Catch Can Install... How To...

snakebite72

Established Member
Hey guys... I finally had some spare time to install my catch can set up, so far i have done two, one on my boys Procharged 5.0 and on my own car, here is a write up on the install including all the parts needed to do so...

OK... Here we go...

Parts List
1. Peterson Fluid System can # 08-0400
2. AN Male Reducer -12 to -8 (Fragola # 491919) x2
3. -8 Push Lite hose ends (Fragola # 200108BL) x2
4. about 8 feet of push lock hose (Fragola 8000)
5. 1 inch Heat Shrink x4

You will also need a drill and a Dremel , You can get creative with the set up since fittings come in different colors also try to stay away from stainless steel lines they are like sand paper and will scratch anything that it rubs against.

Here is the box of goodies...
DSC_0031_zps3d48a6af.jpg

Here is my friends Procharged 5.0 before the install... i will be posting pics of both cars since i have pics on both of the same install.
20130103_104400_zps47cfee94.jpg

Start by removing the battery and the tray, this will allow you to pull the sound mat forward so you can actually see where you are going to drill the holes for the catch can bracket.
DSC_0029_zps5e7cc384.jpg

Here is the designated area fo the can, take your time here and make sure it clears the battery and the eng as well.
DSC_0032_zps4c50c2f7.jpg

Once we had the spot i cut a piece out for the bracket, i did not do this on my car cuz i used some spacers that i got at ACE hardware that you will see later...
DSC_0035_zps1c77040d.jpg

Now get your bracket and mark the holes for drilling and bolt down your bracket, you can lift the plastic cover right under the passengers side wiper to gain access to the bolts you will use to bolt down the bracket.
DSC_0036_zpsb556fff0.jpg

DSC_0037_zps14c8d76f.jpg

Install the -12 to -8 male reducers on your catch can... go ahead and install your catch can, I am sure you want to see how it looks...lol.
DSC_0040_zps0a7cb84b.jpg

You will need to remove these from your stock plastic hoses, use a blade and cut the hose till it releases, once you have them out you will need to shave the parts as shown it will make your life easier... trust me.
20130110_153817_zps4b8aefab.jpg

Now you are ready to make your hoses, install the push-lok -8 straight fitting on the hose end and route the hose behind the engine from the can (install on can hand tight) measure and cut to the desired length, take your time here, after you got the hose measured and cut... install the stock 90 degree plastic hose end you just finished modifying...
Here is how it should look...
20130110_154118_zps6cc1902f.jpg

Do the same with your drivers side and you are ready to tighten things down... Here is a pic with the hoses installed.
DSC_0041_zpsbcf5b4fd.jpg

DSC_0045_zps682a5e4c.jpg

Install your Battery and check for clearance... its going to be tight but if you are worried just get some wire loom and cover the battery wires that are close to the can...
20130103_141515_zps81d54f49.jpg

I had some 1 inch spacers on mine and as you can see i had to trim the engine cover to clear the hose....
20130111_124806_zpsae0d9ab5.jpg

Now sit back and enjoy the view...
20130110_172339_zps918dff98.jpg

20130103_141525_zps7161d615.jpg

S197OnSpray

Established Member
Thanks for the great write up. I've had the Peterson catch can on my mind to swap my JLT's out for ever since I saw it on a Cobra jet. Great looking setup, definitely will be picking this unit up.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Did you remove the check valve from inside the PCV valve already? Just thought i would mention that if you haven't already since using it for a catch can setup now. Nice install though, came out very clean.

87hatchy

Established Member
Nice setup but why the trouble when the JLT piece installs in 1 minute?

I don't know if this is the correct answer, but this is my guess...

There is a lot more crankcase pressure in a boosted application and therefore much more oil that gets blown out of the PCV areas, and a catch can of this size with bigger hoses does two things 1) allows more pressure to escape than the factory hoses with small JLT can (better for engine longevity), and 2) holds more oil and won't fill up super fast like the JLT one would. Just look at all that oil on the intake tube...

Plus it takes oil from both sides to 1 can, which is more convenient

Last edited:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I don't know if this is the correct answer, but this is my guess...

There is a lot more crankcase pressure in a boosted application and therefore much more oil that gets blown out of the PCV areas, and a catch can of this size with bigger hoses does two things 1) allows more pressure to escape than the factory hoses with small JLT can (better for engine longevity), and 2) holds more oil and won't fill up super fast like the JLT one would. Just look at all that oil on the intake tube...

Plus it takes oil from both sides to 1 can, which is more convenient

That makes sense to me. Too bad this size an was out of my price range at the time, plus I'm just an I/E car right now on DD duties...not like I need it.

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
That makes sense to me. Too bad this size an was out of my price range at the time, plus I'm just an I/E car right now on DD duties...not like I need it.

You can't use a jlt on the passenger side for the simple fact that it hooks to your intake manifold so with the procharger you will actually be blowing boosted air Into your crankcase which would totally defeat the purpose. Not because of the amount of oil it will hold.

Last edited:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
You can't use a jlt on the passenger side for the simple fact that it hooks to your intake manifold so with the procharger you will actually be blowing boosted air Into your crankcase which would totally defeat the purpose. Not because of the amount of oil it will hold.

Maybe I was simply agreeing with his explanation?

alex12gt

Established Member

ive got a jlt on the pass side of my tvs and its hooked to my intake manifold and plenum.......jlt actually makes them for my setup:pop:

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
ive got a jlt on the pass side of my tvs and its hooked to my intake manifold and plenum.......jlt actually makes them for my setup:pop:

Yeah but that setup is pulling vacuum because of the blower so it works for you on your TVS setup. The procharger you can't do it because the boost would push out of the manifold and through the jlt catch can and Into the crankcase. So it would pressurize it.

stang8psi

Established Member
How bad are the fumes? and can the vapor be seen coming out of the can?

I just did this pcv delete yesterday. Used A Allstar performance vented catch can, capped off manifold and blower inlets. Don't mind my missing coil cover, was doing plugs at the same time

2013-03-13_15-39-13_663.jpg

2013-03-13_15-39-21_154.jpg

2013-03-13_15-39-29_774.jpg

2013-03-13_15-39-40_33.jpg

Last edited:

optica1ilusionz

Established Member
I'm about to purchase everything for this. I assume the pcv check valve would need to be removed as well? I'm still NA for now, ive only ever run a breather tank setup on boosted motors, would i have any problems running this setup NA?

Users who are viewing this thread