver side. I also picked up a 1/2" T fitting. They also sell the cheap import style breather filters, I used one of these. I also purchased a valve cover grommet in the help section to help fit the cheap breather filter into the top of the catch can snug.

You'll need a small aluminum water bottle, and a 1/2" barbed pipe fitting and several feet of 1/2" oil cooler hose. Heater hose wont work, the oil will break the heater hose down.

I drilled a 7/16" hole in the water bottle and threaded the barbed pipe fitting into the bottle. Route the hose under the intake and install the T fitting, the other hose is routed from the driver side valve cover. The home built catch can is then installed behind the pass side strut tower.

For good measure I used some steel wool and stuffed it inside the can to help catch the vapor and trap it inside the bottle. Total cost was <$20

I'll have to take some pics and post them up.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Go to Home Depot or Lowes and pick up a water filter for an air compressor. Install it in the line between the PCV valve and intake on the passenger side.

jdh1213

2.8 Kenne Bell
Established Member
Have the prefilter on the passenger side and catch can on the drivers side. Both JLT, but we have emissions here. Otherwise I would go catch can on drivers side and open filter on the passenger side. Just my 2 cents.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
So a pre-filter doesnt catch anything but recirculates it right?

Silver03Termi

Established Member
buy the water separators (for air compressors) from lowes or home depot. they work. I run one on each side, and they both catch oil. You have to modify them a little bit. Take the "stone" out and wrap a little bit of screen or other media around the stem to provie the oil something to cling onto as it passes through. The "idea" is that air flows in the passenger side head, and out the driver side head. The reality is that it flows out of both heads, especially once you crank up the boost. Even at idle they both push air out. You can pull the little elbow out and see for yourself. Since both push air out, I run catch cans on both.

Taz

Established Member
The PCV system works like this ...

pcv_syst.jpg

Installation of a sealed catch tank (not the open style with a filter on top) as shown in this diagram will prevent crap from getting into your intake and won't dick with your A/F ratio like breathers will.

You can pick up a tank cheap on eBay, and if you get one large enough - say 500 ml or more - you'll only need to empty it when you change your oil.

I've been running this system for 7 years with a moderate boost application, and it works.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Breathers don't dick with your A/F. I've run the stock set up and the breathers and never had an issue with my A/F changing between the set ups.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Yeah, RIIIIIIIIIGHT. :rolleyes: :dw: :nonono:

If you run one breather and seal the other side, yes, it can mess with the A/F. But if you run two breathers it will be fine.

But then what do I know? I've only done all the work on my car including tuning it. :rollseyes

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
The drawing is wrong. The pass side doesn't ingest any incoming air. Both banks push air out via blowby, the blowby is air already measured by the MAF. The pass side puts the blowby back into the intake tract directly, usually not too much oil because the hose is at the front of the VC and less subject to oil slosh. The DR side is correct. Either filters on both or direct both to a catch can, the solution is up to you.

The PCV system works like this ...

pcv_syst.jpg

Installation of a sealed catch tank (not the open style with a filter on top) as shown in this diagram will prevent crap from getting into your intake and won't dick with your A/F ratio like breathers will.

You can pick up a tank cheap on eBay, and if you get one large enough - say 500 ml or more - you'll only need to empty it when you change your oil.

I've been running this system for 7 years with a moderate boost application, and it works.

Taz

Established Member
If you run one breather and seal the other side, yes, it can mess with the A/F. But if you run two breathers it will be fine.

But then what do I know? I've only done all the work on my car including tuning it. :rollseyes

Datalog it both ways in open loop mode, and you'll see the difference. Then, maybe you'll know what you don't know.

:loser:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Datalog it both ways in open loop mode, and you'll see the difference. Then, maybe you'll know what you don't know.

:loser:

I have datalogged it both ways. And guess what, nothing changed. But you apparently know everything about everyone's set up.

Taz

Established Member
The drawing is wrong. The pass side doesn't ingest any incoming air. Both banks push air out via blowby, the blowby is air already measured by the MAF. The pass side puts the blowby back into the intake tract directly, usually not too much oil because the hose is at the front of the VC and less subject to oil slosh. The DR side is correct. Either filters on both or direct both to a catch can, the solution is up to you.

JESUS H. CHRIST! When did this forum become the domicile of the short bus crowd???

:read::read::read::read:

Air is DRAWN out through the PCV valve into the intake by VACUUM. When there's no vacuum there's no flow out of the valve because nothing is PULLING it out.

The air that is pulled out of the crankcase through the PCV has to be REPLACED. That's what the hose to the other cam cover DOWNSTREAM of the MAF meter is for.

NOTHING should be coming out of that hose back into the intake. THAT'S WHY there's no CHECK VALVE on that side.

If you're FORCING anything out either side, your motor is F'd up.

EVERY reference source you can find for the PCV system will describe it the SAME WAY, because THAT'S how it works.

:rolleyes:

Taz

Established Member
I have datalogged it both ways. And guess what, nothing changed. But you apparently know everything about everyone's set up.

Congratulations BOB! That makes you the ONLY person in the entire known universe who has accomplished that.

You have managed to defy the laws of physics.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Users who are viewing this thread